What's up with this posture??

Suheir

That is the worst possible posture for a pregnant woman - leaning back with an arched back. It's not possible to tell exactly what they were doing from one photo but looking at the instructor I'd suspect she didn't know what she was doing, both from the point of view of how pregnant women should be holding themselves and from the technique point of view.

Reen.Blom

I love that part the best:
"I go home and show my husband my new moves. He thinks it's really cute." Then again, no smart husband would dare say otherwise.

LOL LOL LOL

TribalDancer

I don't see arched backs. I see illusions of arched backs, due to a twist and a lean, and it could easily have been them caught while stepping backward.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I guess it was the lean that threw me. I didn't think anybody did that anymore. But yeah, I guess if you're walking back, you'd get that.

Check out the dark-haired girl in the very back -- she's got her baby hanging OUTSIDE her belly! Too cute!

Shahrahzad

It's hard to tell what is happening - but my first thought was that it might be a transitional movement. I agree with Shay that it could be a twist and a lean.

Aniseteph

Hmm... :think: Dunno about the posture, it looks like they are mid-step to me too. But dancing with what looks like a pretty big baby in a carrier is a recipe for really bad stuff happening to backs IMHO.

Kashmir

I don’t think it is mid-step – and if it is this would not be the style I would teach to a heavily pregnant woman! Looks like what we called (possibly incorrectly) Turkish posture with a Turkish hip lift.

TribalDancer

Not the circle step I know! The feet/body line are nowhere near right for that. Unless you're thinking of another move? I kept thinking it looked like mid-teacup (terminology that Jane Archer uses--we call it a half-moon)

Shanazel

It is hard to tell anything in a still photo taken by a photographer with a penchant for odd angles. You think they'd have sent someone who had at least a vague clue how to photograph dancers, but hey.

I guess it was the lean that threw me. I didn't think anybody did that anymore

I still lean back because I am an old-style AmCab dancer. An AmCab "cheater backbend" is not a backbend at all, but an illusion created by bending the knee of the supporting leg and holding your shoulders and upper back at a slight angle. The lower back is not involved at all, and so doesn't sustain any damage, yet you still get a nice line. This is not to say some AmCab dancers couldn't and can't do spectacular backbends, of course, but I was never one of them.