Understanding and Respecting the BellyDance

TavernaT

Hello, I'm new to the forums here. This is an introduction as well as something that I have a question about....not sure what thread to put it in though.

But I have a situation. It might not be a big deal or anything, it might be nothing.

I went to this restaurant. They had belly dancers there, I was with a great group of friends having a good time. I typically don't do the whole "dance with the belly dancer thing, I try to not make eye contact or anything, I have a thing with doing that of thing front of a bunch of people."

Anyways, the evening was winding down , and they brought out this belly dancer.

She gets right on top of the table right where we're sitting at, right in front of me. She puts her hand right down in front of me, wanting to me to come UP there to dance with her.....THIS caught me off-guard actually, because I didn't think they'd let customers stand on tables (esp where you eat).

So I was like "Um...sure...okay" and she helps me up.

My friends thought it was a riot because, apparently, they had not seen this side of me before....some were quite delighted that I "came out of my shell" (heck, I'm not that non-social).

So, they decided to take photos of me and the belly dancer, one was somewhat provacative...I'll have to describe it to you though.

At that particular position, she had her back to me, and I was behind her...she's doing her dance...and then she LEANS back toward me so that I am seeing down...well, her...topside. The photo is taken from the front, so it's pretty obvious that I'm looking at one thing, and one thing only.....my friends thought it was a trip.

Okay, I go home and decide to look up the restaurant on MySpace. Well, turns out she's there too along with alot of belly dancing enthusiasts, I would have to say it's a pretty popular place if you want to promote your talent.

I saw her profile about her and added her as a friend, I sent her a message saying something about how I enjoyed our "Dinner and Dancing", kinda of flirted with hera bit.

She answered back, with a "ha ha" I am glad you had a good time, nice to see you on here, glad you found me."

And I made a "Comment" in her comment section, and you know how sometimes people put up those cute photos saying "Thanks for the add"

Well, I did the same thing, but with that provocative photo.

She deleted the comment...and I was wondering if she was offended by perhaps disrespecting the art or something.

What do you think? I would like to be educated in this manner, your help would be greatly appreciated.

KuteNurse

Hello, I'm new to the forums here. This is an introduction as well as something that I have a question about....not sure what thread to put it in though.

But I have a situation. It might not be a big deal or anything, it might be nothing.

I went to this restaurant. They had belly dancers there, I was with a great group of friends having a good time. I typically don't do the whole "dance with the belly dancer thing, I try to not make eye contact or anything, I have a thing with doing that of thing front of a bunch of people."

Anyways, the evening was winding down , and they brought out this belly dancer.

She gets right on top of the table right where we're sitting at, right in front of me. She puts her hand right down in front of me, wanting to me to come UP there to dance with her.....THIS caught me off-guard actually, because I didn't think they'd let customers stand on tables (esp where you eat).

So I was like "Um...sure...okay" and she helps me up.

My friends thought it was a riot because, apparently, they had not seen this side of me before....some were quite delighted that I "came out of my shell" (heck, I'm not that non-social).

So, they decided to take photos of me and the belly dancer, one was somewhat provacative...I'll have to describe it to you though.

At that particular position, she had her back to me, and I was behind her...she's doing her dance...and then she LEANS back toward me so that I am seeing down...well, her...topside. The photo is taken from the front, so it's pretty obvious that I'm looking at one thing, and one thing only.....my friends thought it was a trip.

Okay, I go home and decide to look up the restaurant on MySpace. Well, turns out she's there too along with alot of belly dancing enthusiasts, I would have to say it's a pretty popular place if you want to promote your talent.

I saw her profile about her and added her as a friend, I sent her a message saying something about how I enjoyed our "Dinner and Dancing", kinda of flirted with hera bit.

She answered back, with a "ha ha" I am glad you had a good time, nice to see you on here, glad you found me."

And I made a "Comment" in her comment section, and you know how sometimes people put up those cute photos saying "Thanks for the add"

Well, I did the same thing, but with that provocative photo.

She deleted the comment...and I was wondering if she was offended by perhaps disrespecting the art or something.

What do you think? I would like to be educated in this manner, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I tend to guess she got uncomfortable with you continually posting and then putting up that picture. Belly dancers take this dance very seriously. The picture was probably too much for her, not to mention she was trying to keep her professional status untainted. Perhaps you read into something that wasn't there between the two of you?

TavernaT

I tend to guess she got uncomfortable with you continually posting and then putting up that picture. Belly dancers take this dance very seriously. The picture was probably too much for her, not to mention she was trying to keep her professional status untainted. Perhaps you read into something that wasn't there between the two of you?

I wasn't continually posting anything, just posted that photo once, and that was it.

Dev

Many think Belly Dance is an erotic art , some kind of seducing movement and belly dancers are always available for a good root. So most of the Belly dancers are quite careful about their image and how they perceived by others . Posting the provocating picture probably did not help with the situation , Not to worry mate , you are just one of the thousands who will do the same thing as you did, all you can do is nothing, just take the photo down if possible, It will save her from some embarrassment.

Welcome to the forum, You have joined the right place. Stay active, you will learn a lot.