Help with my Infinity!!!

Ecuabellydancer

Hi everyone,

This morning I had my weekly dance class (every Sunday from 10 to 12) and I just feel so frustrated because we´ve been practicing for a while the infinity (horizontal eight) that starts on the floor (you do the eight figure from the bottom until you are standing straight) and I just can´t do it.

I loose my balance most of the time, and when I am able to go upward without falling, I just can´t do the eight :(

BTW, we have to do this with our heels lifted, I read somewhere here that the infinity can also be done with heels on the floor, but until now the only way I´ve learned it is by lifting them.

Any tips please? I am starting to think this is one movement that I will never be able to do :shok:

Reen.Blom

I think you should take it step by step and start with practicing it WITHOUT change of level! Then at least you do not have to worry about losing balance. Once you are comfortable with doing the figure 8ths standing you can learn it with bending knees.

It is easier to start learning the move with heels lifted, this is how I did it. Later when I was more in control of my muscules I managed to keep my feet flat.

Do you have any particular questions above the basic move?

Plus I find it helpful to have a good instructional DVD in addition to class to practice and home and also hear a different teacher explain the move.

Ecuabellydancer

Thanks for the tip, but the thing is that I have no problem doing the 8th figure while standing, I can even do it moving downward.

The problem is trying to begin it from the bottom, and maintainig it while moving upward.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :rolleyes:

Aniseteph

Hmmm - so the 8 is OK but you can't do it moving from very bent knees to up on the balls of your feet? (ie changing the level going upwards).

I'm not a teacher but I learnt the plain vertical 8's the same as you with the heels coming up. And if you've been learning them that way maybe you are relying a little on using your feet/heels to push your hip up. This would tend to push you out of centre and off balance.

IMO changing levels is MUCH easier once you can do the standing move flat footed, because then you have to do it all from the hips. Once it's all in the hips the legs are then freed up to just raise you up and down etc, and the balance stays centred.

Try doing some plain standing ones really focusing on the hips doing the work. Your hip is lifting your heel up, not your heel/leg pushing your hip. And posture is really important - I can picture really bad back stuff happening in those rising and falling 8s if you don't tuck under right.

Last edited:

Ecuabellydancer

Thank you!

Thanks Aniseteph, I will follow your advice, I actually never tried the infinity flat footed and everything you say makes sense to me, I think I am not focusing on my hips for this movement...

I will let you know how it goes :pray:

Ecuabellydancer

Hmmm - so the 8 is OK but you can't do it moving from very bent knees to up on the balls of your feet? (ie changing the level going upwards).

I'm not a teacher but I learnt the plain vertical 8's the same as you with the heels coming up. And if you've been learning them that way maybe you are relying a little on using your feet/heels to push your hip up. This would tend to push you out of centre and off balance.

IMO changing levels is MUCH easier once you can do the standing move flat footed, because then you have to do it all from the hips. Once it's all in the hips the legs are then freed up to just raise you up and down etc, and the balance stays centred.

Try doing some plain standing ones really focusing on the hips doing the work. Your hip is lifting your heel up, not your heel/leg pushing your hip. And posture is really important - I can picture really bad back stuff happening in those rising and falling 8s if you don't tuck under right.

Hey Aniseteph! it is working, I´ve been practicing and this morning, it finally happened, I could rise doing the 8 figure.... :clap: it is still a long way from been polished, but I can finally do it. You were right, it is all about concentrating on the hips been the ones that lift me, not my legs.

Thank you!!! :dance:

Aniseteph

:redface: :D Glad to be helpful.

Please check that your teacher agrees you are doing it right though!

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Hey Aniseteph! it is working, I´ve been practicing and this morning, it finally happened, I could rise doing the 8 figure.... :clap: it is still a long way from been polished, but I can finally do it. You were right, it is all about concentrating on the hips been the ones that lift me, not my legs.

Thank you!!! :dance:

Hey I am glad you are coming right!!!

Also check out that trailer on about 25 seconds Sera is showing a fun excersice to work on that can help with infinities and level changing- lifting the hips while staying on the ball of the foot and level change!

I hope the link works!!

adiemus

GREAT video - not that I think I really like this style, so very different from classical egyptian belly dance!! love the figure 8 exercise though.

Reen.Blom

I actually love this dvd- I use its "warmup" and hip drills as a light workout! Havent gotten to choreo yet, but I really like this DVD