Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Zills

  1. #1
    Senior Member miss_shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    united kingdom
    Posts
    902
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Zills

    tonight I had my first dance with finger cymbals,I am not so hot at it yet,but hey I realy enjoyed myself,getting the co-ordination was fun!!!he he he.


    how are you with the finger cymbals?


    smiles


    miss shimmy
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My zills were my nemesis for quite a while when I first started to learn to play them. After I got the hang of it I love them and I rarely go anywhere without them. It took me a lot of practice though.

  3. #3
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Zillz

    Dear Miss Shimmy,
    Keep practising!! Every dancer should know how to play finger cymbals (also called Sajat or Sagat in Arabic).
    Egypitan belly dancers usually do not play cymbals for belly dance. They are more of a folkloric prop for certain beledi styles, Ghawazi, and are one of the musical instruments usually found in a takht, which is the traditional Arag band.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I loved zills from the beginning and I've always had a pretty easy time with them. I think it was from playing guitar for so many years--fingers doing one thing while your mind is elsewhere.

  5. #5
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Zills

    Dear Norma,
    I agreee wtih what you said about the guitar being an asset in learning finger cymbals. I had a student once who was a concert violinist. She picked up cymbals faster than any student I have ever had!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

  6. #6
    Moderator Zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fl.
    Posts
    2,575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I played piano and French Horn long before I was a dancer. Zills were "no problem" for me to pick up and play...

    HOWEVER...

    Play them and DANCE at the same time! Sheesh! It took about SIX weeks of DAILY practice - over, and over, and over, and over again with my instructor's simple zill part to a simple choreography to get that down.

  7. #7
    Moderator Safran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Same for me, Zorba - years of musical schools and singing in choirs have actually done wonders to perceiving rythm patterns. Even though Estonian folk songs have nothing in common with Arabian rythms So, sitting down and playing zills is not a problem - I even have time to concentrate on what my left hand is doing. The moment I get up and dance though - the rythm is basically still there, but it is some serious and loud limping from the left hand.
    Will stick to A'isha's advice and keep practising...

  8. #8
    Moderator Zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fl.
    Posts
    2,575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maariku View Post
    Same for me, Zorba - years of musical schools and singing in choirs have actually done wonders to perceiving rythm patterns. Even though Estonian folk songs have nothing in common with Arabian rythms So, sitting down and playing zills is not a problem - I even have time to concentrate on what my left hand is doing. The moment I get up and dance though - the rythm is basically still there, but it is some serious and loud limping from the left hand.
    Will stick to A'isha's advice and keep practising...
    Use or make up a SIMPLE zill part to a SIMPLE choreography - and keep practicing that until you have that. Then progress from there.

    I still have problems in group choreos at times - I zill best when I just let my fingers take over and play. They'll always play something compatable with the rhythm de jour. But, if I have to play what everyone else is playing, it takes more concentration on my part. I'm "Okay" under such circumstances, but not great.

  9. #9
    Moderator Safran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Use or make up a SIMPLE zill part to a SIMPLE choreography - and keep practicing that until you have that. Then progress from there.
    Thanks for the tip! That should keep me busy for the upcoming few weeks... Yesterday, I heard a rumour that one of my teachers will start teaching a new choreo with zills this autumn... Can't wait!

  10. #10
    Junior Member Jessenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I played piano and French Horn long before I was a dancer. Zills were "no problem" for me to pick up and play...

    HOWEVER...

    Play them and DANCE at the same time!

    I have the same problem, I used to play the piano when I was younger and zills are pretty easy for me. But I still can't dance and play zills altogether. I need practising but It seems to be quite imposible , I cannot concentrate in both things at the same time. I'm like a robot dancing with zills XD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •