The veil

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadua21

Thank you Gia, thank you Zorba...
I really would like to learn veils... they look so beautiful. I love how the silk one in this video flows. It looks like butterfly wings!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thank you Gia, thank you Zorba...
I really would like to learn veils... they look so beautiful. I love how the silk one in this video flows. It looks like butterfly wings!
Yes, and they make you feel totally beautiful and divine when you're dancing with them. That's why dancers like veils!

Maria - we're gonna have to hook up next time egw eimai sthn Ellada - but Goddess only knows when that will be what with the exchange rate and the post Olympic inflation.

TinaL

I love veil dancing. Haven't gotten into the double veils yet; still trying to accomplish single veil. I wish we would do more in class with veils; I love the flow and swirl of them!

Gia al Qamar

This weekend I'm dancing 7 veils off my body, including a pair of beautiful double silk veils...I premiered the number 2 weeks ago to FANTASTIC feedback and tearful audience members! I can't wait to get it to the stage again!
Gia

KuteNurse

I just went to the fabric store last week and bought chiffon/georgette material in royal blue that I am using for my veil dancing. I have just learned some basic moves so far, but I like it and I am always tangled up and laughing! :lol:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
This weekend I'm dancing 7 veils off my body, including a pair of beautiful double silk veils...I premiered the number 2 weeks ago to FANTASTIC feedback and tearful audience members! I can't wait to get it to the stage again!
Gia
Gia, I just *HATE* you! ;):D:lol:

Seriously, I've been playing with this idea for years, but there's always been something else to dance - how long is your routine? Any tips?

Gia al Qamar

Gia, I just *HATE* you! ;):D:lol:

Seriously, I've been playing with this idea for years, but there's always been something else to dance - how long is your routine? Any tips?

Don't hate me...celebrate that we're of the same mind and really enjoy the same things!
I decided to dance this to a wonderful East Indian Ghazal that is about 6 minutes long.
My BEST suggestion to you is to choose a song that will give you enough time to dance WITH the veils, and not spend the entire song worrying about removing them.
I take about 15 full minutes to veil...each one has to be 'set' correctly to be released properly and then danced off in a specific order.
Each veil (two sets of double veils) 'performed' in different ways...as sails, as semi-circles, as 'ribbons'.
So each veil was danced in a different way...each unique and each adding to the story...
Enjoy!
Gia

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Now Gia, I *was* just teasing - I think you're the greatest! :D

Sounds like you've addressed all the issues that have been on my mind. With that many veils on a dancer's body, s/he must have everything pre-planned and setup right. My biggest fear would be having two veils come undone when I was trying to loosen just one, etc, etc. I figured the best way to do a "Seven Veils Dance (tm)", would be to enter with a pair of half circles and start the routine with double veil movements - that way I'd only have to stash 5 veils somewhere on my body. Complicating matters for me is that I have no bra straps to anchor things under - there are ways around that, but it still adds another layer of complexity. I could even wear at least one veil in my hair - making sure I didn't get it tangled with the double veils...

Oh my! Its been a while since I thought about this - there's a LOT to think about! :lol:

Gia al Qamar

"Seven Veils Dance (tm)",

You'll have a hard time trademarking that name my friend...it's been in use for hundreds of years...
Mine was called the '7-Veils Dance...Give or Take'.
But...
Yes...you're right...it's all in the preparation and execution of removing each veil...I did the semi-circles after removing 4 veils...I entered with a single veil overhead...I also did one in my hair...very dramatic!
Gia

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
You'll have a hard time trademarking that name my friend...it's been in use for hundreds of years...
Mine was called the '7-Veils Dance...Give or Take'.
But...
Yes...you're right...it's all in the preparation and execution of removing each veil...I did the semi-circles after removing 4 veils...I entered with a single veil overhead...I also did one in my hair...very dramatic!
Gia
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was *MY* trademark! It was one of my many sarcasms...

I'd be worried about the veil-in-hair getting tangled with the veil(s)-in-motion. How did you handle that? Was it the second veil?

Gia al Qamar

Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was *MY* trademark! It was one of my many sarcasms...

I'd be worried about the veil-in-hair getting tangled with the veil(s)-in-motion. How did you handle that? Was it the second veil?

Yeah, yeah. The first was the overhead veil, the second was tucked in at two points at the back hip and attached to my hair with a clip. I did a full on veil movments with the entrance veil, circling the body, over head and back, then removed the 2nd veil from my hair and worked it in 'sail' fashion while it was tucked into my hip, then working my way out of that...
I've actually had half a dozen requests to put the number on video by members of the two audiences that I danced this for this season...if I do...I'll definately let you know so that you can see it!
Gia

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yeah, yeah. The first was the overhead veil, the second was tucked in at two points at the back hip and attached to my hair with a clip. I did a full on veil movments with the entrance veil, circling the body, over head and back, then removed the 2nd veil from my hair and worked it in 'sail' fashion while it was tucked into my hip, then working my way out of that...
I've actually had half a dozen requests to put the number on video by members of the two audiences that I danced this for this season...if I do...I'll definitely let you know so that you can see it!
Gia
Sounds cool - looking forward to the video. "Gia's Secrets of the Seven Veils" or some such....

Now to combine it with Shemadan!

Status
Not open for further replies.