YouTube Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaeesha

*thread hijack* Oh my my my. I *hate* youtube comments. They're too frequently uncivil and downright mean and prejudice. These are no exception. Why do people do this? *hijack over*

Aniseteph

*thread hijack* Oh my my my. I *hate* youtube comments. They're too frequently uncivil and downright mean and prejudice. These are no exception. Why do people do this? *hijack over*

Sorry to moderators for joining in the hijack, but I SO have to agree with you Aaeesha. My teacher had a tiny clip on youtube, obviously not professionally filmed but part of a professional performance, and there were some absolutely horrible comments.:mad: :mad: :mad: I nearly joined youtube to shout at some of them, but she took it off there anyway.

Why do people do this? because there are an awful lot of stupid, rude, uneducated and unpleasant morons out there on the web. IMHO. Sorry for rant but this has been bothering me for a while. I feel better for sharing!

gwinity

I agree about the comments on YouTube - some people (with too much time on their hands) are downright nasty. :( If they put that same effort into actually achieving something... *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:

Moon

I wonder what comments you are talking about?
I almost never see nasty comments for bellydance video clips (unless you mean comments like "you are such a good, sexy dancer", when it is a total beginner)

Michelle

Grrr!!!

Well, I've seen very few nasty comments (as in negative criticisms). What I have seen, and this is what makes me gag :mad:, is when they say something like, "oh, she's good but she's not as good as Shakira.... Shakira is the best bellydancer in the world." Nothing against Shakira, I like her as much as the next person, but she is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a bellydancer. I also hate the ones from two certain guys, if you are ever on youtube than you know who they are, who are always making ignorant and sometimes sexist comments about different videos. They'll say, "oh I just love her! She is sooo sexy and sooo talented! Her body is sooo hot!!" And usually, the dancer in question is not necessarily that talented, even downright awful at times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhaL475Mj98
Remember this rather distasteful dancer? The one who was using the making-the-bed-style veil work? Well, one of these two imbeciles defended her "talent" in the comments. Anybody who says she's an amazing dancer clearly has no idea, not even an inkling, of what bellydance is and has no business arguing over the merit of anyone's performance. Yep, that pisses me off. Okay sorry rant over.

Last edited:

Recnadocir

I've had just one negative written comment so far- it was for a work in progress piece, clearly unfinished, and this person said that the dancers need serious work on their timing. Well, duh! After only two rehearsals, I'd like to see what her work looks like. Anyway, now I put a disclaimer in the description, that this is a new, raw work in progress, only a rehearsal or two, etc.

I think most people, if they don't like the clip, simply move on and keep their negativity to themselves. But I did get a "one star" vote which was surely some secret enemy or some spiteful jerk, because it was for a dance which most people consider one of my best, "Forever Child."

Most of those mean people are really jealous and insecure, and should be pitied, more than anything. However, when I occasionally "bag" on other male dancers, that's just my Y chromosome territoriality coming out. I want to be the only one, you see- like, how can a harem have two sultans? Ridiculous!

Moon

michelle said:
I also hate the ones from two certain guys, if you are ever on youtube than you know who they are, who are always making ignorant and sometimes sexist comments about different videos. They'll say, "oh I just love her! She is sooo sexy and sooo talented! Her body is sooo hot!!" And usually, the dancer in question is not necessarily that talented, even downright awful at times.

Yeah you're right. I thought you were talking about negative critisism only, but yes, I see comments like this all the time. It always gives me a good feeling when I see also other comments on videos like that, such as "Girl, I don't know what you're doing, but it's absolutely not bellydance."

recnadocir said:
But I did get a "one star" vote which was surely some secret enemy or some spiteful jerk, because it was for a dance which most people consider one of my best, "Forever Child."

I think people who consider it one of your best dances know what they're talking about. The man that gave you a one star vote probably was a sexist guy like Michelle described that was looking for a "sexy girl" and didn't like to find a male dancer clip instead.

Aaeesha

The nastiest comments though are the ones that turn into a race bashing thread; either a middle eastern person (or just claiming to be) bashing the "foreign" dancers, or "western people" bashing the middle east. It gets disturbing I tell you :mad: . Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=jGKrORo60fw&fromurl=/watch?v=jGKrORo60fw
You have to click on All Comments and read down. This is just far too common and it destroys the purpose of a community like youtube. It's just sad.

Michelle

The nastiest comments though are the ones that turn into a race bashing thread; either a middle eastern person (or just claiming to be) bashing the "foreign" dancers, or "western people" bashing the middle east. It gets disturbing I tell you :mad: . Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=jGKrORo60fw&fromurl=/watch?v=jGKrORo60fw
You have to click on All Comments and read down. This is just far too common and it destroys the purpose of a community like youtube. It's just sad.

Gee, now it makes me kind of glad that I try to ignore all the comments on any of the videos on youtube.... because I would surely have high blood pressure after reading them from so much anger and indignation....:mad:

Yshka

"oh, she's good but she's not as good as Shakira"

I've actually read this somewhere, something like this anyway, saying also that she didn't do anything with her hips so it wasn't bellydance anyway!!!!
NEAR A FIFI ABDOU VIDEO:eek: :eek:

How stupid can one get really???? She's only like, one of the best dancers ever...:rolleyes:

I hate those comments on YouTube. I generally stay away from them to avoid high blood pressure:D (nice way of putting it Michelle!) or as Aniseteph desribes I would have signed up for it and kicked their B*tts...

I can't stand the ones that say stuff about underaverage dancers or people disgracing the dance that say omg look at her she's so hot she's so good blablabla.. makes me even more angry. For me YouTube is usually watching a clip and then leaving soon enough so I don't read all the nasty comments.

I recall one saying "OMG She is so talented!!!" to a close up clip of a girls belly doing O's/ummi's on and on and on...

Recnadocir

Unfortunately You Tube also seems to attract the pedophiles. There was a video clip a while back of a very young female belly dancer, and her video clip attracted the attentions of a real sicko. Perhaps You Tube should consider using moderators, since the site administrators cannot possibly keep up with the huge volume of videos and comments. I think it would be a big job even for moderators, though...

Yshka

My god Rico that's disgusting. I think problem really is that nobody really keeps an eye on what's happening. It's a shame, could be a nice site. Moderators would be good to keep track of what's happening around there. It would be a huge load of work for moderators too, but how about dividing it into separate categories or the like and having different moderatorsfor that. Would still be big but at least someone would be checking it out every now and then to keep it spam/abuse free..

Amri_

Once I read a comment on youtube that made me stay away & be aware of reading any of youtube comments.... as usually, people started a discussion about one dancer's preformance, and then the topic moved slowly-slowly to rape:shok: And there one boy says " Don't say that rape is a bad thing, if my mom wasn't raped I wouldn't have been born"...... I was glad that other boys started yelling & swearing & saying that the boy was sick & he needed a doctor's help... After that I don't read youtube comments....:confused:

jenc

You can report things to youtube. apparently they have a no racial harassment policy BUT I reported an anti-Roma vid from someone called something like Killgypsies and got no reply. I can only assume that they refuse to recognise Roma as a racial group.

This is not unique to them. In the Uk you can incite hatred against Muslims because they are not a racial group.

karena

This is not unique to them. In the Uk you can incite hatred against Muslims because they are not a racial group.

I thought that's why they brought in the inciting religious hatred legislation, or did that not get passed?

jenc

I thought that's why they brought in the inciting religious hatred legislation, or did that not get passed?

sorry should have said until recently used to be able to.

I was thinking more about that the person intending the slur means it racially - but the authorities decided that religion was the reason for slur, death threats etc and that made it somehow OK.

echarpebleue

I got "shuttup u ugly something something, ur stupid" comments on my profile for telling them to stop saying bad things on certain videos. hehe i just blocked them.

Tarik Sultan

I made two videos to rebut someone who said something really stupid when I put up my first videos. Had I known youtube was a magnet for disturbed people I wouldn't have bothered. The sad thing is that it just shows you how many disturbed people there really are out there. Its frightening to think about it.

I realized later it had nothing to do with me. I saw a video of two kids one 4yrs old the other 6 and they were drumming. The kids were as good as adult professionals, but the hate filled comments.... That's when I realized what was going on. If you see an ethnic video, you can bet someone from the neighboring country is going to slam it. If its a religious video, same thing. I made a different video on a topic unrelated to dance and finally I just disabled comments because of all the racist slurs being hurled back and forth, then I started getting hate mail about not allowing people to call each other nigger and cracker. There are a lot of disturbed people out there and the anonymity of the internet gives them a vehicle to vent. Most times they don't even watch the video. They just see the title, go straight to the comments and picks a fight.

I would say to everyone here not to be intimidated. realize that there are going to be people out there who say mean things just because. You can disable comments, delete comments or not allow them without your approval. I know its hard, because in real life, people would never say such crude things to your face, especially when you know them, so its a shock to be on the receiving end of that crap. Don't let if crush you. There are always people who are touched by what you share and they are the ones you have to focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.