Hiya, from England

avani

Hiya everyone.

I'm 24, from England and going to try my first belly dancing lesson next week (24th I think) I found this forum while doing a search on belly dancing and thought I'd come and have a look.

I'm really looking forward to my first lesson, but also a bit worried, as I'm *very* overweight, we're not talking a few pounds here. I mean a BMI of over 40 and my doctors telling me if I don't lose weight I'm going to be dead in a few years. I've always been interested in belly dancing and was told it's really good exercise so I thought I'd give it a go. I was just wondering if there's anyone else on here that is in, or has been in a similar situation to mine and could offer any advice or tips?

Thank you very much.

Eve

Hi Avani,

Don't be worried all shapes, sizes and ages bellydance.
It can be good exercise if it's continuous. For now just enjoy how the movements feel, over time you may notice your body confidence increase and this may affect your diet. Welcome to our world!:dance:

Where are you taking classes?

Eve
x

Maria_Aya

Hi there:)
Welcome over here.
You took the right decision to start bellydance as its gonna change your life, physical, pcycological and mental.
Oriental dance gives a great boost to self believe and this is what people with not ideal measures (according to the today rules) need.
It helped me alot, and i'm sure its gonna help you

Welcome
Maria Aya, Greece

Farasha Hanem

Sorry to be late with my welcome, avani. You have made the first step towards changing your life for the better. :) Bellydance is a wonderful way to get your body in shape, if done on a routine basis. I hope your doctor has spoken to you about eating healthier, because exercise and a change in eating habits go hand-in-hand. I wish you well on your road to recovering and reclaiming your life; you now have many friends here to support you. :)