Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

*thread hijack* Oh my my my. I *hate* youtube comments. They're too frequently uncivil and downright mean and prejudice. These are no exception. Why do people do this? *hijack over*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaeesha View Post
    *thread hijack* Oh my my my. I *hate* youtube comments. They're too frequently uncivil and downright mean and prejudice. These are no exception. Why do people do this? *hijack over*
    Sorry to moderators for joining in the hijack, but I SO have to agree with you Aaeesha. My teacher had a tiny clip on youtube, obviously not professionally filmed but part of a professional performance, and there were some absolutely horrible comments. I nearly joined youtube to shout at some of them, but she took it off there anyway.

Why do people do this? because there are an awful lot of stupid, rude, uneducated and unpleasant morons out there on the web. IMHO. Sorry for rant but this has been bothering me for a while. I feel better for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the comments on YouTube - some people (with too much time on their hands) are downright nasty. If they put that same effort into actually achieving something... *sigh*
    Last edited by Inanna; 08-05-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what comments you are talking about?
    I almost never see nasty comments for bellydance video clips (unless you mean comments like "you are such a good, sexy dancer", when it is a total beginner)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grrr!!!

Well, I've seen very few nasty comments (as in negative criticisms). What I have seen, and this is what makes me gag , is when they say something like, "oh, she's good but she's not as good as Shakira.... Shakira is the best bellydancer in the world." Nothing against Shakira, I like her as much as the next person, but she is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a bellydancer. I also hate the ones from two certain guys, if you are ever on youtube than you know who they are, who are always making ignorant and sometimes sexist comments about different videos. They'll say, "oh I just love her! She is sooo sexy and sooo talented! Her body is sooo hot!!" And usually, the dancer in question is not necessarily that talented, even downright awful at times.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhaL475Mj98
    Remember this rather distasteful dancer? The one who was using the making-the-bed-style veil work? Well, one of these two imbeciles defended her "talent" in the comments. Anybody who says she's an amazing dancer clearly has no idea, not even an inkling, of what bellydance is and has no business arguing over the merit of anyone's performance. Yep, that pisses me off. Okay sorry rant over.
    Last edited by Michelle; 08-09-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had just one negative written comment so far- it was for a work in progress piece, clearly unfinished, and this person said that the dancers need serious work on their timing. Well, duh! After only two rehearsals, I'd like to see what her work looks like. Anyway, now I put a disclaimer in the description, that this is a new, raw work in progress, only a rehearsal or two, etc.

I think most people, if they don't like the clip, simply move on and keep their negativity to themselves. But I did get a "one star" vote which was surely some secret enemy or some spiteful jerk, because it was for a dance which most people consider one of my best, "Forever Child."

Most of those mean people are really jealous and insecure, and should be pitied, more than anything. However, when I occasionally "bag" on other male dancers, that's just my Y chromosome territoriality coming out. I want to be the only one, you see- like, how can a harem have two sultans? Ridiculous!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    I also hate the ones from two certain guys, if you are ever on youtube than you know who they are, who are always making ignorant and sometimes sexist comments about different videos. They'll say, "oh I just love her! She is sooo sexy and sooo talented! Her body is sooo hot!!" And usually, the dancer in question is not necessarily that talented, even downright awful at times.
    Yeah you're right. I thought you were talking about negative critisism only, but yes, I see comments like this all the time. It always gives me a good feeling when I see also other comments on videos like that, such as "Girl, I don't know what you're doing, but it's absolutely not bellydance."

Quote Originally Posted by recnadocir
    But I did get a "one star" vote which was surely some secret enemy or some spiteful jerk, because it was for a dance which most people consider one of my best, "Forever Child."
    I think people who consider it one of your best dances know what they're talking about. The man that gave you a one star vote probably was a sexist guy like Michelle described that was looking for a "sexy girl" and didn't like to find a male dancer clip instead.

Post Thanks / Like

The nastiest comments though are the ones that turn into a race bashing thread; either a middle eastern person (or just claiming to be) bashing the "foreign" dancers, or "western people" bashing the middle east. It gets disturbing I tell you . Case in point:
    http://www.youtube.com/comment_servl...%3DjGKrORo60fw
    You have to click on All Comments and read down. This is just far too common and it destroys the purpose of a community like youtube. It's just sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhaL475Mj98
    Remember this rather distasteful dancer? The one who was using the making-the-bed-style veil work?
    It looks like her veil likes her about as much as mine likes me *lol*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaeesha View Post
    The nastiest comments though are the ones that turn into a race bashing thread; either a middle eastern person (or just claiming to be) bashing the "foreign" dancers, or "western people" bashing the middle east. It gets disturbing I tell you . Case in point:
    http://www.youtube.com/comment_servl...%3DjGKrORo60fw
    You have to click on All Comments and read down. This is just far too common and it destroys the purpose of a community like youtube. It's just sad.
    Gee, now it makes me kind of glad that I try to ignore all the comments on any of the videos on youtube.... because I would surely have high blood pressure after reading them from so much anger and indignation....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast