Hmmm... Does this sound right to you?

LeylaLanty

thanks for posting Morocco's article on floorwork. In 1977, I saw Nagwa to floorwork at her nightclub show. It wasn't for more than a couple of minutes, but she did do it. Recently I've only seen dancers in Egypt on the floor when they do Shamadan.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Leyla, what kind of floor work would you say she did? When I think of floorwork, I think of American Cabaret style, with the "Berber Walk" and backbends with undulations and pelvic rotations, kind of things. Was it like that?? Thanks!

LeylaLanty

Leyla, what kind of floor work would you say she did? When I think of floorwork, I think of American Cabaret style, with the "Berber Walk" and backbends with undulations and pelvic rotations, kind of things. Was it like that?? Thanks!

It was *nothing* like American Cabaret style floorwork. She descended to the floor gently, kneeling then onto both knees. She did a few moves on one knee and then on both her knees, mostly using those lovely long arms and upper torso. It also included a partial back bend. Then she was back up on her feet and that was it for the floor work. It was a long time ago (1977), but I think she only did that one short bit of floor work in her entire show. And you're welcome!

chryssanthi sahar

It was *nothing* like American Cabaret style floorwork. She descended to the floor gently, kneeling then onto both knees. She did a few moves on one knee and then on both her knees, mostly using those lovely long arms and upper torso. It also included a partial back bend. Then she was back up on her feet and that was it for the floor work. It was a long time ago (1977), but I think she only did that one short bit of floor work in her entire show. And you're welcome!

Yep!If Egyptian dancers do floor work, this is all they do. No deep back bends and pelvic undulations, no open legs etc. Totally different from American and Turkish style. But they do it seldom anyway.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

So suddenly all my questions, which she refused to answer, have become "baiting" her. This is a message she posted on her group.

If baiting her is asking her to explain herself, then I'm guilty. Frankly I've grown weary of people who claim to know it all and then are proven frauds.
And where here did I "admit" to "baiting her" ? I simply asked her to EXPLAIN what she was talking about -- and why on earth she thought she could judge the quality of Shareen el Safy's instruction based on Googling her. Shareen is a respected expert globally. I think this chick is just a nutcase.

Her message begins:
Greetings Beautiful Dancers!

I hope everyone had a fun Halloween, and got more treats than
tricks. :)

Some of you have been asking me to do an instructional set of videos
for a couple years now. As you may or may not know, Michelle and I
are in the process of doing just that. We're supposed to begin
shooting next week. *waves to Michelle*

Just so you all know, I stepped into a real mess online the past few
weeks. I was inquiring to see how many people would be interested
in a series like this besides us, and apparently worded it all
wrong. You'll see what I mean if you google me. It's not pretty.
I know I'm not the only one who's had problems with other dancers
outside our little circle before, but this one's taking the cake and
the candles. I asked if anyone had done classic Egyptian
instruction before (with no other dance influences), and
wow...things just got ugly from there. Anyways, I think you should
all know about this so you're not surprised in the future.

The poster who started the conversations in the other 2 groups I
wasn't involved in (Oriental Dancer and Bhuz) was the same person
who also baited me in the original forum I was asking questions in.
She admits she did this in Oriental Dancer. I guess it takes one
person to trash you, and how many years for redemption? lol I
guess I spit in her Wheaties...have no idea? Oh well...

Anyways, the videos are going to cover everything we do in class.
Stance, knees (yes, I'm gonna bug you about that some more lol),
and the moves you know. The more advanced dvds will be moves you
may not know yet, except for a couple dancers who've gone this far
with me. Also, floorwork that a few of you are on right now.
Michelle and I are also including gag reels, because you know we'll
have tons of footage of that. lol So, Girls, I guess my questions
to you, the people I know and love, are this...what would you like
to see on the dvds? Please be gentle to me, I've had a rough week.
hehe

Lots of Love,

tegan

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Aziyade,
While there are plenty of people with a world renowned reputation that do not know there backsides from a hole in the ground when it comes to teaching or defining what in heck it is that they are doing, Shareen El Safy is one of the truly good ones who does know what she is doing. ( As far as I am concerned, for Egyptian belly dance, she is the BEST westerner with whom to study!!)
This dancer, from what you have introduced us to here, is looking for accolades that she does not deserve. Three years of classes in the 1970s does not prepare a person to perform or teach the dance with any qualifications for being labeled an expert enough to make a DVD. Tell her I said so and that she can actually use my name when referring to how I am dissing her.
Regards,
A'isha
(Who had been studying and dancing for 30 years before she made a DVD)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

:) I did not join the group cause you have to have approval to join, and I seriously doubt she would approve me!

A'isha, I think any words to her that aren't "oh you're so fabulous" would go in one ear and out the other. If and when her dvds materialize, I'm sure someone will get one and review it, and if the material stands up to scrutiny, I'll even buy one! But I have a funny feeling it won't, and she'll probably disappear into the woodwork -- or she'll decide to only make it available to her students.

I just don't understand why she got so hysterical about the whole thing. If you truly believe in what you're saying, shouldn't you be able to explain it without getting defensive? :think:

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Aziyade,
Sometimes we get defensive just because we receive so darn much flack even when we really DO know what we are talking about. It is difficult to convince people of our worth alot of times. It gets especially frustrating when we see really well known people out there, when they have no real concern for the dance or care about the truth of what they are teaching. I could give some pretty pointed examples of this if I cared to. I would not be surprised to see this girl create quite the little following, because it is only in our dreams that people like her end up going quietly into the sunset, never to be seen again. There are hundreds out there just like her, teaching drek and having a huge following and widely known name. This hurts and can cause some really good dancers and teachers to get defensive at times, because it seems so often that people are into creating their own fantasies in the name of "belly dance", and being able to sell their product to the public with no conscience whatsoever or responsibility to the dance. Meanwhile, people who really, really know their stuff are not working because they are just not into playing the game. I have seen Shareen get really defensive about this and there are times when I have, too. We know our stuff, but sometimes that is not enough to satisfy the dance community.
Regards,
A'isha

LeylaLanty

Dear Aziyade,
Sometimes we get defensive just because we receive so darn much flack even when we really DO know what we are talking about. It is difficult to convince people of our worth alot of times. It gets especially frustrating when we see really well known people out there, when they have no real concern for the dance or care about the truth of what they are teaching. I could give some pretty pointed examples of this if I cared to. I would not be surprised to see this girl create quite the little following, because it is only in our dreams that people like her end up going quietly into the sunset, never to be seen again. There are hundreds out there just like her, teaching drek and having a huge following and widely known name. This hurts and can cause some really good dancers and teachers to get defensive at times, because it seems so often that people are into creating their own fantasies in the name of "belly dance", and being able to sell their product to the public with no conscience whatsoever or responsibility to the dance. Meanwhile, people who really, really know their stuff are not working because they are just not into playing the game. I have seen Shareen get really defensive about this and there are times when I have, too. We know our stuff, but sometimes that is not enough to satisfy the dance community.
Regards,
A'isha

What Aisha said!

LeylaLanty

oops, she has her own group now...

Acckkkkk, ya turn yer back on a forum and things go off in another direction... :shok: I just looked at bellydancevideos group and found that Tegan has gone off to her own private group. That was probably the group to which Aziyade referred, not Shira's bellydancevideos group. My apologies, Aziyade. :redface:

what I originally wrote follows:
The Yahoo group in which Tegan announced her intentions to make DVDs is NOT moderated by her!!! The moderator is Shira, who I'm sure will approve your joining it. I joined in order to see what was really being said and by whom.

The purpose of the group is to discuss belly dance videos - ANY belly dance videos. Tegan joined the group to post about her intentions to make some DVDs and ask for input. Her comments about several well-known and well-respected teachers understandably launched a torrent of replies and counter-replies which spilled out into this forum and Bhuz too.

:) I did not join the group cause you have to have approval to join, and I seriously doubt she would approve me!

A'isha, I think any words to her that aren't "oh you're so fabulous" would go in one ear and out the other. If and when her dvds materialize, I'm sure someone will get one and review it, and if the material stands up to scrutiny, I'll even buy one! But I have a funny feeling it won't, and she'll probably disappear into the woodwork -- or she'll decide to only make it available to her students.

I just don't understand why she got so hysterical about the whole thing. If you truly believe in what you're saying, shouldn't you be able to explain it without getting defensive? :think:

Last edited:

Ranya

Just a Question (for older members of this forum...not age, lol, but the time they have been here, hehe :p): isn't her partner "Michelle" she is referring to the Michelle who was claiming earlier this year on this forum, that she can do personal video coaching through the internet or something??? Anyone remember that thread...If it is her, than we have to "experts" teamed up...oh dear, oh dear.

Aniseteph

Ranya that sounded like a challenge to me.... and I qualify on both types of older! :D

The Michelle who posted the dance mentor thread (Michelle D) has deleted all her posts recently. But I don't remember her posts being particularly badly written whereas the other Michelle's posts on tribe :confused:, well, not the most perfect English (I hope it's not her 1st language...). They don't come across as the same person.

He he he, the idea of two "experts" getting together, reaching critical mass like a couple of bits of uranuim or something and sparking off some hideous bellydance chain reaction... OMG, what am I saying, of course it happens all the time. :rolleyes: Where did I put my lead-lined costume?

PS. Just found that group with what Aziyade quoted: chenum_jewels : Messages : 98-127 of 127

Last edited:

Ranya

LOL aniseteph...as I am not tribe I could not compare the two Michelles, so t'was just an idea...
And yeah well you are right, those explosive combinations (in a negative sense) happen too often...unfortunately.

Kharmine

Instructional CDs would be great I want my girlfriend to learn and she is keen to but no schools around here so cds would be perfect,where do you get them?

A good general source is Amazon.com -- because it has almost everything, anyway.

And I recently found an excellent basic/intermediate CD by Dahlena, one of the earliest pioneers in American belly dancers. Excellent quality: Home

And why don't you consider learning for yourself? Check out the guys' forum.

lizaj

A good general source is Amazon.com -- because it has almost everything, anyway.

And I recently found an excellent basic/intermediate CD by Dahlena, one of the earliest pioneers in American belly dancers. Excellent quality: Home

And why don't you consider learning for yourself? Check out the guys' forum.

I suspect that may not have been a sincere request;)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

And I recently found an excellent basic/intermediate CD by Dahlena, one of the earliest pioneers in American belly dancers.

Kharmine, do you happen to know if that instructional dvd has the same content as an instructional videotape she produced in the 90s? The filming and clothing would look very 90s. I think it's the same, and I have that videotape, but I haven't found anyone with the DVD version yet to compare it to. Thanks!

Kharmine

Kharmine, do you happen to know if that instructional dvd has the same content as an instructional videotape she produced in the 90s? The filming and clothing would look very 90s. I think it's the same, and I have that videotape, but I haven't found anyone with the DVD version yet to compare it to. Thanks!

No idea, kiddo. Maybe you can find out via her web site. She responds pretty promptly to emails.