Post Thanks / Like

Default Music - Does anyone know this piece/Egyptian Orchestral???

Hi -- I took a workshop where a lovely Cane Dance was taught and when I asked what music it was, apparently it "is not to be found anywhere" -- As far as I can remember, the title of either the record, piece etc is "The Light", the instructor said. (the instructor had studied w/, if not learned the particular piece, from Aida Nour).

Now this piece (which was a very very gorgeous, dramatic piece of orchestral music), so incredible for a cane dance, I believe very likely seemed to be a 1940's or 1950's Egyptian Orchestral composition -- It had Saidi references to it. (in the choreography) INstrumentals are: Muted trumpets you know, that "naughty" sound?? (a bit reminiscient of old American big band sounds of the era), violins, just lots of strings and a wonderful melody with a great taksim about in the middle. I have searched EVERYWHERE to try and find anything that might have this music (If I just knew the composer it would help such a lot, but I don't). I even hummed it on the phone to the manager of one Arabic music website and they didn't have any idea what I was talking about, although she really did try to help.

If I could write music I could probably write down the melody and the places where different instruments come in -

But I thought I might take a chance and see if any of you might know of any specific songs or CD's that have any outstanding Egyptian orchestral music of that era (it was right before all the foreigners were sent out of Egypt during and after WWII, if I have my history straight at all, and it did seem to be an interesting era of an openness in Egyptian art and society. I've never heard a piece of music like it and I feel there must be some either 78LP recording, or something that must have this music... (It could even have been an old Oum Kahlsoum piece...???) but it definitely was all orchestral, the version I am talking about...

Anyway if any of you have any inkling or clue about this, what it is, or where it might be obtainable, I'd really appreciate hearing! THanks-- Ludy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ludy!

There’re a lot of old Arabic records that have really great music on them, but they’re hard to find, unless available on a CD. I’ll let you know if I happen to find it!

Madeline

P.S. Maybe www.radiobastet.com would have something like it?

Post Thanks / Like

hello there

try 'Immortal Egypt' cd ?

Demelza xx

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I can't help you; I feel your pain, as I have some pieces of music that I have been searching for a long time.

I can't help saying -- I'd be really pissed if I paid for and attended a workshop in which a choreography to an unavailable piece of music was taught.

Sedonia