Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default How Many Classes Per Week?

    I've been taking drop in beginner classes and plan to start a proper course this winter. Most classes are once per week, but if you're serious about becoming proficient in Belly Dance (not a professional, but a master of the basics), how many classes should you take a week?

    1 hour a week seems too little! Do you think a beginner taking two classes per week is overkill?

  2. #2
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I signed up for two classes a week, but I only made it to one class a weem because of my work schedule Now I don't have classes until mid January because of the holiday season coming up. The break will be good because Christmas is such a busy time of the year to get everything done. Do you have dvd's that you can practice to? Or turn on some nice Middle Eastern music and practice the moves you have already learned

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for your reply, Kute.

    Both my day and night jobs are pretty straight forward (no variation of hours), and Sahara Dance has multiple locations, one of which is on the same street as my day job.

    No, I don't have and instructional tapes, but I do practice my shimmies, etc at home with proper music (I'm big on Saidi ).

  4. #4
    V.I.P. adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I couldn't fit in more than one dance class a week, but I practice 30 mins a day going through either the choreography we are learning, and/or shimmy drill and some of the steps I want to refine. And then just go and boogie to the drums!!

  5. #5
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In an ideal world I'd like 3 2-hour classes a week - plus time to work on what we cover in class. (In the real world I have to make do with a 40 hour intensive once a year ) Realistically I'd say a raw beginner who wants to "get it" should be looking at a minimum couple of hours a week plus homework.

  6. #6
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Classes

    Quote Originally Posted by Midoria View Post
    I've been taking drop in beginner classes and plan to start a proper course this winter. Most classes are once per week, but if you're serious about becoming proficient in Belly Dance (not a professional, but a master of the basics), how many classes should you take a week?

    1 hour a week seems too little! Do you think a beginner taking two classes per week is overkill?
    Dear Midoria,
    I would say that as a beginner, there should be enough in one class a week to keep you busy learning that material for the entire week. It is not how many classes you take, but what you get out of them and how much of your own effort you out into learning, practicing, researching on your own time, etc. Quality tine should be spent practicing what you learned in class, out of class.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Midoria,
    I would say that as a beginner, there should be enough in one class a week to keep you busy learning that material for the entire week. It is not how many classes you take, but what you get out of them and how much of your own effort you out into learning, practicing, researching on your own time, etc. Quality tine should be spent practicing what you learned in class, out of class.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to agree. But the beginners drop-in class essentially covered the first half of their beginners ciriculum over a few months time. The teacher who does the drop-in classes was actually saying that the first half of the regular beginners course would a review for those who had attended a certain number of beginner drop-in (as I have). I figure, if I'm going to spend the first 8 classes reviewing things I already learned in the drop-ins, why not double up on classes and really go for it?


    I hope I'm clear.

  8. #8
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midoria View Post
    Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to agree. But the beginners drop-in class essentially covered the first half of their beginners ciriculum over a few months time. The teacher who does the drop-in classes was actually saying that the first half of the regular beginners course would a review for those who had attended a certain number of beginner drop-in (as I have). I figure, if I'm going to spend the first 8 classes reviewing things I already learned in the drop-ins, why not double up on classes and really go for it?
    I find it is a rare beginner that "gets" it in a couple of repetitions Each move has a number of levels to "get" - eg with a big hip circle - you need to get the weight transfer, avoid lower back extension, get it smooth, control excessive upper body involvement, get it horizontally level, get it even. I don't hit the students with it all at once but build week by week. A student who has got week 1 of circles is unlikely to have got it all - because I add each bit as the underlying pieces consolidate. Yet, they may think they "have it".

    The reason I suggested more than one class a week was not so you can learn lots of new stuff but to ensure what you are doing at home is on track. If you are itching to get ahead it is important you are practicing correctly and feedback twice a week means anything you are practicing wrong should be knocked on the head within a few days

  9. #9
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default beginners

    Quote Originally Posted by Midoria View Post
    Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to agree. But the beginners drop-in class essentially covered the first half of their beginners ciriculum over a few months time. The teacher who does the drop-in classes was actually saying that the first half of the regular beginners course would a review for those who had attended a certain number of beginner drop-in (as I have). I figure, if I'm going to spend the first 8 classes reviewing things I already learned in the drop-ins, why not double up on classes and really go for it?


    I hope I'm clear.

    Dear Midoria,
    I am not sure how long you have been dancing. My beginners' class lasts one full year, during which time we are in constant review of the fundamental movements of the dance. When I go out to teach workshops, if we are going to be working on concepts in movement families, then we begin at those fundamentals. This is no matter how complex the movement we will be working with, or how "advanced" the group. The constant review of the basic movements is what will teach you to build your dance vocabulary on a firm foundation. In a beginner's class, you have never "already learned" movements. You have been introduced to them. There is a huge difference!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Mosaic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia, but a Kiwi
    Posts
    8,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midoria View Post
    I've been taking drop in beginner classes and plan to start a proper course this winter. Most classes are once per week, but if you're serious about becoming proficient in Belly Dance (not a professional, but a master of the basics), how many classes should you take a week?

    1 hour a week seems too little! Do you think a beginner taking two classes per week is overkill?
    The first 6 months I took one class a week and practised at home. Since then I have been taking 2 classes a week. I was taking 3, but the 3rd class didn't get enough people so it was dropped. I would take a class 7 days a week if I could LOL! I try very hard to do 3 practise sessions at home, but sometimes I get distracted or have so much on my plate that the day slips by and my practise "promise" has gone out the window. Classes for me work really well, No excuses why I haven't time - as they are part of my routine and I drop everything to go. For me to miss a class it means I am on my death bed, or my son is too sick to leave, which hasn't happened yet ( touch wood), I love my classes. I am procrastinating right now, I should be doing some practice, both dance and drum. I have just started my 4th year of learning so have a very long way to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •