Hello from Seattle

Gilana

Hello ladies, I am new to this forum, so that I could post a reply that I was dying to post! So thought I better introduce myself as I have been reading this forum for at least a year.

I am a member of Emerald Rain Bellydance Co., although we call ourselves gypsy style middle eastern dancers. Lots of Basque/Spanish Gypsy work and flamenco; but am totally in love with Turkish Oriental and American Cabaret so have been spending the majority of the past year immersed in learning that.

I came to this dance after 40 years of being a ballerina...the feet just could not take pointe work anymore! Over the years I have studied, performed and been an instructor of ballet, modern and folk dance; and when I met a bellydancer in ballet class several years ago, I fell in love this art and have been obsessive/compulsive ever since.

Have learned a lot over the past year of reading your posts and look forward to being a member of this forum.

Gilana

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Welcome!! I'm in love with Turkish Oriental too!! And having a heck of time trying to find anybody who teaches it, OR the folk dances. Have you been to folk tours in Pennsylvania? I know that's quite a distance for you. I'm heading up there next summer to try and learn some Turkish folk dance. We had Ahmet Luleci in St. Louis this spring and he was GREAT! Grab him if you get a chance.

Well, don't actually grab HIM, but grab a ticket to his workshops.

LOL

Gilana

Hi Aziyade,

Yes, I am having a hard time finding instructors too! I hit every workshop labeled as Turkish, but they all seem to be Turkish Rom. And all the classes/workshops are taught by young women (all great dancers), who have studied with Reyhan in Istanbul, but their idea of instruction is "go fast" and then "go faster"!

I just got the chance to take a Turkish Oriental workshop from Artemis right here in Seattle, held at Delilah's studio...I was so excited! She actually showed the Rom movements, but then how to bring them up and out into Oriental style, which no other instructor has ever done before..what a fabulous class, and she is an incredible teacher. And the bonus was that it was so little advertised that there were only 8 of us in an all day class!

I have lots of traveling on the books for 2008, but will have to see if I can squeeze something in on the East coast for 2009....keep wanting to go to Rakkassah East, and due to my business I can never make the one in the Bay Area. Maybe can try to tie the Pennsylvania trip in with it!

Gilana

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Gilana, have you ever heard of a dancer/instructor named Veighouda in Istanbul? (I probably spelled it totally wrong.) I was told by a couple of Turkish dance enthusiasts that she's someone to look up and take classes with if you go to Turkey.
???

Gilana

That name doesn't ring a bell. I will ask my friend Dena who owns a Turkish store here, and has a second home in Istanbul, if she has heard of her. That would be a great new resource, as I am told that most of the famous Turkish Oriental dancers from several years ago, such as Tulay, etc. rarely teach anymore, for various different reasons. And just as here, it seems that Turkish Rom is all the rage.

A few of us were actually planning a bellydance trip to Turkey next year, so I had started to do some research about the Oriental dancers there to line up private lessons; and am having a difficult time. A'isha has mentioned her friend Jennet in other posts, possibly she would be a resource. Now, however, due to political reasons, several gals are rethinking their trip, so I am a little up in the air right now. Wanna go?:D

Gilana

Hi TribalDancer

Hello TribalDancer,

As a matter of fact, we know each other, only you know me by my other name of Lynn...I PMd you over on Bhuz earlier today.

I took classes from this lovely lady for about 6 months before I decided to concentrate my studies in a different area; but she is a joy to learn from and to be around!