Etiquette Rules

Wulpsie

Hi all
Maybe you can help me please. I am looking for rules (do's and don'ts)
for students.
I know the general ones
1). Keep covered at all times until danceing and then cover up again.
2) No excessive Alcohol
3.)Be kind and fair to other dancers
4.) Don't hog the lime light
5.)Always ask to borrow an item (Safety pin etc) never take
6) Always offer to lend pins etc to other dancers
7. My all time favourite NO GUM

What else can you all suggest please:)
Many thanks
Wulpsie

Moon

Don't chat with other students when the teacher is explaining something.
Ask the teacher to explain a move to you when you don't understand it, instead of complaining after class to other students about how the teacher went too fast etc.

LLAIMA

5.)Always ask to borrow an item (Safety pin etc) never take
6) Always offer to lend pins etc to other dancers

Bring your own pins?

janaki

Hi there,

I have started a thread called bellydance etiquette few months ago. Check it out. It has some great posts also now we have threads with titles "belly dance rules" and " belly dance blunders" have some great suggestions.

My simple rule is to use "commonsense" in every situtation if possible.

Wulpsie

Thanks Janaki
I looked at the forum and could not find any. Looks like Idid not look far back enough.
ta any way

Gia al Qamar

For class:
Turn off cell phones before starting class.
No street shoes on the dance floor.
If you come late to class, do NOT elbow your way to the front...
NO gum chewing.
No talking during class period.
No uninvited guests.
Bring your hip scarf, veil, zills, cane to EVERY class...don't expect the teacher to lend you items.
THANK your teacher for her hard work!
For stage:
Cover up...no veils...an actual COVER up if you're not on stage.
No yakking backstage to those preparing to dance...they need their 'me time' before dancing!
CDs at the ready with JUST your solo burned on it and clearly labeled with your name...easier for the DJ.
If you're asked for a bio, give it BEFORE the performance to the host.
BE ON TIME. No excuse for being late and not contacting your teacher or the host...ever.
Check costumes BEFORE the date of the show for wear and possible closure failure.
Be prepared for your show...know your music.
Do NOT photograph and ESPECIALLY do not record video tape without permission of the dancer and/or the host.
Thank your teacher...and the host.
Gia

KuteNurse

Be careful to not wear strong scents that may be irritable to others. A dancer wore a strange powder scent to class and it was actually so strong it was nauseating to some in the class.

SaraKat

my biggest rule

Never ever ever talk crap about other dancers-- ESPECIALLY not at dance events, and ESPECIALLY not while they are onstage performing.
I've witnessed this happen and there is no quicker way to the bottom of my blacklist. It's just not done.
If another dancer is behaving unethically, I think it's OK to warn other people about them (if your opinion is solicited) in an unemotional, reasonable way, but it is NOT OK to rag on other people's ability as dancers or teachers.
There is a time and a place for constructive criticism but it is never behind another dancer's back nor is it when no one has asked what you think.

I think the "rules" are pretty simple. For students, be respectful of your teacher, your classmates, and the other people in the community. For teachers and performers, have respect for others and remember that you might be someone's first (or last) impression of an entire artform, so always do your best to act professional, gracious and elegant.

Wulpsie

Thanks, ladies I really appreciate the input:)
It is good to know that there are ladies out there willing to share their knowledge to all

Zurah

I'd add:

- Don't ask your teacher to save you a spot in a workshop, then fail to show up - call ahead to let her know if you're not attending.
- Allow space for the people around you, you and don't hog the mirror.
- It's nice to keep an extra veil in your dance bag, in case a classmate forgets hers.

Mouse

This is a great thread. I'd also add

- Don't use sprays in the dressing room
- Keep the noise down backstage when waiting for your turn to perform