Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, baby!
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Her name is Tegan Ollie.

    Anybody know her?

    I think I know her, actually...I think she is one of my "friends" on tribe.

    (I don't know her personally, we were talking a lot over a thread, and she sent me a friend request...she seems nice enough...)

    I'll have to do some research when I get off work, because I can only access certain parts of tribe while I'm at work...

    It sure is interesting though...I wonder if she's posted anything on tribe about this, if its the same person....

  2. #12
    V.I.P. Aziyade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cornfields of Evansville Indiana.
    Posts
    2,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You know ordinarily I would leave something like this alone, to die a quiet death, but I've had my fill of self-proclaimed "experts" who can't show me any evidence of their expertise!

    I don't know hardly anything about Greek music and dance, so I defer to you, Chryssanthi and Maria to help me with it because you two have PROVEN your knowledge time and time again. I defer to A'isha on all matters Saudi cause she's PROVEN her knowledge. A'isha doesn't claim to be any expert on Tribal, so she defers to Sharon -- who again has PROVEN her knowledge of the subject.

    From everything this "Tegan" woman has posted, I seriously DOUBT her expertise in Egyptian dance, and now that she's resorted to name-calling and insulting well-respected teachers and dancers, I think this just proves my point!

    Her "bio" is laughable:

    "I've been an Egyptian dancer since 1977. I was privately trained for nearly 3 years in the classical form of Egyptian dance by Maria Archer, who was instructed from childhood on in Egypt. I am Persian from my Grandfather's side,"

    So Maria Archer got to go to "bellydance school" in Egypt as a little girl? Um, yeah, right. Cause there were so many!!

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, baby!
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    You know ordinarily I would leave something like this alone, to die a quiet death, but I've had my fill of self-proclaimed "experts" who can't show me any evidence of their expertise!

    I don't know hardly anything about Greek music and dance, so I defer to you, Chryssanthi and Maria to help me with it because you two have PROVEN your knowledge time and time again. I defer to A'isha on all matters Saudi cause she's PROVEN her knowledge. A'isha doesn't claim to be any expert on Tribal, so she defers to Sharon -- who again has PROVEN her knowledge of the subject.

    From everything this "Tegan" woman has posted, I seriously DOUBT her expertise in Egyptian dance, and now that she's resorted to name-calling and insulting well-respected teachers and dancers, I think this just proves my point!

    Her "bio" is laughable:

    "I've been an Egyptian dancer since 1977. I was privately trained for nearly 3 years in the classical form of Egyptian dance by Maria Archer, who was instructed from childhood on in Egypt. I am Persian from my Grandfather's side,"

    So Maria Archer got to go to "bellydance school" in Egypt as a little girl? Um, yeah, right. Cause there were so many!!
    I think this is the same woman from tribe...she told me a story once on tribe about her teacher kicking a girl out of her "semi-private" class because she did a movement that was "Greek, and NOT Egyptian." She also said that her teacher yelled at her to NEVER do that move again.

    Hmmm...interesting.

  4. #14
    V.I.P. Aziyade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cornfields of Evansville Indiana.
    Posts
    2,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    She's "Chenum" on Tribe.


    Hey, if she's legit, I'll definitely get her dvds, but I do think it's rude to insult other instructors, so that would make me think twice about her personally. I don't see the need to insult other professionals just to make your OWN self look good, you know?

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, baby!
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yup, thats her.

    I understand completely...I think she's out of line insulting other professionals...ESPECIALLY if she hasn't even seen them dance. No, you don't have to like every professional...there are lots out there who aren't my cup of tea, but you know, I don't go around slandering them.

  6. #16
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Professional etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by yasmindiab View Post
    Yup, thats her.

    I understand completely...I think she's out of line insulting other professionals...ESPECIALLY if she hasn't even seen them dance. No, you don't have to like every professional...there are lots out there who aren't my cup of tea, but you know, I don't go around slandering them.
    Dear Group,
    I have no issue with saying disparaging words about teachers or dancers who claim to be something they are not, even when they are well known and respected. For example, I make no bones about how I feel about what the BDSS is doing. But, I think the difference is that I have studied for more than 3 years, and I also have plenty of good things to say about dancers that are doing justice to dance. I also have no issues with telling about my own experiences with teachers, for good or bad. However, as a person who has been attending classes for 33 years and teaching for 30, I feel that I have some qualifications for judging what is good and bad. I did not merely take classes 30 years ago for 3 years and consider myself an expert.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  7. #17
    Senior Member sedoniaraqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    cultural wasteland of the midwestern US
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    She has issued her rebuttal, and she's dismissing Shareen el Safy as a REAL Egyptian style instructor because she once took class with Jamila Salimpour.
    Clueless.

  8. #18
    V.I.P. Aziyade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cornfields of Evansville Indiana.
    Posts
    2,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    For example, I make no bones about how I feel about what the BDSS is doing.
    Yes, but as I recall, you've actually SEEN the BDSS show, or at least the dvd.

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    However, as a person who has been attending classes for 33 years and teaching for 30, I feel that I have some qualifications for judging what is good and bad. I did not merely take classes 30 years ago for 3 years and consider myself an expert.
    Yeah, AND you make public your ideas and back them up. Are there only 10 categories of movement in Egyptian dance? You said so, and made a video to illustrate it. I've not seen the video (and therefore can't comment on it) but I've read your article on the subject, compared it to what I've experienced and witnessed, and acknowledged -- at the VERY LEAST -- that I agree more with you than with someone who says there are 70 movements. I can see where you're coming from, even if I don't agree. (Not saying I don't agree -- just saying that I can at very least see where you're coming from.)

    I have NO idea where this person is coming from. She's talking about how the "flutter" is incorrectly taught as a rib lift.

    ????

    Who is teaching a "flutter" as a rib lift? More importantly, who is teaching a flutter OR a Turkish drop/extensive floor work as part of Egyptian dance???

    Nobody I've ever seen...

  9. #19
    Senior Member Ranya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've read her post...and this is really outrageous. I've been learning oriental dance for 4years now - never would I have thought I have enough knowledge to teach more than beginner class! and just as Moon pointed out - when learning for 3years and teaching for 5...where has she been? if performing, than where? does she have a website? videos? pics? anything...
    Aziyade I think you just wrote the right think in your responses to her, but unfortunately, she will always be able to fool at least some people. :S

  10. #20
    Moderator Farasha Hanem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the heartland of the USA
    Posts
    4,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Roll  Eyes

    *struggles inwardly with self* Must...not...be...a smartaleck...must...be...nice...

    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Wowww... three whole years of lessons, huh? Geez, I tried learning by myself for six whole years with DVD's, and have had 5 lessons; maybe I ought to think about marketing my own bellydance instructional DVD's...oh, that was just plain rude, bad Farasha! Bad! *hits forehead repeatedly on edge of comp desk for giving into her darker side*

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •