Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the absolute bellydance hell

Hi Maria,it is terrible that this is still happening ,it has not changed sindts i started dancing so many years ago,I posted a very long message on medance list about the same subject...perhaps we can think about a systeem in the dance community triyng to protect eachother,like contact a dancer in that area to give info about the club in question...i do that for dancers that come to dubai and are new here or new in this business,i give them info about good and bad in this place what is going on.....i am lucky with my girls they listen when i say NO you can not go there and the trust my judgement...But for some girls it is a difficult problem because plenty girls come from poor country,s and realy need the money and see it as a big change,so it is difficult for them to say no.....It happens a lot all over the world Also the problem is new be,s do not have to proper info,it is not avaliable beside asking you teacher where to go? there are to many clubs and agents enz.promising and ending up beiing cheaters....dancers have to wake up,it is not all roses, i mailed last week a dancer from the list about another problem that we have is this...i helped plenty dancers that have trouble,s simmilair to what you mention above...foreign dancers coming to the middle east and ending up in trouble.Than when they go back home ,i read in ther webside,s that they came here and worked here and beeing big stars enz. And i know that half of it is just fabricated story,s telling that the places they perform was so great and( i know the places are verry low class clubs like the one you just mention) and that they left sometimes without salaris from months or forced to stay with man enz...and stil i read that in the webside i am a big star in Egypt or Dubai ....I asked this girls why do you write that ? after all you bin treu ? they say it is good for my future, people think that if i have performed succesfully in those country,s that i am realy a good dancer.BUt in the mean time other artist are reading this and think cool if she can do it why not me ....And they take risks of coming and going to places they know nothing about....Please for all that read the above mail from Maria remember this story this girls have been lucky to have friends it could be much wors.....Make sure you know what the place is about...many clubs dont care about how you dance they just want pretty girls to do do whatever brings money for the club owner ...Please be aware! Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lydia
    And have also to say a BIG thank you to Lydia, that helped a certain Greece dancer last year, that wanted to work at Dubai (yes Lydia I gave your adress to that one ).
    So yes what Lydia proposed is a good idea.
    Contact the dancers that already exist in the area.
    Some dancers were saying to me, yeah right the local dancers will be jealous bla bla, but till now from personal experience, all the times i spoke with local dancers for info for a student/new dancer they always really honestly helped

Maybe we can have a "safe list" with dancers/teachers from each area?

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Default the absolute bellydance hell

Your welcome Maria ...Yes i know what you mean when people will say o other local dancer wil be jalouse and dont want new dancers around,but if you look for good establised dancers that have been around for some time it might work ....but i wil be the first one for the safe list idea that is for sure...Have a great weekend,whit lots of dancing Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    Maybe we can have a "safe list" with dancers/teachers from each area?

Maria Aya
    Maria, that is a brilliant idea! And when the list is more or less together, we have to do our best to spread it around... Because not all girls are lucky enough to have found this brilliant forum or any other way to communicate with the dancing community abroad!

Post Thanks / Like

What an awful story! Thy are *so* lucky to be ok! That's just another reason to stress personal safety and caution. Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree, that the "safe list" is a great idea! And that we should try to spread it in many forums. On the other hand, many of those girls who are naive enough to believe that they can go to another country any time and they will make a wonderful belly dance career just like this, usually don't participate forums and don't really get informed about what's going on. Most of them are just dreamers and have unrealistic goals. They don't even have a realistic estimation of their own abilities and skills and of what it means to be a professional belly dancer. So I wonder how we can reach this kind of chicks in order to warn them about what could happen to them, if they are not careful. Any ideas?
    By the way Maria, how did your students get this offer at all? Did they get contacted by the "club", or did they contact the "club"? Can you tell more about this procedure, so that people here in forum get a better idea about how those suspect clubs operate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahy, Maria -- Thank goodness they're safe!!

What an amazing story-- I'm so glad they are back safe and probably will never repeat this again. THanks for letting everyone know about this - it can't hurt to be reminded about such things, anywhere, anytime -- Please give them a hug for me (after those 6,000 shimmies, was it?) -- LOL - Ludy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chryssanthi sahar View Post
    So I wonder how we can reach this kind of chicks in order to warn them about what could happen to them, if they are not careful. Any ideas?
    Well, we can't reach them all, but we can at least make an attempt. We can post it on the website here and then advertise it in the other discussion forums. Maybe our IT wizard Anatoly can come up with a brilliant idea how to make this list easier to find over internet (search engines). We have a good amount of countries represented right here on the forum - we can all contact the dance studios and teachers in our area to spread the word and the list. There are also respective NGOs and state institutions dealing with the topis of labour abroad, trafficing etc we can get in touch with.

Ok, it might sound something extremely complicated and big-scale, but it isn't really. If we all chip in a bit with our effort. We just need to get the word go around... Don't know... I think it would help to some extent...

Maariku

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Chryssanthi and mates
    The whole thing was very well planed.
    And here I must kick a special greek manager also (she is a WOMAN!!!).
    In Athens exist around 10 managers/agent officies for dance in general, bellydance, free style, clubs, etc.
    I dont know them all, but from what I've heard and what I see happening, none of them are caring about the artistic part of the dance.
    So one of these women managers contacted the 2 dancers (they are both teachers also, meaning they are not new in this) and told them that a manager from Cyprus is coming to Athens to select dancers for a contract in Cyprus. So the girls met the manager from Pafos, from what they said she was like 55 years old, old lady style, business women, they had a huge conversation on the costumes, on the make up, hair, the hours they will work, the contitions of the appartment they would stay in etc. She gave them money before and also booked and payed for them the tickets to go to Cyprus. Now for me when i spoke to them the first problem was that the "manager" didnt mentioned the name of the club !!! I asked why and they said that when they asked, she said that there were some and she was not sure in which one they would be at !!! This is not an answer from a manager!!!
    Anywa, now i know more details, from the min the Mafia Guys picked them from the airport till the last min where the Fire Men helped them, and my friend etc, and I'm really glad they are back.
    Both of them are in shock, but more the one that she is locked in her house and crying for days, she cant believe that this happened to her, stories that she have heard came real. The other one that owns also a dance school, gave me the keys of the school and said that till she is ok, she dont wanna do anything with dance, she need vacations.
    What was the shocking is not that things like these exist but that it happened to them.
    Nothing is ideal even in Greece but it is cleared from the begining.
    When a dancer goes to a place to dance the boss/manager speak clear.
    a) 20 min dance + 20 min dance, from 1 am to 3 am, from 30 - 100 euro.
    b) 20 min dance + 20 min dance, from 1 am to 4 am, and customers open champains to the dancers, 100 - 150 euro.
    c) 20 min dance + 20 min dance, from 1 am to 5 am, and dancers go and sit at the tables, 150 - 250 euro.
    d) the c situation, plus the dancer can follow the clients if she wants (money not specifying)
    e) Hating all of these and not dancing to places lol

So at least its clear, and we know which places do what

Maria Aya

p.s. ofcourse Restaurants is another story, weddings, theatre, parties etc, there the things go more on the dance part and can be really a nice surprise
    Last edited by Maria_Aya; 08-04-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding

Post Thanks / Like

Default so sorry

Maria,you were so very right to be over cautious,thankx so much for sharing that story,I pray your friends return safely,please kick their butt from me,
    you were so right to be cautious with them.

hugs

miss shimmy
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast