Fit for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babylonia

Gwinity:Snorkeling sounds like great fun! I plan to buy a snorkel and fins for the summer. I guess it's your summer down under right now. :) Any tips for a novice that I should know about?

Venfica:You'll get there. It cant ake time to build up your stamina butit can be done. A little practice everyday goes a long way. :)

Miss Shimmy: You've inspired me in so many ways. :D

sstacy123

Ooh, guess what I've done today ladies? I brought some clothes to work out in after work...although there are 8 plus hours till I get off from work that I could change my mind...ooh I weighed myself and I'm back where I was before my little week or so off I took...though I haven't been doing well with the soda, though the rotting teeth thing has been on the mind...Hope everyone has a good day, or rest of the day, whichever it may be.

miss_shimmy

hello beautiful dancers ((hugs))how are you today,everyone is sounding so bright and inspiring.I love coming here and reading you.

all is well here,doing callanetics and dance each day,some days alott,some days a little,and somedays complete rest,2 rest days i had last week.

ah chocolate once in a while is just great Venefica:) i hope you enjoyed every bit of it.
hi there Gwinity,great to ''see''you,yeppo ive to make a callanetics vid to pass my teacher exsam.:)

babylonia,your friendship is precious,wow i wish we could all go snorkelling together and make huge ripples as we swim and shimmy :)that is a fun thought!!I do love snorkelling but not here,the water is ughy yukky,but whenever i go abroad..actually i just remembered i had a dream last night i was in cyprus!!:D

stacy,thats so awesome that you got workout clothes,you will soon be shaping up to something even more amazing,the other thing i wanted to say to you is...
if you think you can,you can,if you think you can't ,you can't ;)

sstacy123

:) Well eh...I just remembered I have a cultural activity that I have to go to tonight for school...I almost forgot about it! Now I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the gym...:confused: Ergh...I'm gonna get back to that gym some day, some how, some way!!!!

Venefica

Yes practice is the thing. i am hoping to get into a rotuine whit a half an houer bellydance training a day.

Happy wishes to you all.

Babylonia

Stacy: I've had days like that where I was planning on going to the Y and something comes up. It usually happens on my bellydance class time.:mad: You'll make it! And it'll feel so good when you're done. :D

gwinity

Babylonia, if you're buying a snorkel, get one with a release valve on the bottom rather than the old-fashioned J-shape, so you can expel water and not drown if you go under water or a wave hits you. I find closed-in fins that fit like shoes make my feet cramp, but the open-back ones are more expensive, so at the moment, I'm swimming without any. Remember to spit in your mask, wipe it then rinse it so you don't fog up. Wear LOTS of sunscreen, and reapply it liberally. Watch out for jellyfish and sharks and sharp things (wear booties, if you don't have fins, to protect your feet from litter and shells), and only go as far as you feel confident. And most importantly, have FUN!

Miss Shimmy: That's fantastic - congratulations!! :D Is this the final thing you need to do before becoming a fully-fledged instructor?

Ariella

Hey, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here(I haven't read all 47 pages I must confess, but I've been observing a decent amount), but have any of you tried measuring your percent body fat instead of weighing yourself? A work out buddy mentioned it to me today, and let me use his scale. I think it's more accurate - weight can go up and down: losing fat will make us lose weight, but gaining muscle will make us gain weight, and muscle weighs more than fat. The scale that measured me told me I was 22% body fat today. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens over the course of me working out. Keep up the hard work everyone!

sstacy123

Yes, my scale measures body fat percentage...though the last couple of times I've weighed I got off the scale before it told me that...the last I remember it being was 29% I think???:mad:

Venefica

How can your scale messure that? I mean if you have a strong bone structure more of your weight will not be fat than if you are petite, the same if you are well trained you will weigh more but have less fat, so how can a weight deterine what weight is what?

miss_shimmy

awesome point Venefica,like muscle weighs more than fat,so like take callanetics for exsample,you tone in ,strengthen and lengthen,yet you would weigh more on the scales,yet your measurements are snaller,callan explains this well,i will go find it in my book...

Last edited:

sstacy123

Well I don't know how accurate my scale is, you enter your height, gender, and age. I don't know how exactly it works, but it is supposed to send some kind of signal through your body, it tells you your bodyfat, bone mass, muscle mass, body water, how it tells the difference I don't know. There is also a option for athletes.

Ariella

Hey ladies,
The scales that measure percent fat are actually pretty accurate, if they are of quality. The scale does not determine how much fat you have based on your weight alone. It works by testing your electrical conductivity. This means that it passes a small electric current through you and sees how well it travels. Electricity travels through lean muscle mass(bone,muscle,organs) differently than fat, so it can tell how much of your weight is fat. As far as I know, the height, gender, and age question just makes the scale more accurate.

Venefica

I did not know they made that ad wigiths one could buy for ones home, my fiancee says there are ways a doctor can mesure it by the help of a tank of wather you go into, i guess that is also currnet based, but i have never seen such a weight in Norway, but then, we are always a bit after.

Babylonia

I have a doctor's type scale that's pretty accurate. :confused: I'd really like to get one that measures bodyfat etc. The scale is just a tool you can use to help you with your transformation along with your tape measure, mirror and clothing.

sstacy123

Yeah I've seen those with the tank and the water, I figure they are probably more accurate but I figure this scale gives me an idea...

gwinity

When I used to go to the gym, the trainers would weigh you with the body-fat-measuring scales. EEK! Surely that's the worst idea for incentive to get people (who may be out of shape) to go exercise??

I don't use scales - I refuse to. I think they're demoralising and inaccurate, and the best way to tell if you're losing weight is how clothes fit and how happy/confident/fit you feel.

miss_shimmy

I don't use scales - I refuse to. I think they're demoralising and inaccurate, and the best way to tell if you're losing weight is how clothes fit and how happy/confident/fit you feel.

must admit,me neither,i agree with you for sure.

The scale is just a tool you can use to help you with your transformation along with your tape measure, mirror and clothing.

very well put babylonia.

The scales that measure percent fat are actually pretty accurate, if they are of quality. The scale does not determine how much fat you have based on your weight alone. It works by testing your electrical conductivity. This means that it passes a small electric current through you and sees how well it travels. Electricity travels through lean muscle mass(bone,muscle,organs) differently than fat, so it can tell how much of your weight is fat. As far as I know, the height, gender, and age question just makes the scale more accurate.

thankyou for sharing that Ariella

how was it with the rats venefica?HAVE THEY GONE HOME AGAIN?oops sorryfor caps.

did hour of callanetics yesterday,doing 15 minute session today.
might measure myself as this morning i am feeling slimmer:)

still doing the food combining,getting into it no probs:)

Venefica

I agree, besides your weight go up and down all a little all the time, if one wiegh often it is easy to get sad and loose hope when one see one have gained a little weight, even if this is just natrual, I agree that is it better to messure by clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.