Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Her name is Tegan Ollie.

Anybody know her?

I think I know her, actually...I think she is one of my "friends" on tribe.

(I don't know her personally, we were talking a lot over a thread, and she sent me a friend request...she seems nice enough...)

I'll have to do some research when I get off work, because I can only access certain parts of tribe while I'm at work...

It sure is interesting though...I wonder if she's posted anything on tribe about this, if its the same person....

Post Thanks / Like

You know ordinarily I would leave something like this alone, to die a quiet death, but I've had my fill of self-proclaimed "experts" who can't show me any evidence of their expertise!

I don't know hardly anything about Greek music and dance, so I defer to you, Chryssanthi and Maria to help me with it because you two have PROVEN your knowledge time and time again. I defer to A'isha on all matters Saudi cause she's PROVEN her knowledge. A'isha doesn't claim to be any expert on Tribal, so she defers to Sharon -- who again has PROVEN her knowledge of the subject.

From everything this "Tegan" woman has posted, I seriously DOUBT her expertise in Egyptian dance, and now that she's resorted to name-calling and insulting well-respected teachers and dancers, I think this just proves my point!

Her "bio" is laughable:

"I've been an Egyptian dancer since 1977. I was privately trained for nearly 3 years in the classical form of Egyptian dance by Maria Archer, who was instructed from childhood on in Egypt. I am Persian from my Grandfather's side,"

So Maria Archer got to go to "bellydance school" in Egypt as a little girl? Um, yeah, right. Cause there were so many!!

Post Thanks / Like

You know ordinarily I would leave something like this alone, to die a quiet death, but I've had my fill of self-proclaimed "experts" who can't show me any evidence of their expertise!

I don't know hardly anything about Greek music and dance, so I defer to you, Chryssanthi and Maria to help me with it because you two have PROVEN your knowledge time and time again. I defer to A'isha on all matters Saudi cause she's PROVEN her knowledge. A'isha doesn't claim to be any expert on Tribal, so she defers to Sharon -- who again has PROVEN her knowledge of the subject.

From everything this "Tegan" woman has posted, I seriously DOUBT her expertise in Egyptian dance, and now that she's resorted to name-calling and insulting well-respected teachers and dancers, I think this just proves my point!

Her "bio" is laughable:

"I've been an Egyptian dancer since 1977. I was privately trained for nearly 3 years in the classical form of Egyptian dance by Maria Archer, who was instructed from childhood on in Egypt. I am Persian from my Grandfather's side,"

So Maria Archer got to go to "bellydance school" in Egypt as a little girl? Um, yeah, right. Cause there were so many!!
    I think this is the same woman from tribe...she told me a story once on tribe about her teacher kicking a girl out of her "semi-private" class because she did a movement that was "Greek, and NOT Egyptian." She also said that her teacher yelled at her to NEVER do that move again.

Hmmm...interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

She's "Chenum" on Tribe.

Hey, if she's legit, I'll definitely get her dvds, but I do think it's rude to insult other instructors, so that would make me think twice about her personally. I don't see the need to insult other professionals just to make your OWN self look good, you know?

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, thats her.

I understand completely...I think she's out of line insulting other professionals...ESPECIALLY if she hasn't even seen them dance. No, you don't have to like every professional...there are lots out there who aren't my cup of tea, but you know, I don't go around slandering them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Professional etc.

Quote Originally Posted by yasmindiab View Post
    Yup, thats her.

I understand completely...I think she's out of line insulting other professionals...ESPECIALLY if she hasn't even seen them dance. No, you don't have to like every professional...there are lots out there who aren't my cup of tea, but you know, I don't go around slandering them.
    Dear Group,
    I have no issue with saying disparaging words about teachers or dancers who claim to be something they are not, even when they are well known and respected. For example, I make no bones about how I feel about what the BDSS is doing. But, I think the difference is that I have studied for more than 3 years, and I also have plenty of good things to say about dancers that are doing justice to dance. I also have no issues with telling about my own experiences with teachers, for good or bad. However, as a person who has been attending classes for 33 years and teaching for 30, I feel that I have some qualifications for judging what is good and bad. I did not merely take classes 30 years ago for 3 years and consider myself an expert.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

She has issued her rebuttal, and she's dismissing Shareen el Safy as a REAL Egyptian style instructor because she once took class with Jamila Salimpour.
    Clueless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    For example, I make no bones about how I feel about what the BDSS is doing.
    Yes, but as I recall, you've actually SEEN the BDSS show, or at least the dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    However, as a person who has been attending classes for 33 years and teaching for 30, I feel that I have some qualifications for judging what is good and bad. I did not merely take classes 30 years ago for 3 years and consider myself an expert.
    Yeah, AND you make public your ideas and back them up. Are there only 10 categories of movement in Egyptian dance? You said so, and made a video to illustrate it. I've not seen the video (and therefore can't comment on it) but I've read your article on the subject, compared it to what I've experienced and witnessed, and acknowledged -- at the VERY LEAST -- that I agree more with you than with someone who says there are 70 movements. I can see where you're coming from, even if I don't agree. (Not saying I don't agree -- just saying that I can at very least see where you're coming from.)

I have NO idea where this person is coming from. She's talking about how the "flutter" is incorrectly taught as a rib lift.

????

Who is teaching a "flutter" as a rib lift? More importantly, who is teaching a flutter OR a Turkish drop/extensive floor work as part of Egyptian dance???

Nobody I've ever seen...

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read her post...and this is really outrageous. I've been learning oriental dance for 4years now - never would I have thought I have enough knowledge to teach more than beginner class! and just as Moon pointed out - when learning for 3years and teaching for 5...where has she been? if performing, than where? does she have a website? videos? pics? anything...
    Aziyade I think you just wrote the right think in your responses to her, but unfortunately, she will always be able to fool at least some people. :S

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes

*struggles inwardly with self* Must...not...be...a smartaleck...must...be...nice...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wowww... three whole years of lessons, huh? Geez, I tried learning by myself for six whole years with DVD's, and have had 5 lessons; maybe I ought to think about marketing my own bellydance instructional DVD's...oh, that was just plain rude, bad Farasha! Bad! *hits forehead repeatedly on edge of comp desk for giving into her darker side*

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast