whats next for a beginner

sstacy123

Charity I've found myself in a similar position now where I was looking for new DVDs but many cover the same basic things that I've already got DVDs on (not that I don't appreciate hearing things explained differently) and the advanced DVDs...I was talking with a friend and was saying how my dance felt stuck (she called it constipated) but I feel like I'm on a breakthrough...I think at this point I'm starting to try to watch some of the combination vidoes...and I'm trying to watch and study dancers dancing...I know traveling steps but I don't feel like I'm using them...and Moon is probably right...I need to stop watching myself! I do have a teacher but we have spent soo much time on a choreography we haven't been doing too much new stuff...I'm really excited about the session we're in now but it's going to be a short one...

Aisha Azar

DVDs etc

Charity I've found myself in a similar position now where I was looking for new DVDs but many cover the same basic things that I've already got DVDs on (not that I don't appreciate hearing things explained differently) and the advanced DVDs...I was talking with a friend and was saying how my dance felt stuck (she called it constipated) but I feel like I'm on a breakthrough...I think at this point I'm starting to try to watch some of the combination vidoes...and I'm trying to watch and study dancers dancing...I know traveling steps but I don't feel like I'm using them...and Moon is probably right...I need to stop watching myself! I do have a teacher but we have spent soo much time on a choreography we haven't been doing too much new stuff...I'm really excited about the session we're in now but it's going to be a short one...

Dear Stacy and Charity,
Movement in belly dance is not infinite, so often you WILL get the same things on different videos as far as movement content. You should also be getting the same messages about other aspects of the dance, such as the concept of spirit and essence of different dances, the musical structures, historical and sociological info, etc. If someone is way out there in left field with their info.... its probably because its drek!!
Regards,
A'isha

fadua21

I used to feel the same way. I mean, stuck... or "constipated", just doing the same two or three movements over and over again. What really has helped me is watching a lot of videos. I have chosen over 50 youtube videos of professional bellydancers (Fifi, Lucy, N.Akef, etc.) I placed them in a 'Playlist" or "Favorites" (YouTube tools), and everyday I watch a few of them. I try to concentrate in the music they are performing. I also try to focus on what they are doing with their arms while they are walking, or turning, etc. What step they connect with what mouvement, and so forth. I pause, rewind, take notes, etc. They I try to do those movements myself. I choose two or three, and practice them, until I feel they are part of me. Well, so far I think that by doing this I feel more at ease, and relaxed. I hope it helps.

All the best to you all!

Fadua

Last edited: