The veil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gia al Qamar

I feel very strongly about veil dancing...does that count? :p
I actually have formed a very strong attachement to my double silk veils and love to mold shapes in the air with them...but I also love my rectangular chiffons too...
Gia

lylyth

The veil is that little something that can easily hide my shyness or hide the tiredness off my face, or just give me the feeling of support. It is a strange way to bond with something and make it a part of me. But it grew into addiction to scarves, veils etc. :p

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
HA!

I'm not called "The Veiled Male" for nothing!

And I'll add what Gia said.

Shanazel

Veil is my favorite prop. I would love to learn to use a double veil, but haven't managed to handle a double is such a way that I'm willing to let anyone see me do it.

miss_shimmy

:)

well,I got my veil a few days ago,and danced with it for the first time tonight,just a little,and goodness me,I loved it so much!

a double veil,wow that must be quite huge!!

do you remember when you first picked up your veil and had a try?

smiles :) :p

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Double veil

Excuse my ignorance - I've not done much with a veil apart from getting tired arms and tangled up :( ). And overheating in a melaya!:D

What is "double veil" - two veils or one King size (Queen size?) veil?

Mouse

I love veils and the way they look, unfortunately I feel like I spend most of my time fighting with mine, so I guess I like other peoples veils more than mine :rolleyes:

gwinity

Aniseteph, double veil is two veils. I recently learned how to weild both, and it's kinda fun. Tangled, but fun. :D

I kinda like dancing with a veil, but I've come across something in my BD books that bothers me: wrapping the veil around you, and peeling it off as you dance. To me, that's pretty much affirming or legitimising the stripper-esque stereotype of BD!!

Gia al Qamar

I've come across something in my BD books that bothers me: wrapping the veil around you, and peeling it off as you dance. To me, that's pretty much affirming or legitimising the stripper-esque stereotype of BD!!

Only if you do it like a stripper.
Unveiling isn't sexual when a bride lifts her veil to greet her groom now is it?
Technique and dancing well are the keys...always.
Gia

I love the hailf circle veils the best, it fits my frame and I have greater control over them. As a dancer you have to build strong arms and upper back muscles and use your torso to help flip and swirl the veil.
Yasmine

Aaeesha

I agree with Gia. It all depends on the technique you are using to unveil. It can be a fine line at times, but the key word is class.

gwinity

I agree with Gia. It all depends on the technique you are using to unveil. It can be a fine line at times, but the key word is class.
I guess you're right - I've never actually seen it performed, but the descriptions I've read always sounded so... tacky.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Aniseteph, double veil is two veils.

Thanks! ;) I have been enlightened.

Take a look at the very topmost picture on my main page for an idea of one thing that can be done with two veils:

http://www.doubleveil.net

For those just learning veil, do remember that there isn't a veil dancer on the planet who hasn't had tired arms and spent more time tangled in their veil(s) than on the outside of them! May I suggest this article on my site, "So You Want to be a Veil Dancer, Huh?":

http://www.doubleveil.net/veildancer.htm

Shanazel

Oh, funny, Zorba. What a way to start my morning! I took to veils and they to me quite easily, perhaps because the day I picked up my first veil I had just spent six months putting up barbed wire fence across remarkably rugged terrain and had strength in my arms like you wouldn't believe. I could practice for hours and not get tired. My students are always astonished by the amount of strength and endurance it takes to use a veil- one woman said, "How can anything so floaty be so HEAVY after five minutes??"

Jessenia

Your article it's very interesting. I read it entirely!!! I found it very funny also...

I have only practised the case in which the veil is wrapped around your head... and I hadn't thought of the other posibilitiesss, it's very important to be prepared for any complicated situation..

Thanks for the adivice! Now I'm going to practise more and try to find how can I solve those cases in which you can get panic if you didn't practise :p

rita1969

Banned
veil moves

Im still working on belly dance basics right now,ill work with veils when i become
intermediate.,more experince.Im taking notes on how to use a veil for my
notebook.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.