Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Goddess Cello music is heavenly- or do I mean unearthly?
    So when is your next workshop? I am in! And the youTube vids?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    The name is familiar, but I am so poor at recalling names, even of people I know. Does she have recordings out? (Please, no one tell me she is the violin equivalent of Yoyo Ma, or I will be really embarassed.)
    Dear Shanazel,
    She has a website where you can read about her. Just do Google as I can not remember it off the top of my head. She was very well known about 20 years ago, I think. She is very expressive when she plays and a lot of people were either very disconcerted or totally charmed by her face when she plays.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, A'isha.

Post Thanks / Like

If she's the violin goddess, can Joshua Bell be the violin god?

I saw him play live when he was young. Real young. Like hot sexy young. He's amazing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I seen videos in belly dance on you tube.

I seen videos in belly dance on you tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    If she's the violin goddess, can Joshua Bell be the violin god?

I saw him play live when he was young. Real young. Like hot sexy young. He's amazing.
    Well, okay, they can be whatever dieties they want to be as long as we remember I can out-goddess 'em both- who cares if they practice? Cello is in my blooooood.

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, this post goes out to you because I've SO been where you are!!

A long time ago somebody wrote a REALLY good book called "The Parents Guide to Ballet." Basically this book told you how to locate and evaluate a school and instructor if you wanted your kid to have a good ballet education and a shot at going professional.

In this country, any idiot with business cards can open a ballet school. It's often very hard to parents (who don't know anything ABOUT ballet) to figure out which are the reputable schools and which are the fly-by-night or poorly run schools. With ballet training, if it's done improperly, you can REALLY hurt your students, and even ruin them for training later on. Some things can't be "fixed" by a proper teacher.

We have the same problem in Middle Eastern dance. Anybody with a cute costume or a website can call themselves a bellydance teacher. And as a student, you aren't equipped with the knowledge to evaluate that instructor.

I wrote an article a long time ago called "Shopping for a bellydance instructor."

Shopping for a Belly Dance Instructor

Although I would edit it now, and add/remove some things, the basic rules still apply -- for me. I wrote this article so new students would have some idea of what to look for in a potential teacher.

Now, I don't want to scare you off -- since I know you just got a teacher! Give her a few months and see how she compares to what I wrote about, if you want.

BUT

There is a whole lot of "instruction" on YouTube that is just plain bad. There is a whole lot of "instruction" on the web, and on videos that is just plain BAD! (everyone remembers the Janine Rabbit video). It's hard to separate the bad from the good, at first. Which is why it's important to have a good, qualified instructor.

Now a LOT of people will recommend learning from performance videos. That's an important part of learning the dance, but you have to know which videos are the best to watch and which should be avoided at all costs.

When I was a beginner, I was enamoured of EVERYTHING! I thought it was all great. Many beginners are like this. Fortunately, I met someone who handed me a video of Sohair Zaki, and I started to understand the difference between Good bellydance and bad bellydance, and between the Egyptian and the American approach to the dance.

There is some good instruction on YouTube. I found a wonderful video on the basics of juggling, and I found a great instructional video on spinning the diablo. But just like the web itself, there is SO MUCH crap out there it's very hard to sift through. Your live instructor will be able to give you suggestions on what videos to watch, and which to avoid! Sedonia has a great YouTube playlist of different styles -- will you post that link here, Sedonia?

We joke around about learning from YouTube because a lot of us have had students who come to class and say "I learned from watching YouTube so can I be in your advanced class?" and the student is JUST AWFUL! It's a shame they chose the wrong videos to learn from! Or we have students who scour the internet for articles on bellydance and try to teach themselves choreographies and technique based on what they've scrounged from web sites. It's sad what people often think they know.

Old memory: After ballet class, I was sitting in the lounge one year as a teen, reading Lincoln Kirstein's book on classical ballet, and the AD of the ballet company walked by and asked me what I was reading. I showed him, and he hit me over the head with a magazine. "You can't learn ballet from a book," he said. "Go observe the company class." He was right in many ways -- I got MUCH more out of watching that class than I ever did out of a book!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for your eply.

I dont like you tube.I like expert village better.Our computer works on
    expertvillage I can hear the sound.on expertvillage,But cant hear the sound on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too informed about various sites available on line and am not familiar with expert village. Can you provide a link, Rita, or let me know what specifically to look for when I gets 1000 hits when I Google it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To.Shanazel

Ok.Ill get the link foy you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast