Post Thanks / Like

Default Video does not lie

There are some good things about video, and some not so good...

Good things - my hands and arms look good, my hip lifts and drops look good, my veil is OK.

Not so good things - my figure 8's in any direction look sooooo bad...
    I stick my butt out and need to suck up that tummy!
    My shimmy sucks, and what feels good to do doesn't always look so good at all.

Has anyone else had that same sort of revelation when they video?
    I have discovered that recording my practice is a Very Good Thing but Oh So Humbling

Post Thanks / Like

Video's are a great way of reviewing your own dancing. See it as a positive thing . Some things are hard to notice, exept by seeing it on video. I think it's a must for every dancer to watch themselves on video every now and then

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, actually, video DOES lie!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    There are some good things about video, and some not so good...

Good things - my hands and arms look good, my hip lifts and drops look good, my veil is OK.

Not so good things - my figure 8's in any direction look sooooo bad...
    I stick my butt out and need to suck up that tummy!
    My shimmy sucks, and what feels good to do doesn't always look so good at all.

Has anyone else had that same sort of revelation when they video?
    I have discovered that recording my practice is a Very Good Thing but Oh So Humbling
    Dear Adiemus,
    First, video automatically adds weight to the subject it is filming. It also sort of "flattens" a person so that they look different on video than they will in real life. Depending on the type of video used, people can look rather devoid of feeling, or quite one dimensional somehow. Video does not really record the whole story,or at least rarely. Sometimes you are lucky and get a pretty good rendering if you are being filmed by ,like, $20,000 equipment, according to both my make-up artist and the guy who filmed my DVD.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

watching vids is so discouraging.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you A'isha!!! but I still feel plump!

I found the experience of recording myself sooo helpful! You just never know what to work on when you can't see yourself from every angle - and that's why I did it. I don't know that I'll do it every time, but this time - definitely worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    Thank you A'isha!!! but I still feel plump!

I found the experience of recording myself sooo helpful! You just never know what to work on when you can't see yourself from every angle - and that's why I did it. I don't know that I'll do it every time, but this time - definitely worth it!

Dear Adiemus,
    I think that video is a great tool, too, for learning what you are doing in general, but remember that you actually do look different in person than in video, and may be doing better than you think!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Adiemus,
    I think that video is a great tool, too, for learning what you are doing in general, but remember that you actually do look different in person than in video, and may be doing better than you think!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    That's encouraging, that means if I can produce a video of myself where I think it looks great (and I'm a very harsh critic!) then it could possibly be truly awesome!

I love and hate my video camera, it's so informative - for better or worse !

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest revelation came a few years back, when I saw a video of me dancing at a little local event. The dancing itself I couldn't complain much about... But gawd, that posture... From there on I have kept trying to always remember to keep a good posture.