Playing Middle Eastern instruments

Moon

Yesterday, I went to a mini concert of this Egyptian Ud player and I was so impressed! Almost to the point I wanted to learn how to play myself. Well, I spend too much money on dance lessons now to think music lessons, but it made me wonder. Did any of you learn how to play a Middle Eastern instrument outside of the Middle East?

Farasha Hanem

Open to learning new things

Ever since I started belly dancing, I've wanted to learn to play a Middle Eastern musical instrument; I think I'll do a little research on the availability of instruments and teachers in my area. Thanks, Moon, you're inspired me! :)

nicknack

I dabble with the darbuka, I never really find the time to practice at home though (unlike dancing I can't drum everywhere (too noisy :( )

Suhad

Well, every belly dancer does play an instrument really -- the zils/sagat.

But I know what you mean. I play the tabla reasonably well, some djembe, and am learning the riq now. My husband wants to get a bouzouki and I would love to learn the violin or the oud eventually; we both play guitar so it probably won't be terribly difficult -- they're all tuned the same as a mandolin so we're familiar with that.

Tabla players are a dime a dozen in my town (although good ones are rare) and those who actually know the songs and can play to them are even more rare, so that's my husband's and my direction right now -- to learn the tabla and riq to the most common ME songs.

Kharmine

I'm still working on my zills technique -- it's not a big thing for my teacher's styles but I'd like to learn them for fun, at least.

Also been eying doumbeks lately -- we have a store in town that sells nothing but drums of all kinds, and some of them are really lovely, besides sounding wonderful. I suspect learning to play one would help me to some extent in dancing and vice versa.

Lydia

NO,NO MOON,dont do it what if you get addicted????????WE ARE GONNA BE IN TROUBLE you will not have time to mail anymore dancing is enough!!LOL

Eshta

I've just started a little dabble with the tabla, but the album "Eshta's hot drum solos" is still a very distant dream! Time to practice is hard, pity there's no headphone socket on these things...

Moon, I would say that your fingers must be in great shape from your thousands of posts on OD.net, and as such would recommend the tabla :lol:! But I'm with Lydia - DON'T GET ADDICTED! We'd miss you!

Reen.Blom

Hey There are too things I want to learn- Zills (I am just mezmerized by the ability of some dancers to dance while playing!!!) And doumbek!!!

I got the DVD of Doumbek, but nothing to practice on! I really need to get one in portable size(to fit in my suit case or carry-on...LOL)

I think I really lack the feeling of rythm and I believe such practice would help alot!! Hey Moon, bring your doumbek I have DVD so we can have some fun...LOL LOL LOL

Farasha Hanem

Well, every belly dancer does play an instrument really -- the zils/sagat.

But I know what you mean. I play the tabla reasonably well, some djembe, and am learning the riq now. My husband wants to get a bouzouki and I would love to learn the violin or the oud eventually; we both play guitar so it probably won't be terribly difficult -- they're all tuned the same as a mandolin so we're familiar with that.

Tabla players are a dime a dozen in my town (although good ones are rare) and those who actually know the songs and can play to them are even more rare, so that's my husband's and my direction right now -- to learn the tabla and riq to the most common ME songs.

Is the oud similar to the violin? If so, maybe that's what I'll learn to play. :)

Too bad you don't live in my town, Suhad, and that I'm not an accredited teacher; it's been my lifelong dream to teach the violin. :(

Reen.Blom

Is the oud similar to the violin? If so, maybe that's what I'll learn to play. :)

Too bad you don't live in my town, Suhad, and that I'm not an accredited teacher; it's been my lifelong dream to teach the violin. :(

Hey newbie, I am coming....LOL might take 10 years though... LOL I have always wanted to play at least SOMETHING... so far succeded only with playing fool and on the nerves... Pssss... I cant drive a car, but drive ppl up the wall sucessfully.......:lol::tongue:

Suhad

The oud is the ancestor of the guitar and the lute; it doesn't have frets like a guitar does so you can get those luscious quarter tones that give such great shades of feeling but which also make it very hard to play.

John Bilezekjian who is probably one of the premier oud players in America today played for Dolphina's DVD series, along with a classical guitar player; if you've heard those you've heard an oud. If you do a google search for him, it should take you to his site where you can listen to samples of his music. I highly recommend it.

The violin's ancestor is the rebab (or rebaba) which is played sitting upright in one's lap rather than like a violin is played.

Hubby actually bought a violin several years ago with the intention of learning to play; he got to the point where he could play the scales and easy tunes without making our teeth hurt and the cats run for cover and then he just quit...so there it sits. I think it might be worth my while to pay for a private lesson like once a month (eventually) to learn the basics. The major obstacle for me will be learning a right handed instrument -- I can play my husband's guitar and the mandolin but it doesn't sound very good comparatively because I don't have the finger strength in my left the way I do in my right.

I wish you lived near me too! I would love to learn!

I played the flute, sax, and oboe until I was in my 20's; I guess I could play a mizmar (ancestor of the oboe) but they're extremely annoying after about 15 minutes...:D

*sigh* if only it were possible to actually make a living at making music...

Kharmine

The finest oud player I know is from my former hometown --Richard Hagopian, who is Armenian-American. Unfortunately, he hasn't got a good video on YouTube yet.

But he's been around a long time and has a slew of fine CDs.

Moon

Aaaw you sweet ladies :D ofcourse I wo't forget to visit the forum (was in Rotterdam yesterday so I missed a whole day already :shok:.
Don't worry, I don't have the money know to pay for music lessons and the school of music in my town only teaches Western instruments and African drum. So I'll just practice dancing with zills right now :D

By the way I found the website of the Ud player I saw
index