First Lesson

avani

Hiya,

I had my first lesson tonight. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be :lol:

I'm dyspraxic, so I have a bit of trouble staying steady sometimes and doing more than one thing at once, so I found doing hip drops with arm movements etc hard.

I really enjoyed it, but I have a feeling I'm going to be in a beginner class for a long time :lol:

We did hip drops, which i got the hang of quite quickly, figure 8's which I can't get the hang of, and shimmy's which just refuse to happen :lol:

I also didn't realise it would make me ache so much.

That said though, it was really fun so I'm not ready to give up yet!

teela

We all have stories like that for our first lesson, actually for our first few lessons. We know intellectually what we should do but our bodies haven't learned to follow. I"m directionally challanged so I'm often going the wrong way or starting with the wrong foot because my brain says "this" is my right which might be my left. When I started, A friend and I were taking lessons together. thing is she always turned the wrong way with a closed fist and I got hit alot. We got her some right turn bells so she'd go the proper way.......LOL.
Remember, it takes a bit for your body to know what to do. Hang in there.

Reen.Blom

This is great! I am glad to hear you enjoy it so much!

Take your time, it will come, and juat have fun!!!

TinaL

I said the same thing after my first lesson: it's a LOT harder than I thought it would be! I've been taking lessons for a year now, and there are so many things I still have to actually THINK of doing before I can do them; conversely, alot of things are imbedded in muscle memory now, and they come automatically. It just takes time and practice. Hang in there -- it's wonderful!!!:D

adiemus

You managed to get hip drops in one lesson - hooray!! I'm still having to remember to lengthen my lower back and not look like a duck!
Stick with it, the muscles will get used to it,they're just protesting because they're not used to being worked so individually!

Kharmine

I remember being surprised because my arms hurt -- then I realized it was because they're held up a lot!

Good on you for beginning the journey, Avani! Hang in there!

Mariyam

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Don't worry about the movements you cannot do yet, it takes time and practice :) Baby steps, baby steps...

sstacy123

I've just celebrated my one year dancer anniversary! Yeah me! Not that I don't still have a TON of work to do I sometimes laugh to myself when I think about how bad I was not just my first class but my first 5 week session...hehe sometimes I have to laugh at myself now too but I have def improved.

fadua21

first time

Wonderful! Enjoy it and PRACTICE a lot!!! I remember when I started, a year and some months ago, I could not stop doing hip drops... and shimmying...anywhere!:D