"I'm Learning from YouTube" ?????

Amanda (was Aziyade)

That's a good question Charity.

I think one of the issues with YouTube and "amateur" experts is that they often don't really know what they're doing, or more to the point -- they don't know what they don't know. But the same goes for videos. Janine Rabbit's video is still on the market and I see it on ebay quite a bit.

For what it's worth, I think there are 2 kinds of students:

1. The kind who want to learn for fun, to play around with it.
2. The kind who want to be taken seriously as a dancer.

For #1, I would hope they choose GOOD video instruction, but ultimately they're just wanting to do something fun. I learned basic salsa moves from a dvd. It's fun. I'm learning poi spinning from a dvd. For fun.

For #2, I don't believe these students CAN learn from video instruction, at least at first. I'm still on the fence as to whether an "advanced" level dancer can get a lot out of videos. I've learned a lot, but I think I'd be a MUCH better dancer if I had a regular advanced class every week.

I have listened in on some conversations on other forums where Dancer A complains that her "art" isn't being taken seriously. Well, I saw Dancer A dance and frankly, you could tell she hadn't taken a live class in her life. She wasn't being taken seriously because she hadn't had serious instruction.

I guess I'm just still smarting from some issues I've had here, trying to fight the stigma that bellydance is the masturbatory crap you see on a lot of YouTube videos.

It goes back to the issue that you can watch a few videos, learn a few moves, and decide all of a sudden you're ready for the stage, and then people like me have to pick up the pieces and try to get the dance taken seriously again. (I'm just on a rampage right now!)

adiemus

For me, DVD is useful as a supplement because you can stop, start, review, go over and over and over to 'get' a move. I forget what's been done in class, and without the ability to see a move done properly, could easily practice for a week doing the wrong thing.
As for learning entirely from DVD or YouTube - well that's plain silly, you can't. After all, DVD's don't gently but firmly tell you you've got your butt poking out like a duck! And they don't laugh with you when you finally get it right!
But...as a reference, and for practice, and some motivation, I think there is value in them.

The problem with people with a little knowledge going out to perform is exactly what happens in music, counselling, fashion, hairdressing - any field you can think of that isn't completely regulated (and even then people can get around regulations!). Although they may have some success initially, it becomes clear to the general public after a while that this person is simply not up to scratch... and yes, passionate people end up picking up the pieces. As a health care provider, I have ended up picking up the pieces from people who have gone to see an unskilled/partially trained 'counsellor' - it's not pretty, but this is why we keep on learning, keep on training.

Humility isn't often found in the performing arts, especially in the amateur level (as someone who has sat on the sidelines a LOT), but it can be and is modelled by teachers who acknowledge they need to keep on learning, keep on refining their technique. A salute to those who do - you're fabulous!

rita1969

Banned
I also have watched "Inked" and "Extreme makeover" a few times on TV. I'm planning within a year or two to open a cello instruction/tatoo parlour/plastic surgery clinic.

Sedonia
You need a teacher for music also.:lol:

Oh! I can't tell you the hope and inspiration this gives me!!

I love the cello and have always wished I started playing it when I was young. Those of you who have visited my youtube playlist may have noticed a number of cello clips interspersed with the Egyptian dancers.

I'm hoping that by spending lots of time watching Maurice Gendron, Yo Yo Ma, and Mischa Maisky enough, that I will be able to one day play cello and be very good. Teacher? Lessons? I don't have time for that, plus I'm naturally musically inclined, and everyone knows that if you're musically inclined you don't really need training. I also don't own a cello, but that can come later, kinda like pelvic posture can be picked up in oriental dance after mastering all the difficult moves.

:cool:

Sedonia

p.s. O.K. I'll admit it. I only watch Maurice Gendron because he's HOT! What passion!!

:D
You need a teacher also for music.Thats great you are musically inclined.

NO commets

Last edited by a moderator:

Kashmir

expert village needs more info though.

so if you cant learn from youtube how could you possibly learn from dvd? whats the difference after all?
DVDs tend to be a lot longer - the DVD (video actually) I recommend for my students is 3 hours long. It is created by an experienced teacher with many years experience (Elenie from the Gold Coast).

Web publishing is shorter and can be far more erratic as it can be produced by any idiot with a camera (true to a lesser extent with DVDs - I have seen some crap ones).

Also, with DVDs you can get recommendations from experienced dancers. Too often people fall across something on the web which can be have bad technique, incorrect information, unsafe moves, no warm up and poorly taught. Not knowing any better they use this source and can end up as injured dancers with no feel for the music or real idea how the movement vocab fits together or is correctly executed.

In all cases some real person classes are needed until you have a good solid background and the ability to observe your own body.

adiemus

I agree with Kashmir (I have to, she's my teacher...) you need to know what your body looks like which is why I video myself... Not that any of my videos are going to end up on YouTube!!!

Kashmir

I agree with Kashmir (I have to, she's my teacher...) you need to know what your body looks like which is why I video myself... Not that any of my videos are going to end up on YouTube!!!
I considered coming in anonymously - but that just isn't my style
:D

Shanazel

Is irony and sarcasm lost on some?

Yes. My grandmother understood neither, I think because it never occurred to her that the world was not filled with people like her who rarely had an unkind thought, or said a remotely facetious word.

That particular gene is recessive, and I was bombarded by dominant sarcasm genes from other forebearers. So my attitude is not my fault and I am the victim of genetics, right? I said, RIGHT?

adiemus

If it's not genetics, then it HAS to be the way you were brought up, so either way we can blame our parents can't we?!! ps my mother said I shouldn't become a psychologist because they just teach people to blame their parents for everything.... there could be some truth in this?!

Aisha Azar

Blame, etc.

If it's not genetics, then it HAS to be the way you were brought up, so either way we can blame our parents can't we?!! ps my mother said I shouldn't become a psychologist because they just teach people to blame their parents for everything.... there could be some truth in this?!

Dear Adiemus,
In fact, there ARE those who could have turned out better human beings had they been raised by rabid wolves.
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Parents, etc.

A'isha - there could be something to be said for benign neglect by some parents huh?!!!

Dear Adiemus,
As a person who spent my "childhood" parentified, as the psychologists say
(oldest of 8 children, absentee parents), I am not sure there is such a thing a benign neglect, but I am really into the idea of taking responsibility for one's own actions after the age of 18 or at the point when we leave the nest. Most people who are not seriously mentally ill can do that, and if you believe that guy who wrote "Scripts people live" and also the gentleman "Schools Without Failure" ( both of whose names escape me fright now), it is possible in most cases of severe mental illness to make decisions for one's own survivaL. I am not sure I agree, but there are other ways of looking at things, I guess.
Regards,
A'isha

adiemus

That's so true - and one of the hardest things to let your kids do at first... but how wonderful when they show you that they stop and think before doing!