Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I'm having trouble with a step

This step is totally eluding me - it's a sideways travelling step that my teacher calls the 'batta' (bah-tah), which is supposed to be something about a 'duck' step. I can't describe it, but your hip is supposed to pop up as you step, and I just can't get it - I end up doing the reverse or a 'contra-batta', which is not what I want to do. Does anyone know the step? or how to do it properly? I've gone over and over it and just cannot do it....

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we just learned a step similiar. I am not certain about the hip action. I am too new to tell you otherwise. I was actually focusing on just getting the basic step down before concentrating on the hip. Good luck and I can't wait to hear what everyone else says about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to visualize it... Is it a 3/4 shimmy while walking sideways?

Regards
    Priscilla

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Tammy; 11-06-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Tammy; 11-06-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tammy how did you do it?!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batta

This guy is doing it from about 9.30 - 9.15 (from the beginning)... He puts a shimmy on it, but I don't (actually I just can't get it!!)
    Last edited by adiemus; 11-04-2007 at 03:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Adiemus, that move falls into the category I call weighted down hips -- because you are moving your weighted hip downwards.

Can you stand on your right leg (e.g. with all or most of your weight on your right leg) and drop you right hip?

There is a huge vocabulary of movement in the modern Egyptian style that relies on movements of the weighted hip.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sedonia
    Yes I can do that, but somehow I do it backwards? And the right heel is off the ground, with leg bent, all the weight on the right foot until the hip is up then transfers to the left foot.
    I think I need to video it and then review again and again....

Post Thanks / Like

The clip looks a bit like what my teacher calls the Saiidi step, with a twisty shimmy on some of them. He breaks it right down really nicely later in the clip.

The step I learned has a strong R hip down as you step flat footed onto the R though, which makes it very earthy and heavy. I don't think he's pushing the hip down much, so it's much lighter. As the weight goes down onto the R the L hip is pushed up, and because the feet are on a diagonal here the effect is that the L hip pushes out behind (watch his hips around -6.34). Look at his heels too - the L heel stays up.

The feet are basically step, together, step, together.... with the step foot being onto a flat foot and the together foot being always on the ball with the heel right up. Try just doing that without worrying about hips and see if you don't waddle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast