Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all of you -- Demelza, Maria -- all! What great stories!!! SHould write a book! Demelza the dialog w/ taxi driver should be in Hollywood -- I will have to read this all more in detail - So fascinating.............!!!! Esp. Demelza that you speak Arabic -- Could I ask, how did you learn? A book? A class? Cheers, Ludy

Post Thanks / Like

hello Ludy !
    I learnt just from living there. I was useless at languages at school and never thought I'd speak anything except broad Nottingham slang ! However when I landed in egypt I stayed 8 years longer than planned and just picked it up from living there. Although most people in the cities speak english to a certain extent, out in the country side they dont. I found that I never used to ask for example..."how do I say I want to go to the cabaret" in arabic?? Rather I would hear something being said over and over again and I would ask for example..."what does 'ana isa raha cabaret' mean"??? thats how I learnt. I've never picked up a phrase book or course etc. I think it's the best way to learn. xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice! That's a good idea to say that I am Canadian. I just think that Egypt seems like such a beautiful place, I would absolutely love to go there! Especially to study dance =)

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
    Shanazel - Ireland is gorgeous. Some of my family live in the south on the coast in County Cork. They live right near the sea and watch wales from their Kitchen window !! I'm sure you'll have a wonderfull time !

Rebecca - I wouldn't worry about people knowing you are american. I know there is a bad feeling amongst the arabs with regards to the american government and their policies etc but I've never known anyone to direct their anger at any individual. They do not take it personally and I think they all feel that it's the government and not the american people themselves. So don't let it concern you too much. And if you still feel a little insecure about it tell people on your travels that you are Canadian!! :eek:

Moon - I like your story about the camel !! i got on a wild one once xx

Post Thanks / Like

then go for it !!XX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
    Shanazel - Ireland is gorgeous. Some of my family live in the south on the coast in County Cork. They live right near the sea and watch wales from their Kitchen window !! I'm sure you'll have a wonderfull time !
    Hmm, I didn't realize you could see Wales from the southern coast of Ireland (Sorry, couldn't resist!) Part of my family came from Cork, Donegal, and Armagh, part of them came from Wales and Scotland, and a few we speak of in whispers came from merrie olde Englande. Of course, they all landed in the new world and intermarried with the natives in the early 17th century, so I have no known familial ties to Europe.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

sorry. spelling never was my good point ! is it whailes ?? no... whales ? ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_ View Post
    So I'd really love to travel to Egypt too, but honestly, some of these stories scare me. ?
    Rebecca !!
    Please don't let my stories put you off ! I was just a 'wild child' and still am to a certain extent! Actually Egypt is a relitavely safe place. You know I am from Nottingham in UK which last month was statistically declared the most dangerous city in Europe :eek: so for me anyplace is safer than Nottingham ! but really, Egypt is a safe place compared to others. For example in the 13 years that I've been in / going to Egypt and Sinai, I've never heard of a rape, (actually only one - that was a bedouin man to a bedouin boy)....only heard of 1 murder (appart from the terrorist bombs of course) and probably the worst that happens to most is that they get their card/passport stolen. So bear in mind that my stories are not the norm !

And anyway, Cairo for example feels safe to me because it's a 24 hour city and there are always people around, shop keepers, bowebs, street cleaners, soldiers etc......so if you shout they'll all come to rescue you ! xx (the being held at gun point story and the bandit story where far out in the desert, not in Cairo!) xx

Post Thanks / Like

All these tourists going around claiming to be Canadian is giving real Canadians a bad name overseas.

Post Thanks / Like

In what way Selkie? tell me more....

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of "Yeah right, you're really an American, aren't you." Getting grilled on Canadian knowledge, having to prove nationality. When my dad visited France in the '90s, he had to show his passport and ID before the hotel would believe him. People getting mean, trying to make you "confess." Having to listen to stories about some obnoxious "Canadian" tourist, to learn that the tourist had a Southern drawl or a Midwest accent. Rather have the snow and igloo jokes

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast