Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions for beginners Veil

What would be a good suggestion for a beginners veil? The one I have is just too big as I have lots of fabric on the ends when I hold it out behind me. The fabic is a heavy chiffon and hard to handle. I bought it on ebay a while ago and it is edged in plastic coins. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

There are other threads on this - search the forum!

My teacher just started our class on veils this term. She recommended us to just get a plain length of chiffon (hem the ends or it'll fray). Not too wide; when you hold it with your arms straight out sideways it needs to be well clear of the floor, and long enough that you have a bit (about 30cm?) extra each end.

The soft drapey stuff is easiest if you are learning floaty moves. Stiffer fabrics eg crystal organza look lovely but don't flow as well. Edgings like beads and sequins change things again - bit more swish and less float. I don't like using my beaded one in class because it's too crowded and I worry all the time I'll hit someone with it. And I think fancy edgings can make it trickier if you are doing anything where you need to change where you are holding it. Not that we are that advanced yet - daren't let go!

Post Thanks / Like

Eeeee! I wouldn't know how to fix a pre-made veil. However, I finally found the chapter in one of my books about how to select veils. In Laura A. Cooper's "Belly Dancing Basics," she suggests that you hold out your arms horizontally, and have someone measure you from fingertip to fingertip with a tape measure. Take that number, and add three feet, and that's how long your veils should be (with a two to three inch leeway). Pretty trim is nice, but you have to be careful, because it can affect the floatability of your veil. I made a veil from some gorgeous blue chiffon (the pattern consists of jacquard flowers, and is accented with a medium rose color), and am now in the processing of sewing an electric blue sequin trim along the horizontal edges. Much to my disappointment, though, the trim has caused my veil to now pummel to earth like a rock, even though the trim is not heavy at all. Lesson learned. I passed this nugget of wisdom on to one of my dance sisters in class, but she was still insistent upon sewing metal coin trim all the way around her veil. She still loves it, but now she worries about slapping someone in the eye with her veil. We just now give her a wide berth when she does veil work.

Wow, Anisteph, we must have been working on our posts at the same time; great minds run on the same channel!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 11-08-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Anisteph and I posted at almost the same time; we must be "channeling" one another! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your responses.

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon girlys and guys - grow muscles if the thing is too long!! Small veils look just a bit 'thrifty' IMHO (but too wide can be a problem I think - mine is OK at 150cm and I'm a shorty). The length of mine is about 2.5m I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad strong for a middle-aged lady

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    C'mon girlys and guys - grow muscles if the thing is too long!! Small veils look just a bit 'thrifty' IMHO (but too wide can be a problem I think - mine is OK at 150cm and I'm a shorty). The length of mine is about 2.5m I think.
    I do have muscles---I lift TV's, computers, and stock for a living. I just don't like stepping on my veils (my arms are short).
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 11-09-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I do have muscles---I lift TV's, computers, and stock for a living. I just don't like stepping on my veils (my arms are short).
    Then use your arms to loft the veil off the floor Seriously, if the veil is moving it should be well clearing the floor. I have a student who is about 5' and copes quite well with a 120cm (4') deep veil. Also avoid the drape over the neck and shoulder thing as this will tend to have it lying dead right where your feet are about to step.

Post Thanks / Like

My first teacher recommended new students get a chiffon veil...the first one I ordered was off of ebay and it had the trim around it too. It kept getting hung on my hip scarf...so then I ordered a silk veil...I much prefer the silk veil...and now I wouldn't dare use that veil I ordered off ebay...it is way too heavy...I do have other chiffon veils I would use but I still like the silk veils better personally...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sstacy123 View Post
    My first teacher recommended new students get a chiffon veil...the first one I ordered was off of ebay and it had the trim around it too. It kept getting hung on my hip scarf...so then I ordered a silk veil...I much prefer the silk veil...and now I wouldn't dare use that veil I ordered off ebay...it is way too heavy...I do have other chiffon veils I would use but I still like the silk veils better personally...
    Chiffon is a weave - was it a polyester chiffon, a silk chiffon, or something else?

Silk chiffons can be very nice, I have a couple of 4 yard silk chiffon veils that I like a lot. They're a tad heavier than a "plain" silk one, but not too much.

Poly chiffons tend to weigh a ton. I don't like them very well, but they do have their place and I have two of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast