What is a shimmy with hip twist called?

I was wondering what a layered hip twist/shimmy was called,, i believe i have seen this b4 although im not sure:lol:, i mean a shimmy with that twist , i guess swivel back and forth motion which can be done with one or both hips,, or is this movement just called layering a hip twist with a shimmy lol,, im lost

Amanda (was Aziyade)

It's called one of many of the infinite variations on shimmies. :)

The washing-machine shimmy is done basically this way:

Twist Right hip forward. Release Right hip to neutral.
Twist Left hip forward. Release Left hip to neutral.
Repeat continuously.

As you speed it up, you eliminate the return to neutral. The Right hip twists forward and then immediately the Left hip twists forward, alternating.

You could also do Twist Right, Twist Left, Twist Right (like a 1-2-3) and then reverse the movement. So it's 3/4 shimmy timing, just done with a horizontal hip twist. Sometimes called 3/4 Twisting Shimmy.

OR

You can do a regular shimmy, where the legs pump back and forth, and layer a horizontal hip twist forward on top of it. This is a cute traveling step that I learned from Habiba. You twist the hip forward and step on that foot, all the while maintaining a shimmy. You can twist both hips, or just one.

OR

You can do a 3/4 shimmy while the hip twists forward. Jamila Salimpour called this a Samiha -- but now most people call that step something else. It was a down 3/4 shimmy, with a twist forward on the right foot only. Right foot steps forward with a twist, left foot steps in with no twist, and there's a 3/4 down shimmy under that. I have also heard this referred to as a Hagallah step.

I'm sure there are more variations.