Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playing Middle Eastern instruments

Yesterday, I went to a mini concert of this Egyptian Ud player and I was so impressed! Almost to the point I wanted to learn how to play myself. Well, I spend too much money on dance lessons now to think music lessons, but it made me wonder. Did any of you learn how to play a Middle Eastern instrument outside of the Middle East?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Open to learning new things

Ever since I started belly dancing, I've wanted to learn to play a Middle Eastern musical instrument; I think I'll do a little research on the availability of instruments and teachers in my area. Thanks, Moon, you're inspired me!

Post Thanks / Like

I dabble with the darbuka, I never really find the time to practice at home though (unlike dancing I can't drum everywhere (too noisy )

Post Thanks / Like

Well, every belly dancer does play an instrument really -- the zils/sagat.

But I know what you mean. I play the tabla reasonably well, some djembe, and am learning the riq now. My husband wants to get a bouzouki and I would love to learn the violin or the oud eventually; we both play guitar so it probably won't be terribly difficult -- they're all tuned the same as a mandolin so we're familiar with that.

Tabla players are a dime a dozen in my town (although good ones are rare) and those who actually know the songs and can play to them are even more rare, so that's my husband's and my direction right now -- to learn the tabla and riq to the most common ME songs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still working on my zills technique -- it's not a big thing for my teacher's styles but I'd like to learn them for fun, at least.

Also been eying doumbeks lately -- we have a store in town that sells nothing but drums of all kinds, and some of them are really lovely, besides sounding wonderful. I suspect learning to play one would help me to some extent in dancing and vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

NO,NO MOON,dont do it what if you get addicted????????WE ARE GONNA BE IN TROUBLE you will not have time to mail anymore dancing is enough!!LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I've just started a little dabble with the tabla, but the album "Eshta's hot drum solos" is still a very distant dream! Time to practice is hard, pity there's no headphone socket on these things...

Moon, I would say that your fingers must be in great shape from your thousands of posts on OD.net, and as such would recommend the tabla ! But I'm with Lydia - DON'T GET ADDICTED! We'd miss you!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey There are too things I want to learn- Zills (I am just mezmerized by the ability of some dancers to dance while playing!!!) And doumbek!!!

I got the DVD of Doumbek, but nothing to practice on! I really need to get one in portable size(to fit in my suit case or carry-on...LOL)

I think I really lack the feeling of rythm and I believe such practice would help alot!! Hey Moon, bring your doumbek I have DVD so we can have some fun...LOL LOL LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Suhad View Post
    Well, every belly dancer does play an instrument really -- the zils/sagat.

But I know what you mean. I play the tabla reasonably well, some djembe, and am learning the riq now. My husband wants to get a bouzouki and I would love to learn the violin or the oud eventually; we both play guitar so it probably won't be terribly difficult -- they're all tuned the same as a mandolin so we're familiar with that.

Tabla players are a dime a dozen in my town (although good ones are rare) and those who actually know the songs and can play to them are even more rare, so that's my husband's and my direction right now -- to learn the tabla and riq to the most common ME songs.
    Is the oud similar to the violin? If so, maybe that's what I'll learn to play.

Too bad you don't live in my town, Suhad, and that I'm not an accredited teacher; it's been my lifelong dream to teach the violin.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by newbiedancer View Post
    Is the oud similar to the violin? If so, maybe that's what I'll learn to play.

Too bad you don't live in my town, Suhad, and that I'm not an accredited teacher; it's been my lifelong dream to teach the violin.
    Hey newbie, I am coming....LOL might take 10 years though... LOL I have always wanted to play at least SOMETHING... so far succeded only with playing fool and on the nerves... Pssss... I cant drive a car, but drive ppl up the wall sucessfully.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast