Questions????

sugarbelly

Where I live there are no teachers unless I want to drive 5 hours 1 way 10 hours round trip. The only way I have been learning is by dvds. What can I do to help my learning advance? Are there dvds that I can use to learn more? I live smack dab in the middle of Nevada. Any help please.

Aisha Azar

Question

Where I live there are no teachers unless I want to drive 5 hours 1 way 10 hours round trip. The only way I have been learning is by dvds. What can I do to help my learning advance? Are there dvds that I can use to learn more? I live smack dab in the middle of Nevada. Any help please.

Dear Sugarbelly,
You can try to attend several GOOD workshops a year and also attend performances to see what is going on out there in the dance world. REal live contact with other dancers is a must and having a live instructor, if only through workshops is better than no contact at all. Dipending on where you live in Nevada, I think you might also be able to drive to one of the big towns or cities and take some private classes now and again.
Regards,
A'isha

sugarbelly

Where Im at is right in the middle of Nv. If you look at map you will see Eureka Nv on US-50 between Reno and Las Vegas. Thats where Im at.:( Las Vegas is 6 hours south of me and Reno is 5 hours north of me. Those are the only 2 cities that offer classes. When and where are these workshops? Are there any in Talsa Ok? Ill be traveling there this summer to attend a convention.

sugarbelly

I just looked it up and there are some teachers in Tulsa ( I spelt Tulsa wrong earlier). Ill see if I can sit in on a few. Im not going to be there long enough to take classes. Im going to see about other states I visit.

Safran

Indeed, if you can't make it to a class regularily, it is well worth to make a trip to have a private session every now and then. The instructor will corrrect your mistakes and give you hints and ideas on what you can work on in between. If you really can't afford many private classes, try to get info on courses that are just about to begin and ask the teacher if you can be a drop-in there. The more basic training you get with a rea-life teacher the better foundation you are building to advance while practicing on your own later. Good luck!

KuteNurse

Welcome! Another suggestion might be to track down other belly dancers near you. Maybe you could get together once a week to practice or even once a month. This may keep you motivated and to learn new things. Good luck to you:)

teela

Speaking as someone who lives 2 hours by air from one set of teachers and 3 hours by air from another group, I understand about learning from DVD's. I would strongly recommend that you go to workshops if you can as they really do help. I go as often as I can but I have some severe weather issues to put up with. Las Vegas has two major bellydance workshop weekends that I am aware of and there are some other major things in surrounding states. Check Aradia's website to see what is going on in Las Vegas workshop wise.
One other thing i've done is bought workshop DVD's and use them to help me do better. Honestly until, things came together about a month ago, I didn't get as much out of my DVD's as I do now.

Last edited:

yasmindiab

Here's a great opportunity for you:

Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive: Belly Dance Classes, Workshops, Lessons, Party, and more

The 2008 Bellydance Intensive!!! This year we're featuring Ava Fleming, Kami Liddle, and we just found out...KARIM NAGI! (I'm excited for that one.) ;)

Its in September, so you can start planning and saving now...we have one every year.

Also, let me recommend joining the LV Bellydancers yahoo group...there is always a lot going on in Vegas, and we'd love to have you come down and join us when you can afford to! :)

In the meantime, I highly recommend Amira's Bellydance 101 (Amira - International Emissary of Dance). She's awesome. (She's my teacher!) :)

Nice to meet you!!!

TiaSerena

Welcome! Another suggestion might be to track down other belly dancers near you. Maybe you could get together once a week to practice or even once a month. This may keep you motivated and to learn new things. Good luck to you:)

This is good advice. Even though I live in an area where I have access to as many classes or workshops as I would like, I still get together with other belly dance students so we can help each other and it is amazing for motivation and learning little tips from the more advanced students.