Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have also heard things like "you should never bend your knees while doing this and this move" etc. What bothers me in that is that what is not appropriate in one dance style can well be done on others...

So IMO I think that teatchers should tell what kind of style they teach and when they say "do not do this" they should add "in this style". For example when I do hip circle in modern egyptian style I do not bend my knees (as I have been told), but when I do hip circle in turkish style I do bend knees. Both ways are correct when done in the "right" context.

Saying only "do not do this" creates an illusion that there is only one "right" dance style and others are wrong. I definetly do not think that teachers do this intentionally, but it is a side-effect...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
    So IMO I think that teatchers should tell what kind of style they teach and when they say "do not do this" they should add "in this style". For example when I do hip circle in modern egyptian style I do not bend my knees (as I have been told), but when I do hip circle in turkish style I do bend knees. Both ways are correct when done in the "right" context.

Saying only "do not do this" creates an illusion that there is only one "right" dance style and others are wrong. I definetly do not think that teachers do this intentionally, but it is a side-effect...
    You are absolutely right. Great suggestion Legeia!!!!

I don't understand the concept don't move your arms when you do hip shimmy. I use my arms when I hip shimmy. I was taught to use them to frame my body form different angles.

Another biggest rule of any dancing is LISTEN to the MUSIC first before you dance. Raqia once told me " Listen to the music first and then you dance. Don't dance together with the music. Dance always follows the music, music doen't not follow the dance".

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance

Quote Originally Posted by janaki View Post
    You are absolutely right. Great suggestion Legeia!!!!

I don't understand the concept don't move your arms when you do hip shimmy. I use my arms when I hip shimmy. I was taught to use them to frame my body form different angles.

Another biggest rule of any dancing is LISTEN to the MUSIC first before you dance. Raqia once told me " Listen to the music first and then you dance. Don't dance together with the music. Dance always follows the music, music doen't not follow the dance".
    Dear Janaki,
    I am probably going to get it big time here for daring to argue with anything that Raqia Hassan says, BUT, many Egyptian dancers own their bands and I have seen many times where the band does what the dancer says and not the other way around. A perfect example of this is every time you see the dancer signal the band as to what they want to have happen. You can see video of Nagwa where she signals her band to speed up the pace. I have seen both Fifi and Mouna signal the band to wind up a section of the music, etc. There is a video called Soheir Zaki in Germany where you can see that the drummer follows what Suheir wants, not her following him. These are the examples I can think of this early in the morning. I think in actual performance, it is a collaboration between the musicians and the dancer, not one always following the other, but for the most part working together as they both know what the other will bascially do for the show.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I'm not once again proving myself to be hopelessly out of it, but: who is Dr. Mo? I do hand circles and have been known to move my arms during a shimmy, by the way. What is the good doctor's rational behind not doing either?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    ATS dancers don't advertise their stuff as authentic, so don't worry
    Oh you would be surprised!

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

To my joke-idol Shanazel: I guess, but I might be wrong, that it is Mo Gedawi (or Geddawi?).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, I do feel so untutored at times and my memory for names is not that great anyway. Looks like it is time to do a Google search. Thank you, Ranya, for the information. Is being a joke idol a good thing? I get a vision of Moses descending from the mountain and seeing this idol who is so ridiculous he goes into a fit of laughter and drops the tablets...

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes

Hi!
    My first techer had a "rule" abot bellyroll - for female dancers bellyroll go up and opposite is only for male dancers. But there was a lot strange rules

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    Hmm I had a teacher who used to do hand circles when dancing. I'd like to know why she shouldn't have done it.
    Many of the Egyptian dancers do hand circles. Most certainly Sohair Zaki and Nagua Fouad and Samia Gamal. Fifi does them also.

When Dr. Mo says there are no hand circles in Eygptian dance, he probably means that either 1) *he* doesn't like hand circles, or 2) he saw terrible frantic butter-churning hands or flamenco flores on a belly dancer and didn't like that.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    he saw terrible frantic butter-churning hands or flamenco flores on a belly dancer and didn't like that.

Sedonia
    LOL!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast