Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The "Rules" of belly dance

I was at a workshop today and a couple of times there were questions along the lines of "I was told you must never do XYZ - is this true?".

For example one today was that you must never touch your body when bellydancing. I can see where it comes from - you don't want to look like you're groping yourself, but IMHO making a rule out of it is a bit rigid. OMG, I touched my hip , call the belly dance police

Another one I've heard is supporting leg = straight arm (this one did have ...except when it isn't attached). I quite like this because it helps my balance, though it can seriously mess up learning choreographies.

So, what "rules" have you heard? Which are ones you follow, which have some basis in truth but are not carved in stone, and which ones made you go "Who on earth told you THAT ?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

"Never dance for an all-male venue."

"Never stoop down to pick up tips off the floor at the end of your performance; graciously ask someone else (such as a waiter or the MC), and kindly tip them for helping."

"Always be a lady, when you're performing, and in everyday life; you are a representative of the bellydance community."
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 11-12-2007 at 02:26 AM. Reason: I forgot to put the "k" in "ask" o_O;;;

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Aniseteph;52299]I
    For example one today was that you must never touch your body when bellydancing. I can see where it comes from - you don't want to look like you're groping yourself, but IMHO making a rule out of it is a bit rigid. OMG, I touched my hip , call the belly dance police

QUOTE]

Yes, I was told my one of the Western teachers I was learning with. My egyptian teachers laughed when I told them about it. If you watch the natives, especially, Randa, she sometimes rests her aram on her hip and it it looks very pretty. Groping??? OMG! Although I have seen some cheap dancers doing pretty nasty stuff with touching.

I pay a lot of attention to, if it has to do anything with posture. Some of the moves egyptian do are not really good for the body. Western teachers pay a lot of attention to body safety issues. Eventhough I prefer to dance egyptian style, but I follow western teachinqiues to execute the moves.

One thing I am really carefull about it using rehearsed gestures in the choreograpy. Also I am careful about Zagareet. I won't even attempt a fusion, unless I know and understand the dances I am fusing.

Post Thanks / Like

Most rules have logical good reasons, but some are a bit silly. We had a group of dancers in Holland that used to have the most weirdest belly dance rules. One of their rules was that you're not supposed to keep your hands in a nice position: that you have to keep your hands flat at all times, because that was what the 'classics' did, so as a true belly dancer you'd have to do that. I check it, and it's not true: the classics keep their hands in a nice position.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets see two come to mind. If you are doing a floor routine make sure you do not have the area between your legs facing the audience, otherwise it makes you look like a stripper and the other has to do with the turkish drop shimmy. You can do it one way not the other or you are advertising your wares.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't tilt your upper body toward the audience and shimmy your boobs wildly (saw a girl pop right out of her bra doing this one time).

Don't do a deep back bend with your front to the audience.

Touching yourself can be acceptable if you can control your urge to grope yourself instead, but keep your hands off the audience!

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to most of the ones already cited:

"NEVER do a cane dance in a two piece costume with exposed belly. Either wear a beledy dress (preferable) or do a veil wrap." I can understand the origins of this - but I tend to ignore it.

Expanding on the above: "Never crotch-shot your audience. Be it floor work, back bends or whatever".

"Don't play zills over a live singer."

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest rule of all is to know as much about the music you are dancing to and how to dance to it!!! Can you imagine dancing "Lessa Fakkir" in a wedding party?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Don't tilt your upper body toward the audience and shimmy your boobs wildly (saw a girl pop right out of her bra doing this one time).
    Ha ! unless you are Fifi right?

There are rules and rules, some are logical and some are western paraphrased !

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Well, is not shaking your boobs so hard that you pop out of your bra a logical rule or western paraphrased? What does western paraphrased mean?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast