Little Bit of A Touchy Subject

Shanazel

Maria_Aya

Just found out this trhead !
Congrats Azeeza for the result !!! Mabrouk !!
But on the other hand I really believe that a teacher have to have some psycological (grrr my english) abilities to hold a class but on the other part we are not doctors.
Last year I had a student that she was total negative to everything, all the time moaning, i cant do this, its hard blah blah and she was ruining the whole atmosfaire of the class. Tryed my best talked her privitetly to this, she was ok ok i will try, but everytime in the class she was doing the same.
A case of very rich kid that wants attention all the time.
Finaly I kicked her out of class (during a class) and we all are happier !
There is a point were we just have to realize we cant do more as teachers and persons.

Maria Aya

kmarissa

A little late to the party here ;)

Okay, I have NO knowledge of anxiety disorder or phobias, so please feel free to explain why I'm totally off-base with this thought.

However, I admit it: I sometimes cry at the worst and most embarrassing times. It can be pretty bad sometimes, and I can't seem to stop it. That said, usually the embarrassment of crying in front of other people, and especially when they try to make me feel better, is WAY worse than whatever upset me in the first place. If this student is sometimes set off by being the center of attention, she may have an even harder time calming down when everyone in class is looking at her, even if they're all being sympathetic and trying to calm her down.

So, I guess I'm wondering... if she knows that she can duck into the extra room or otherwise step out of class for a moment, without having to draw attention to herself or walk across the room to do so, then maybe these episodes won't be such an issue? From the sound of things, she probably hates disrupting class as much as you hate it. When she has an episode, does she actually NEED babysitting, or anything else that would require disrupting class? Having the whole class stop and look at her, and having her instructor sit down with her and "babysit" her... Even though I'm sure everyone is really well-intentioned, I wonder if these things help her feel better or just make her feel more awkward and embarrassed. Of course, this doesn't help with the performing issue, but it sounds like that is coming along well!

Thoughts?

kiewiet

That is fantastic Azeeza.
It sounds familiar to me, the "I cant perform in class but on stage I am fine" scenario.
I actually start giggling (and I NEVeR giggle other times!) if I have to do things in class, but I never do this on stage. It is as if on stage someone else is performing(a real diva might I add, who loves it:) )

Maybe with time this student will become more omfortable around her peers. I know I have. I also know that my problem is due to being made to "perform'for family/friends as a child and then deal with their less than friendly criticism as well as the outfall afterwards from the person who made me do it:(. Being able to "get it together" away from people really helped me too.

adiemus

A little late to the party here ;)
If this student is sometimes set off by being the center of attention, she may have an even harder time calming down when everyone in class is looking at her, even if they're all being sympathetic and trying to calm her down.

Thoughts?

Good thinking kmarissa... I wondered whether just asking her what she would like to have happen might give some options that we haven't thought of.

The other thing is, breathing is good for all of us! Breathing out and saying something to yourself like 'it's going to be fine', or 'relax', or 'chill' helps to distract as well as being great for calming the body and mind!

Aisha Azar

Anxiety

Good thinking kmarissa... I wondered whether just asking her what she would like to have happen might give some options that we haven't thought of.

The other thing is, breathing is good for all of us! Breathing out and saying something to yourself like 'it's going to be fine', or 'relax', or 'chill' helps to distract as well as being great for calming the body and mind!

Dear Adiemus,
I am not trying to be contrary here, but I think I should interject something. When people are feeling anxious, one of the regular side effects is actually breathing too deeply and upsetting the ratio of oxygen to other gases in the bloodstream. This is what leads to the tingly fingers, feelings of dizziness and disorientation, and also to the heart beating fast at times. People who are in the midst of an anxiety attack should NOT take deep breaths because this makes the problem worse. One thing that might help, if they are lucky, is breathing into a paper bag to restore the proper ratio of oxygen in the blood stream.
Regards,
A'isha

adiemus

A'isha you're right - but it's not the breathing itself that creates the problem, it's NOT breathing out...

We end up breathing in rapidly but shallowly which means that there is an increased O2 to CO2 ratio, leading to hyperventilation shakes and tingliness.

Slowing the breathing down by focusing on breathing out (we ALWAYS breathe in!!!!) helps by normalising the CO2 and O2 levels. If this is really difficult, breathing in and out through cupped hands (easier to find than a paper bag!) can get things back into balance.

The other reason I suggest breathing out is that there is a normal physiological relaxation response to the out breath, which we can learn to use along with relaxing a stretched limb/limbs and a relaxing word to develop a very quick relaxation that helps regain control in a stressful situation.

Soooo - we're both right!

Breathing in too deeply can lead to hyperventilation, breathing out slowly brings on the relaxation response. Concentrating on the out breath helps regain control and slows the respiration rate, as well as using the already existing relaxation response.

I hope that helps!