in the beggining of this dance, is this a shimmy shes doing??

Aisha Azar

What is she doing

Dear Ravenharied belly dancer,
Do you mean once she has come off the stairs? She layering movement in the feetwith a basic shimmy in the Egyptian style, and eventually moves sideways while still angling her bgody straight forward. Egypitans do great things with angles of the body!! She is more than likely standing with her feet slightly one in front of the other, tipping her pubic bone slightly upward and maintaining some stillness in her upper body. A fundamental Egyptian shimmy moves into the body and upward. As Gia says, she does more of a bend in the left leg than the other, which causes a bit of an accent. This woman is a superb Egyptian style belly dancer. What she does applies to the dancers today as well as then, as we can see; there is actually very little change in movement from then until now. This is one of the reason why I do not believe that there is a "traditional" and "modern" belly dance, but that the same dance is still being done today. Music styles have changed but the basic structure of the dance stays the same.
Regards,
A'isha

thanx for explaining that to me :D , i love this video also,, its stuff like this that inspires me to learn this dance, its sooo beautiful, i love the way these dancers dance in these old films, i agree a'isha that the basic moves have not changed although i feel like the dancers then somehow stayed more true to traditional bellydance (maybe im wrong) whereas now i get less of a traditional feel when i watch dancers of today,, maybe its just the style of dress?

Last edited:

Demelza

what a fantastic peice of footage !! I've been playing it over and over again.

i love the bit half way through where the guy raises his eye-brow to his mate !! so cute

Last edited by a moderator:
youre welcome:D , i had a feeling some of you would love it,, theres just something about these old scenes from such movies, its naughty yet innocent and sexy but never vulgar, i appreciate that aspect of old movies even though im only 23, i really hate some of the stuff on tv today for the reason that its vulgar and i dont find that appealing