Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Maria for posting this cautionary episode, it was a blessing for the dancers that they contacted you before they left...the horror. It continues to be an unfortunate situation where bellydancers are considered prostitutes even when the dancers intentions are honorable. So they are forced to sell their bodies for an opportunity to dance.No wonder Egypt temporarily banned foreign dancers, if only to stop the tide of forced prostitution.
    There are many lessons to be learned: It's best for a dancer to have a manager or agent to help negotiate contracts and weed out the pimps looking to exploit naive dancers.Also, keeping personal ID papers in the dancers posession and extra travel money. Not everyone views Oriental Dance as an art form when their only goal is to degrade the dancer. However, I do have a question, Why are Russian dancers the primary targets of these despicable people?
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That is truly terrifying. I have heard about the whole human trafficking thing. I think newer dancers(like myself) are so flattered when they are asked to dance that you get tunnel vision, almost. Thank God that they have a responsible teacher like you watching their backs! That could have been the last time they were ever seen.

I doubt that they will ever again take a gig(especially foreign) without your permission and chaperone. Scary stuff, especially for the younger ones. You are such a good woman, Maria. They are lucky to have you, and you should make their little fingers bleed with blistering doumbek drills!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123