Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting Morocco's article on floorwork. In 1977, I saw Nagwa to floorwork at her nightclub show. It wasn't for more than a couple of minutes, but she did do it. Recently I've only seen dancers in Egypt on the floor when they do Shamadan.

Post Thanks / Like

Leyla, what kind of floor work would you say she did? When I think of floorwork, I think of American Cabaret style, with the "Berber Walk" and backbends with undulations and pelvic rotations, kind of things. Was it like that?? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Leyla, what kind of floor work would you say she did? When I think of floorwork, I think of American Cabaret style, with the "Berber Walk" and backbends with undulations and pelvic rotations, kind of things. Was it like that?? Thanks!
    It was *nothing* like American Cabaret style floorwork. She descended to the floor gently, kneeling then onto both knees. She did a few moves on one knee and then on both her knees, mostly using those lovely long arms and upper torso. It also included a partial back bend. Then she was back up on her feet and that was it for the floor work. It was a long time ago (1977), but I think she only did that one short bit of floor work in her entire show. And you're welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeylaLanty View Post
    It was *nothing* like American Cabaret style floorwork. She descended to the floor gently, kneeling then onto both knees. She did a few moves on one knee and then on both her knees, mostly using those lovely long arms and upper torso. It also included a partial back bend. Then she was back up on her feet and that was it for the floor work. It was a long time ago (1977), but I think she only did that one short bit of floor work in her entire show. And you're welcome!
    Yep!If Egyptian dancers do floor work, this is all they do. No deep back bends and pelvic undulations, no open legs etc. Totally different from American and Turkish style. But they do it seldom anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

So suddenly all my questions, which she refused to answer, have become "baiting" her. This is a message she posted on her group.

If baiting her is asking her to explain herself, then I'm guilty. Frankly I've grown weary of people who claim to know it all and then are proven frauds.
    And where here did I "admit" to "baiting her" ? I simply asked her to EXPLAIN what she was talking about -- and why on earth she thought she could judge the quality of Shareen el Safy's instruction based on Googling her. Shareen is a respected expert globally. I think this chick is just a nutcase.

Her message begins:
    Greetings Beautiful Dancers!

I hope everyone had a fun Halloween, and got more treats than
    tricks.

Some of you have been asking me to do an instructional set of videos
    for a couple years now. As you may or may not know, Michelle and I
    are in the process of doing just that. We're supposed to begin
    shooting next week. *waves to Michelle*

Just so you all know, I stepped into a real mess online the past few
    weeks. I was inquiring to see how many people would be interested
    in a series like this besides us, and apparently worded it all
    wrong. You'll see what I mean if you google me. It's not pretty.
    I know I'm not the only one who's had problems with other dancers
    outside our little circle before, but this one's taking the cake and
    the candles. I asked if anyone had done classic Egyptian
    instruction before (with no other dance influences), and
    wow...things just got ugly from there. Anyways, I think you should
    all know about this so you're not surprised in the future.

The poster who started the conversations in the other 2 groups I
    wasn't involved in (Oriental Dancer and Bhuz) was the same person
    who also baited me in the original forum I was asking questions in.
    She admits she did this in Oriental Dancer. I guess it takes one
    person to trash you, and how many years for redemption? lol I
    guess I spit in her Wheaties...have no idea? Oh well...

Anyways, the videos are going to cover everything we do in class.
    Stance, knees (yes, I'm gonna bug you about that some more lol),
    and the moves you know. The more advanced dvds will be moves you
    may not know yet, except for a couple dancers who've gone this far
    with me. Also, floorwork that a few of you are on right now.
    Michelle and I are also including gag reels, because you know we'll
    have tons of footage of that. lol So, Girls, I guess my questions
    to you, the people I know and love, are this...what would you like
    to see on the dvds? Please be gentle to me, I've had a rough week.
    hehe

Lots of Love,

tegan

Post Thanks / Like

Aziyade, did you join her group?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Aziyade,
    While there are plenty of people with a world renowned reputation that do not know there backsides from a hole in the ground when it comes to teaching or defining what in heck it is that they are doing, Shareen El Safy is one of the truly good ones who does know what she is doing. ( As far as I am concerned, for Egyptian belly dance, she is the BEST westerner with whom to study!!)
    This dancer, from what you have introduced us to here, is looking for accolades that she does not deserve. Three years of classes in the 1970s does not prepare a person to perform or teach the dance with any qualifications for being labeled an expert enough to make a DVD. Tell her I said so and that she can actually use my name when referring to how I am dissing her.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    (Who had been studying and dancing for 30 years before she made a DVD)

Post Thanks / Like

I did not join the group cause you have to have approval to join, and I seriously doubt she would approve me!

A'isha, I think any words to her that aren't "oh you're so fabulous" would go in one ear and out the other. If and when her dvds materialize, I'm sure someone will get one and review it, and if the material stands up to scrutiny, I'll even buy one! But I have a funny feeling it won't, and she'll probably disappear into the woodwork -- or she'll decide to only make it available to her students.

I just don't understand why she got so hysterical about the whole thing. If you truly believe in what you're saying, shouldn't you be able to explain it without getting defensive?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Aziyade,
    Sometimes we get defensive just because we receive so darn much flack even when we really DO know what we are talking about. It is difficult to convince people of our worth alot of times. It gets especially frustrating when we see really well known people out there, when they have no real concern for the dance or care about the truth of what they are teaching. I could give some pretty pointed examples of this if I cared to. I would not be surprised to see this girl create quite the little following, because it is only in our dreams that people like her end up going quietly into the sunset, never to be seen again. There are hundreds out there just like her, teaching drek and having a huge following and widely known name. This hurts and can cause some really good dancers and teachers to get defensive at times, because it seems so often that people are into creating their own fantasies in the name of "belly dance", and being able to sell their product to the public with no conscience whatsoever or responsibility to the dance. Meanwhile, people who really, really know their stuff are not working because they are just not into playing the game. I have seen Shareen get really defensive about this and there are times when I have, too. We know our stuff, but sometimes that is not enough to satisfy the dance community.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Aziyade,
    Sometimes we get defensive just because we receive so darn much flack even when we really DO know what we are talking about. It is difficult to convince people of our worth alot of times. It gets especially frustrating when we see really well known people out there, when they have no real concern for the dance or care about the truth of what they are teaching. I could give some pretty pointed examples of this if I cared to. I would not be surprised to see this girl create quite the little following, because it is only in our dreams that people like her end up going quietly into the sunset, never to be seen again. There are hundreds out there just like her, teaching drek and having a huge following and widely known name. This hurts and can cause some really good dancers and teachers to get defensive at times, because it seems so often that people are into creating their own fantasies in the name of "belly dance", and being able to sell their product to the public with no conscience whatsoever or responsibility to the dance. Meanwhile, people who really, really know their stuff are not working because they are just not into playing the game. I have seen Shareen get really defensive about this and there are times when I have, too. We know our stuff, but sometimes that is not enough to satisfy the dance community.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    What Aisha said!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast