Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

does any one have any stories from travel ? I love to listen to them too xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Default from the linked story

Hi Demelza,yes i know Egypt is differant i have a home there to!lol....and Dubai is not the same that is for sure,but i love both places the same ...I dont work in Egypt i did when i just started,but unlike other dancers i did not like to work there so i moved to Dubai at the same time when Dina came to Dubai and liza lazizza and yasmina from cairo.... (the british yasmina),so we hade a nice team here,But all 3 went back to Cairo ,but i stayd here and i still am ....and liza ,dina and yasmina are very happy and doing well there,and of course dina became a big star ......I was born in Europe i am from a rom family they are stil traveling......I have been in the middle east sindts my teens what about you?? dont tell me we are famili???? lol ...have a great day and happy dancing Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

aahh, so you are romany gypsy ? Please tell me more !... I love those people..... I am english through and through. I grew up on a big farm in the Vale of Belvoir in Nottinghamshire. We had a 3 mile track that went through some of the land and it was known as the 'green lane' cos it was just like pastures. And lots of Romany Gypsies used to come on there with their Romany caravans and their shetland horses !

Post Thanks / Like

......when I was really little, me and my brother and sisters used to skip down there on a hot summers day, we used to stop and drink lemonade with the romanies and look up in awe at their beautifully decorated homes.....and they were sooooo good with us...

Post Thanks / Like

Default from the linked story

Demelza now i am jalouse!! a farm i love ofcourse the outdoors ,and annimals are surely my first love after dancing....yes Romany people i think are kind if you have them as a friend!! lol...but thank you for saying that,mostly people misunderstand the roms.....what is a pitty...story,s ooooooooooooo i have plenty!!! perhaps one day i find a ghostwriter for my book that is laying half finished on the shelf for some time now.....but i will let you if its done haha....take care Lydia

Post Thanks / Like

i know some people give the romanies a hard time round here too. All the other farmers used to say they were theives etc. But my dad (who died 4 years ago) used to be such a kind and friendly man to EVERYONE and he got the respect back that he gave out. . I like the fact that they travel. When I was young I use to dream of running away with the fun fair just so that I could travel! . I love bedouins for the same reason. Maybe I was a traveller in my past life ?? ha ha...
    A half written book heh ? sounds great. I would love to write a book about my life but wouldn't know where to start. I would have to get someone else to do it for me. It'd be soo long too ! with great chapter headings like 'the day I was held at gun point' or 'time in the egyptian jail cell' or 'the day I climbed the pyramid' or 'living in a bomb shelter' or 'the day the bandits attacked us' or 'the day i fell in love with an arab' !! etc etc.
    how old are you Lydia if you don't mind me asking you ? xx

Post Thanks / Like

My mother used to tell me stories about how the rom (they called them gypsies in that place and time) used to camp in the woods between Hope and Columbus, Arkansas back in the thirties, complete with wagons, horses, and women in long full skirts. The ones that decided to settle ended up mostly in a little town called Faulks, Arkansas, and live there today.

Any of my travel stories would be pretty boring compared to what I read here. I've never been anywhere out of the USA except Canada and Mexico, never spent a night in an Egyptian jail, never was held at gun point. I did fall off a 20 foot wall in a cave one time...

I plan to take my daughter to Ireland in the spring of 2007, though. My son decided he'd rather go hunting in Alaska with his dad. Do you suppose the Republic has many belly dancing venues?
    Last edited by Shanazel; 08-09-2006 at 05:28 PM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

So I'd really love to travel to Egypt too, but honestly, some of these stories scare me. My question to travelers: Does it make a difference whether you are American or not?

Post Thanks / Like

My travel stories are also boring compared to those I read here, although I guess I rather have a more "boring" trip than ending up in an Egyptian jail

I've been in Egypt for only 1 day when I was 10 years old (short, yeah, but now I've a good reason to come back ). The most "scary" thing that happened was a strange Egyptian guy puting me on an angry camel (I was sooo scared of the animal! I had to cry) and he took a picture of me. Later on it appeared that the guy was taking pictures with tourist illegally. A policeman went after him with a whip and the guy had to climb on a rock to escape.
    The picture was very nice though, I somehow managed to smile

Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel - Ireland is gorgeous. Some of my family live in the south on the coast in County Cork. They live right near the sea and watch wales from their Kitchen window !! I'm sure you'll have a wonderfull time !

Rebecca - I wouldn't worry about people knowing you are american. I know there is a bad feeling amongst the arabs with regards to the american government and their policies etc but I've never known anyone to direct their anger at any individual. They do not take it personally and I think they all feel that it's the government and not the american people themselves. So don't let it concern you too much. And if you still feel a little insecure about it tell people on your travels that you are Canadian!! :eek:

Moon - I like your story about the camel !! i got on a wild one once xx

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast