Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if a dancer havent have the right bra, and dont have the right teqnick she better not do breast shimmy like Fifi lol

Western paraphrased , example:
    "Dont touch your body, while dancing"
    Western audience might see it as touching our selves.
    Arab dancers know exactly the lyrics and where and how to do it, that its a plus to their dance

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the "rules" I learned were, I think, to help new dancers make the transition from Western dance to Eastern dance.

Don't touch yourself while dancing -- this one probably stems from new dancers wanting to place their hands all over their bodies to accentuate the "sexiness" of their newly-discovered dance. Once you learn a little bit, you start to understand how much touching is enough, and where in the music you can do it.

My only real rule anymore is TRUTH IN ADVERTISING and I stand by that wholeheartedly. Call it what it is and don't try to pass off experimental or fusion dance as anything ethnically accurate.

That's one thing that's bugged me about some of the ATS crowd. Just because some of your movements come from Tunisian dance, some from Ghawazee, and some from Egyptian or whatever -- that doesn't make it an ethnically accurate dance, or a "traditional dance." ATS is about the BEST example of Fusion dance we have: disparate elements blended together to form a beautiful new whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Western paraphrased , example:
    "Dont touch your body, while dancing"
    Western audience might see it as touching our selves.
    Arab dancers know exactly the lyrics and where and how to do it, that its a plus to their dance
    I see what you mean. One of the things that tends to get forgotten is that western dancers often dance for mostly or totally western audiences, and in such a case it is necessary to take into account local customs. If I leaned forward and shook my assets at a Wyoming audience with the same abandon Fifi shows, I know what kind of reaction I would get (especially if the assets popped out). Can you say YEE-HAW!, boys and girls?

Post Thanks / Like

it is ok to recieve tips at the side of your belt or in your bra strap. my instructor is absolutely the only dancer i've ever heard say this and i think she is dead wrong. somebody please correct me if I am wrong and she is right, but my understanding is that no one is to touch you at all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    it is ok to recieve tips at the side of your belt or in your bra strap. my instructor is absolutely the only dancer i've ever heard say this and i think she is dead wrong. somebody please correct me if I am wrong and she is right, but my understanding is that no one is to touch you at all!
    For dancers that take tips in the costume; the bra straps and side's of the belt are pretty normal places to accept the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Salome! I at least feel better hearing this from another dancer! all the others i've heard say that it's most appropriate to have them shower you with tips if they want to but that you never actually have them touch you, nor do you receive the money yourself, rather have someone else collect it on your behalf.
    i think i would still stay away from receiving tips that way in Trinidad because people here do not understand the artform or the culture and here they will equate it to strippers receiving money in a G-string and with uninformed audiences i think it's best to do what one can to avoid creating that "sex for sale" kind of impression (though we all know that's not what receiving tips is).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some from Dr Mo:

• Control your arms at all times ie have definite stop position rather than trailing off
    • Never do hand circles
    • Never move your arms while doing a hip shimmy
    • Always complete the move
    • Control your feet
    • Keep breathing (even if you have to sing to do so)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    My only real rule anymore is TRUTH IN ADVERTISING and I stand by that wholeheartedly. Call it what it is and don't try to pass off experimental or fusion dance as anything ethnically accurate.

That's one thing that's bugged me about some of the ATS crowd. Just because some of your movements come from Tunisian dance, some from Ghawazee, and some from Egyptian or whatever -- that doesn't make it an ethnically accurate dance, or a "traditional dance." ATS is about the BEST example of Fusion dance we have: disparate elements blended together to form a beautiful new whole.
    ATS dancers don't advertise their stuff as authentic, so don't worry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    • Control your arms at all times ie have definite stop position rather than trailing off
    • Never do hand circles
    • Never move your arms while doing a hip shimmy
    • Always complete the move
    • Control your feet
    • Keep breathing (even if you have to sing to do so)
    Hmm I had a teacher who used to do hand circles when dancing. I'd like to know why she shouldn't have done it.

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

Kashmir, did Dr Mo explain why you can't move yur hands while doing hip shimmies? Thnx

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast