"I'm Learning from YouTube" ?????

Amanda (was Aziyade)

What is going on?

I'm on several message boards for different things, and I'm increasingly seeing people calling themselves a "bellydancer" and when I ask who they're learning from, what format, etc. they respond with, "I'm learning from YouTube."

WTF???!!!!!

I wish I had a magic stick. I could hit people with it and knock some sense into them.

Did you think you could learn ballet from watching YouTube? How about a martial art?

I realize the transmission of Oriental dance in culture is a little different than a ballet class, but STILL!!!!!

Of course, this explains the myriad videos ON YouTube of people claiming to be bellydancers. Garbage in, garbage out, I suppose...

sedoniaraqs

Oh! I can't tell you the hope and inspiration this gives me!!

I love the cello and have always wished I started playing it when I was young. Those of you who have visited my youtube playlist may have noticed a number of cello clips interspersed with the Egyptian dancers.

I'm hoping that by spending lots of time watching Maurice Gendron, Yo Yo Ma, and Mischa Maisky enough, that I will be able to one day play cello and be very good. Teacher? Lessons? I don't have time for that, plus I'm naturally musically inclined, and everyone knows that if you're musically inclined you don't really need training. I also don't own a cello, but that can come later, kinda like pelvic posture can be picked up in oriental dance after mastering all the difficult moves.

:cool:

Sedonia

p.s. O.K. I'll admit it. I only watch Maurice Gendron because he's HOT! What passion!!

Maria_Aya

Ohh
Youtube have been a great help for me also !!!
Always admired the people that skate and now with all the crazy skateboard video's i've seen in youtube, i'm off to buy my first skateboard and amaze the crowd at the piazza lol

Well all things have good and bad side.
youtube gave us the opportunity to see video's we didnt knew, teqnicks etc, but same time ... we all know :confused:

xoxo
Maria Aya

Safran

Hmm, I wonder if I could succeed learning Arabic by watching all those music videos at Youtube :think:

I agree with Maria, there is no good without the bad. At least some of those people do show up at the boards (I naively believe that at least a bit of their motivation has to do with wanting to learn more) where we can try to put some sense into them. Of course, I am not that naive to believe we can convert them all, but at least we are doing our best.

sedoniaraqs

I also have watched "Inked" and "Extreme makeover" a few times on TV. I'm planning within a year or two to open a cello instruction/tatoo parlour/plastic surgery clinic.

Sedonia

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc

I also have watched "Inked" and "Extreme makeover" a few times on TV. I'm planning within a year or two to open a cello instruction/tatoo parlour/plastic surgery clinic.

Sedonia

Dear Sedonia,
Snicker.....
Can you make it a drive-thru???
Regards,
A'isha

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I watch "House" on a regular basis, so if any of you have any ailments, please let me diagnose you. I already have a doctor costume!!

I work cheap. If you already have a doctor, please tell me how much you are paying him and I will do it for less.

gisela

Super Moderator
First you need to send me a photo of you in your doctor costume so I know that you are good enough!
:)

Ranya

This thread is hillarious...I know it started as a sort of serious topic, but it just made my day, so so funny!

Reen.Blom

Oh well I just belive that if a person is serious about the dance sooner or later (hopefully sooner) he/she will end up in class.... otherwise this person is not serious no matter what they claim or say.... *put on ignore*

Yshka

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!! I was beginning to wonder how to respond to a certain members posts that were annoying the hell out of me for the past few days.

I read along.. got upset, wanted to respond, restrained myself, went through that process again a few times... (well, respond is the understatement here, my inner self wanted to just write something really angry and click the submit button.... - whereas really angry might be another understatement lol:lol:)

Sedonia, I cannot tell you how happy I am that there's people like you who will treat trolls (either forum- or bellydance-) like they should be treated. Your posts have made my day and you've quite said everything I've been trying to figure out how to say gently for two days. THANK YOU:cool:

I agree with Reen, but sometimes unfortunately those 'not serious' people do proclaim themselves to be professional dancers which might really not be good for the image of our art. In the long run however we can only try to educate and hope the bad ones don't do too much harm.

Now Aziyade, an undercutting doctor?? Wow, you must be good!! Say, I've watched Pimp my Ride on mtv a couple of weeks ago, could we make a deal? How 'bout you treat me for an illness and I'll give your car a makeover for free?:D Afterwards we might meet up to go see Maria at the piazza, anyone else coming along?:cool:

P.s. Many many thanks to A'isha, for being such a wonderful moderator:)

Last edited:

Shanazel

Sedonia! I, too, adore cello, but I am a couple steps up on you. I had lessons in the past and actually (GASP!) own a cello. I am sure if I sit in front of it daily, crooning Bach and Apocolyptica tunes to it, it will be impressed by my devotion and teach me to play by osmosis, which is good, since I don't like to practice. And as soon as I have absorbed all the instrument has to teach me, I intend to tour the world teaching workshops in Goddess Cello. Please be sure and send me lots of postcards about how my technique changed your life.

Ranya

I second Sedonia...LOL. I already told you Shanazel how I just simply A-D-O-R-E your jokes...gosh this always makes my day. Thanks

Aniseteph

Goddess Cello... blimey, I don't want to think about what that would sound/look like.

Of course every woman has a right to express her inner wossname through her innate ability to play the cello...
and don't you forget it. :naghty:

Aisha Azar

Goddess cello

Goddess Cello music is heavenly- or do I mean unearthly?:think:

Well, I do have a person that I can name as a violin goddess.
Nadja Solerno Sonnenberg She plays as if both heaven and hell were in her very soul.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

The name is familiar, but I am so poor at recalling names, even of people I know. Does she have recordings out? (Please, no one tell me she is the violin equivalent of Yoyo Ma, or I will be really embarassed.)

Last edited: