Oriental Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon

From what I read on the website, I think you have to sign up for the workshop on the day itself, but I don't know for sure. I'll send them an e-mail and inform you as soon as I get an answer.

Moon

absolutely, but for the price of only 5 euros, I'm not complaining ;) There will also be performances and free dancing. I think it's going to be fun!

Mariyam

Tja, considering that my finances are very tight at the moment for various reasons, a full-day event like that for 5 euries is such a treat! :) Ok, I'll have to spend more than 5 euries to get there by train, but anyways! My only concerns are available time and getting the ok from my doctor (long story - e-mail me for details ;)), but by then I should know if I can go or not...

But I DO want to go :(

Yshka

I would also love to go. For just 5 euro's it should be great if there's so much going on like the site tells us. I've sent a teacher I know an email (she is connected to Oriental Magic in some ways). I'll let you know when I get a response there too;)

I'm soooo dying to do that classic egyptian thing:D Farouq is amazing.

Moon

aaargh Yshka! Stop making me jealous! :D:D I wanted to do the classic Egyptian workshop too, but I don't have enough dance experience yet :(
Hope he'll give another workshop at this event in 2008 ;)

Moon

I've got mail back!

Here's my translation:

Dear Sarah,

Indead, a few months ago, I posted a few plans for reservations on the Oriental Magic Forum, but later we decided to drop the idea.

"Het Turfschip" has room for at least 1000 people. In case of emergency, we can involve an extra dance room, and then there will be room for almost 1500 visitors! When considering that many visitors can't even stay for the whole day, we could even cope with 2000 visitors, without refusing admission to anyone.

The workshops in the "Groot Ruim", among others the workshop for children by Madame Baba and the workshop Tribal by Gonda, are free to enter without having to sign up in advance. We can easily cope with 500 participants in the "Groot Ruim".

The other workshops in the smaller rooms have a maximum of 20 to 40 participants, and for those workshops, it is necessary to sign up. To deal with the situation as fairly as possible, we decided to don't let people sign up for the workshops untill one hour before the workshop starts.

In other words, you can sign up for a workshop one hour before it starts. Full is full. With more than 20 hours of free workshops, there is enough choice, I guess, but we want to prevent a situation where people who come very early sign up immediately for a lot of workshops and there will be no room for people who come later, that's why.

CU@OrientalMagic

Regards,
Simon

Mariyam

Perfect! Thanks Moon!

I can just see people checking their watches and then rushing like idiots to the registration lists :D

Yshka

Lol Mariyam, I would sure be one of those running idiots:D
I'm going to try and see if more people from my area are going, so I might try and get someone with a car to come with me. But anyway I'm seriously thinking of going there. Maybe we can all meet!:)

Moon, great, I hadn't gotten a response yet so I'm glad you posted this. By the way, during the summer there's Farouq and Leila's Zomerweek.Workshops are held in Utrecht all week by Farouq and another dancer named Leila. I went there a month ago (it was in July) and took two workshops by Farouq which I absolutely loved, he's really cool. Workshop levels are all half-advanced and up if I'm correct so you might want to try them later (for other workshops by him check www.farouq.nl).
I missed the opportunity to take his Classic Egyptian there since I signed up waaaaaay too late:D Anyway, I'm sure he'll give the same workshop sometime later, you'll have the chance to take it too I'm sure!!

Now I'm off to think of strategies for getting to that sign up list like mad:D

Last edited:

Moon

Thank you for the info Yshka :) I will sure take a workshop with Farouq next year or the year after if I'll get the oppertunity.

I also think everyone will run like crazy towards the registration points. Hope no-one falls and gets hurt ;)

It would be great to meat both of you by the way (and other forum members if they can come :))

Yshka

That's great Moon, we really should all meet. I'm going to try and find out who's coming with me, but we could try and arrange a meeting there lol.:D

Mariyam

And? Did any of you attend the workshops? :confused: If so, how was it????

I really couldn't attend, it's absolutely crazy around here :( I have no time because my studies are swallowing it all and I cannot dance either (for now at least...) :cool:

Moon

Yes, Yshka and I were both there, but we didn't meet each other :(

However it was very nice! I've done a zills workshop and a Turkish bellyfolk workshop, danced freely (or I tried :p), bought some stuff and watched a few performances. And I tried to follow a classical Egyptian workshop, but was so tired at that moment that I stopped earlier to just watch.

What a pity you couldn't make it, Mariyam. You should really try to go next year, it's so much fun! And then we should all meet :D

Yshka

Hi Mariyam,

Moon is right, we both went there. I attended a Bollywood dance workshop with Sheila, the classical Egyptian one Moon is talking about (we didn't meet, too bad) and a masterclass in Raqs Sharqi by Yasmin Yildiz (in one word, Amazing!). I also got a beautiful new hipscarf and watched some performances.

I had a great time. I hope you can attend next year, I'm definitely going to, and if Moon is going too, we should really arrange something:D

Status
Not open for further replies.