Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

From the linked story

Rhea’s Travel to Syria …
    Part 5 –Sex and the Single Girl

to read, go to:
    http://gildedserpent.com/art36/rheasyriapart5.htm

Maybe I prefer one of them. That can be the only reason a woman alone rejects a man in the Middle East. She wants another, because if she didn’t want to be bothered by a man she wouldn’t go out alone. If she didn’t have her brother, father, husband, etc. with her, she takes a taxi.

In fact, if you are unaccompanied by a man in the Middle East (not in major hotels usually but don’t count on it) but are alone or with a group of women, you must know that whatever your stated purpose for visiting their country – tourism, shopping, business, a kidney transplant – you are there to find a man. Once you have found him, to ---- him, because you don’t need a man to protect you financially. That is obvious. You only want sex and, for some reason are unsatisfied with what you have found so far, or want a change. Otherwise you wouldn’t want be unaccompanied.

Because if you have a man, he will NEVER let you go out alone.

So ladies, is this more or less true? I would love to travel and learn more about the Middle East in person, but I have reservations about doing so. Please tell me about your experiences in the Middle East.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what we say in Greece?
    Rhea is an Idea !!!!
    She is so great as personality and you always fall down the chair laughing when you are with her, even when she say the most serious things.
    She was a hippy girl that ended to be one of the most traveled hippies and finaly got hooked with oriental dance. Was best friend with Joan Baez
    The woman is a living legend and have lived a full life.

So about the specific thing about single women in arab world.
    How it worked for me:
    Cairo, walking alone in the road? Well seems that males have a 5 metre territory where they hit women there, the min you pass their space the next one starts hitting on you.
    To me they started with arabic cause always thought i was arabic lol
    So 1st question in english:
    Are you married? (nowwwww can you believe this? not the name, not the country etc?) but are you married?????
    2nd question, after replying yes, i'm married: where is your husband? why he left his wife alone? can i come with you? can i pay you for coming with you (if he is rich)? can you pay me for coming with you (if he is poor)?
    It becomes so boring and repeating that after the 20th time, you just get so rude and not speak to anyone.
    Exactly the same thing at places where you go and buy costumes or whatever, from fruits to pepsi (coca cola doesnt exist in Egypt).
    But on the other hand, me personaly never felt threatened or scared, even at night time.
    So just get over it, be your selves, after all we are there because of our passion that we follow it.
    Same time be very carefull, dont follow anyone etc (i mean the logic things we do in the western way also)

Maria Aya

p.s. Dont say you are involved with oriental dance
    Also say that you are there with your husband for a business trip and he is working right now (this doesnt work night times lol)
    Dont got nakish out, dont wear a hijab but a more full dress type always is better to avoid these things.
    Last edited by Maria_Aya; 08-03-2006 at 07:15 AM. Reason: adding things

Post Thanks / Like

Default from the linked story

oeps,that is a big one alway,s comes back i geuss....about woman in the middle east...i dont know what is right or wrong in this but i can tell you how i go about it to stay out of trouble...Please remember i am a foreigner not a arab i live sindts 1974 in the middle east...i most say that from country to country it differants a bit ,but mostly it is ok IF and that is a big IF...you can adopt the habbits and blend in and go by the rules and and try to understand the traditions and believes of the local people....i give you some example,s about my do and donts...I dont go out short sleeves ore mini skirt or body hugging clothes....I Dont go to a open beach(just to hotel beaches)I Dont go to crowded places alone ,like markets enz. I dont socialize after or before the show ,i go and come from the backdoor of the hotel to my function so there is no change to talk to anybody that see me dancing.or know,s me..I dont talk about religion or politics to anybody,I dont talk to people in the street,beside extreme cases.I dont go out at night at all not even with people that i know,not even to a pub or other outlet in the hotels where i work and this hotels are 5 star hotels,.....It comes down to this i go to my dancefloor and back home...show always finish before midnight so i am not in the street later than that..daytime i go and teach...no minimini as they call it here out of the house, even shoppingmalls woman dont go alone if they want to be respected go with your brother husband father....again if you want to be respected ,if you dont care ok than do as you like...to be honest ...i never been realy harrased in this country,s i think its ok here ...but i know and most inportand i try to live by the rules and try to understand how and why people overhere think as they think .....b.d.w. nobody realy knows me...i am just ,,the teacher from upstairs.. no friends beside my students and ofcourse my audiance that come,s to see the show....if people realy know who i am a,, dancer,, let alone bellydancer oooo than is was a whole differant story...But for me it has been great no regrets sometime,s a bit lonely but hee who cares i got my dancefloor that is all that matters to me...i wish you happy dancing ,Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Hello ladies,
    I like what you are saying, it all makes sense. And I know lots and lots of women who take a similar response to life in the middle east and avoid what they can. I however am a little different. I tend to take a different approach to these guys. Maybe the fact that I speak Arabic has something to do with it, and the fact that I have always felt confident no matter what situation I am in. I always dress very modestly – eg long skirts, trousers, and long sleeved tops etc. (I even swim in trousers and t-shirt!) ….however, I don’t mind walking through markets alone, taking taxis alone, if I am coming back from somewhere, or going somewhere late in the night I am not afraid…..I am confident. If one of these guys tries to chat me up in any way what so-ever, the situation is like this……
    If I am in a busy market area and some ‘slime’ tries to lure me into his shop with remarks like….”ooohhh so beautiful”..”please I wanna speak with you just one minute” “hey English” etc etc or if I am walking down the street and some “sleeze” in a coffee shop wispers “ooowwaaa” or “pppsssssss” or “hello, hello, can I buy for you one drink”…..then I just blank them and stroll on past as if I am deaf.
    However, if for example I am in a taxi and the driver starts a conversation (which always starts of politely) I am always willing to respond politely, join in a conversation with him and should it in anyway go beyond what I consider polite small talk, I drag his conscience from the bottom of his gut to his mouth, and leave him feeling embarrassed with himself. For example……. This is only one of the many stories I could tell you my many many trips to Egypt……..actually this was only last week. . .

ABOUT 2 MINUTES INTO THE JORNEY….
    Taxi Driver: Excuse me where are you from?
    Me: I am from England
    Taxi Driver: ooh but you speak Arabic very well! Are your’e parents from Egypt?
    Me: no. I am 100% English ……..Il hamdullah.
    Taxi Driver: I am from Shobra
    Me: Oh Shobra’s nice, I’ve been there.
    Taxi Driver: are you here on holiday?
    Me: No, I’m working
    Taxi Driver: You are very beautifull
    Me: Thankyou
    Taxi Driver: Your eyes are beautifull
    Me: Thankyou
    Taxi Driver: What time do you want me to pick you up?
    Me: Thankyou I already have a car to go home
    Taxi Driver: But I would like to take you for a drink
    Me: No thankyou.
    Taxi Driver: oh just to chat, joke, drink something….
    Me: No thankyou
    Taxi Driver: ok we are here now. . . you know in Egypt we have a tradition, if you like a woman’s eyes you must kiss her
    Me: Here is your money. There is no such tradition. You have just met me 3 minutes ago, you don’t know me, you are a taxi driver and you want to kiss me. What kind of man are you? And you have the Koran infront of your steering wheel. Does this mean you are a Muslim?
    Taxi Driver: I am sorry
    Me: Yes, of course you are sorry, you should be sorry. This is not good what you are doing. You make the Egyptians look bad
    Taxi Driver: I am so sorry, please don’t be angry with me
    Me: I am not angry. But please don’t speak in this way again. Don’t be narrow minded and think that all western girls are like those in the American Movies.
    Taxi Driver: I am sorry, please have your money back.
    Me: No, it’s ok keep your money but think before you speak in future. Goodbye
    Taxi Driver: Goodbye.

Therefore, what I would say to any girl travelling alone is this…..as long as you are in a safe situation (eg there are other people around, you are in a well lit area etc – in my situation I waited for the taxi to stop and my door to be open before I laid into him!) be strong. Don’t always act dumb. Try to take them on in their own game and show that you are just as strong, if not stronger than them. Embarrass them if you must. Show them that you are put off by the fact that they were not decent. And they will leave thinking that actually you are something completely different to what they first expected. They will be shocked and ashamed of themselves !! Iwoman power !! I’ve done it a thousand times. xx

Post Thanks / Like

This is all pretty funny. But I will tell you ladies, you travel in the ME all you want. If one of those swarthy self imagined world's greatest lover types bothers you, you just tell him:
    1. You are friends with Rico Dancer (or Recnadocir, either one will work)
    2. If he doesn't shut up, you will
    3. Tell Ricodancer/Recnadocir, who will
    4. Come over there and beat him up, then make love to his sisters, then beat him up again

Post Thanks / Like

You are a trip and a half Rico! I like the way you handled yourself Demelza, sounds like you are a an intelligent and savvy woman.Not many dancers tell the other side of Middle Eastern travels (see Maria's post "Bellydancing from Hell"). We love the dance so much, that we fail to understand not everyone will feel the way we do, esp. in Arabic countries, where they expect us to loose, immoral women.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
    Therefore, what I would say to any girl travelling alone is this…..as long as you are in a safe situation (eg there are other people around, you are in a well lit area etc – in my situation I waited for the taxi to stop and my door to be open before I laid into him!) be strong. Don’t always act dumb. Try to take them on in their own game and show that you are just as strong, if not stronger than them. Embarrass them if you must. Show them that you are put off by the fact that they were not decent. And they will leave thinking that actually you are something completely different to what they first expected. They will be shocked and ashamed of themselves !! Iwoman power !! I’ve done it a thousand times. xx
    This is such a cool story! I agree, being safe is #1, but "calling" people on their rude statements would be very satisfying, and hopefully change their behavior for a while.

And I am very impressed with everyone that that speaks Arabic.
    I think it's very hard to speak and understand a foreign language, especially one with different roots than your own.:o

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou x I really wish I could read and write it to but can't do either!! I can speak fluently from living there. and I just luuvvv arabic. It is an agressive language but somehow very sexy at the same time. I don't speak classical arabic just the normal street language that people speak on a day to day basis. What happened was I went to Isreal on a kibutz when I was 17, and got kicked off (another story another time!) and hitchhiked from the north of Isreal to the south (another story another time!) and landed in Egypt. I was only suposed to stay there for 3 days but stayed 8 years !! Crazy I know. But I learnt so much. I think that Egypt as a country is the biggest and best school to attend if you ever get the chance. plus its FULL of what we all here love most !! XXXXX D

Post Thanks / Like

Default from the linked story

Hi Demelza,nice story you sound like you have lots of fun when you are traveling...I do speak arabic fluently ,but if i speak arabic outside i get less respect because arabic lady,s are not supposed to be out alone special in the evening.so if i speak english its usely ok that i am on my own and people look at it differant,...even when the police for example will stop me at night driving the car( what is very common in our days for all kind of reasons) and i role down my window and they ask for my drivinglicence in arabic ,it do,s not sound vriendly believe me,but i answer in english excuus me i dont speak arabic ,strait away his tone of voice changes and he become,s very polite asking for my papers and tanking me and wishing me a nice evening! so that is the differance so for me it works wonders that i dont speak arabic when i go out ......beside that it,s great fun when people think you dont understand what they are saying,you can have plenty of fun with that,....when i get upset i will give them a piece of my mind in arabic,than you must see the faces!! have a great weekend Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Lydia,
    I know what you mean. Where are you - Dubai ? I think that Egypt is maybe a bit different from Dubai. Obviously when you show the police that you are European eg English, they give you a whole lot more respect, but in Egypt they love it even more if you are Not Egyptian but speak Arabic !! i have got out of plenty of scrapes by making the police smile !! Where are you from Lydia?
    Demelza xx

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast