How Many Classes Per Week?

Midoria

I've been taking drop in beginner classes and plan to start a proper course this winter. Most classes are once per week, but if you're serious about becoming proficient in Belly Dance (not a professional, but a master of the basics), how many classes should you take a week?

1 hour a week seems too little! Do you think a beginner taking two classes per week is overkill?

KuteNurse

I signed up for two classes a week, but I only made it to one class a weem because of my work schedule:( Now I don't have classes until mid January because of the holiday season coming up. The break will be good because Christmas is such a busy time of the year to get everything done. Do you have dvd's that you can practice to? Or turn on some nice Middle Eastern music and practice the moves you have already learned:)

Midoria

Thanks for your reply, Kute.

Both my day and night jobs are pretty straight forward (no variation of hours), and Sahara Dance has multiple locations, one of which is on the same street as my day job.

No, I don't have and instructional tapes, but I do practice my shimmies, etc at home with proper music (I'm big on Saidi :D).

adiemus

I couldn't fit in more than one dance class a week, but I practice 30 mins a day going through either the choreography we are learning, and/or shimmy drill and some of the steps I want to refine. And then just go and boogie to the drums!!

Kashmir

In an ideal world I'd like 3 2-hour classes a week - plus time to work on what we cover in class. (In the real world I have to make do with a 40 hour intensive once a year :( ) Realistically I'd say a raw beginner who wants to "get it" should be looking at a minimum couple of hours a week plus homework.

Aisha Azar

Classes

I've been taking drop in beginner classes and plan to start a proper course this winter. Most classes are once per week, but if you're serious about becoming proficient in Belly Dance (not a professional, but a master of the basics), how many classes should you take a week?

1 hour a week seems too little! Do you think a beginner taking two classes per week is overkill?

Dear Midoria,
I would say that as a beginner, there should be enough in one class a week to keep you busy learning that material for the entire week. It is not how many classes you take, but what you get out of them and how much of your own effort you out into learning, practicing, researching on your own time, etc. Quality tine should be spent practicing what you learned in class, out of class.
Regards,
A'isha

Midoria

Dear Midoria,
I would say that as a beginner, there should be enough in one class a week to keep you busy learning that material for the entire week. It is not how many classes you take, but what you get out of them and how much of your own effort you out into learning, practicing, researching on your own time, etc. Quality tine should be spent practicing what you learned in class, out of class.
Regards,
A'isha

Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to agree. But the beginners drop-in class essentially covered the first half of their beginners ciriculum over a few months time. The teacher who does the drop-in classes was actually saying that the first half of the regular beginners course would a review for those who had attended a certain number of beginner drop-in (as I have). I figure, if I'm going to spend the first 8 classes reviewing things I already learned in the drop-ins, why not double up on classes and really go for it?

I hope I'm clear. :lol:

Kashmir

Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to agree. But the beginners drop-in class essentially covered the first half of their beginners ciriculum over a few months time. The teacher who does the drop-in classes was actually saying that the first half of the regular beginners course would a review for those who had attended a certain number of beginner drop-in (as I have). I figure, if I'm going to spend the first 8 classes reviewing things I already learned in the drop-ins, why not double up on classes and really go for it?
I find it is a rare beginner that "gets" it in a couple of repetitions :) Each move has a number of levels to "get" - eg with a big hip circle - you need to get the weight transfer, avoid lower back extension, get it smooth, control excessive upper body involvement, get it horizontally level, get it even. I don't hit the students with it all at once but build week by week. A student who has got week 1 of circles is unlikely to have got it all - because I add each bit as the underlying pieces consolidate. Yet, they may think they "have it".

The reason I suggested more than one class a week was not so you can learn lots of new stuff but to ensure what you are doing at home is on track. If you are itching to get ahead it is important you are practicing correctly and feedback twice a week means anything you are practicing wrong should be knocked on the head within a few days :D

Aisha Azar

beginners

I hope I'm clear. :lol:

Dear Midoria,
I am not sure how long you have been dancing. My beginners' class lasts one full year, during which time we are in constant review of the fundamental movements of the dance. When I go out to teach workshops, if we are going to be working on concepts in movement families, then we begin at those fundamentals. This is no matter how complex the movement we will be working with, or how "advanced" the group. The constant review of the basic movements is what will teach you to build your dance vocabulary on a firm foundation. In a beginner's class, you have never "already learned" movements. You have been introduced to them. There is a huge difference!!
Regards,
A'isha

Mosaic

Super Moderator

The first 6 months I took one class a week and practised at home. Since then I have been taking 2 classes a week. I was taking 3, but the 3rd class didn't get enough people so it was dropped. I would take a class 7 days a week if I could LOL! I try very hard to do 3 practise sessions at home, but sometimes I get distracted or have so much on my plate that the day slips by and my practise "promise" has gone out the window. Classes for me work really well, No excuses why I haven't time - as they are part of my routine and I drop everything to go. For me to miss a class it means I am on my death bed, or my son is too sick to leave, which hasn't happened yet ( touch wood), I love my classes. I am procrastinating right now, I should be doing some practice, both dance and drum. I have just started my 4th year of learning so have a very long way to go.

Midoria

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for your responses.

I wanted to start off with some clarification. :D I'm not a "beginner" in the way some other women are. I have years (and years, lol) of informal belly dancing experience due to me being a (non-practicing) Muslimah. So I kind of grew up doing/watching shimmies, hip circles, snake arms, shoulder rolls, at Eid parties, weddings, all-women gatherings, etc. Belly Dance was always the dance style of choice, even though it was just called "dancing". So it's more about cleaning up my execution/technique. The movements themselves are not at all new to me. The proper technique while doing them, however, is quite new.

So, it's really not a matter of thinking I'm the next Dina or Suhaila after a few months of formal classes. It's more of me letting go of my old/bad dance habits, and replacing them with good ones. So for this reason, I think I need at least 2 classes a week. It's much easier to learn new habits from scratch than it is to break years of bad ones, in my opinion. When I dance at home, I just revert to what I'm used to (bad posture, less controlled movements). Basically I need someone to yell at me! :lol:

I don't need to be taught how to shimmy. I've been doing that for a looooong time. I need to be taught how to shimmy with some technique!!

Hope this gives you a better window on my situation.

Aisha Azar

Dance

DEar Midoria,

Responses below in context so I don't get confused.

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for your responses.

I wanted to start off with some clarification. :D I'm not a "beginner" in the way some other women are. I have years (and years, lol) of informal belly dancing experience due to me being a (non-practicing) Muslimah. So I kind of grew up doing/watching shimmies, hip circles, snake arms, shoulder rolls, at Eid parties, weddings, all-women gatherings, etc. Belly Dance was always the dance style of choice, even though it was just called "dancing". So it's more about cleaning up my execution/technique. The movements themselves are not at all new to me. The proper technique while doing them, however, is quite new.

A'isha writes- Having attended hundreds of Arab parties myself, and being a professional dancer of over 33 years, I can tell you there is a great deal of difference between shaabi dance and professional belly dance. The movements of shaabi are much more simple with less stress on posture and other elements than is raqs sharghi. It is, in reality a different dance than is done at parties, although there are some movements in common.

So, it's really not a matter of thinking I'm the next Dina or Suhaila after a few months of formal classes. It's more of me letting go of my old/bad dance habits, and replacing them with good ones. So for this reason, I think I need at least 2 classes a week. It's much easier to learn new habits from scratch than it is to break years of bad ones, in my opinion. When I dance at home, I just revert to what I'm used to (bad posture, less controlled movements). Basically I need someone to yell at me! :lol:

A'isha writes- How ,any classes you take is certainly up to you.

I don't need to be taught how to shimmy. I've been doing that for a looooong time. I need to be taught how to shimmy with some technique!!

A'isha writes- It you are not shimmying with the right techniques, then you are not shimmying. You are just shaking your body. Belly dance has many different kinds of shimmies, and they all are helpful in expressing feelings and the spirit of music and dancer, hand in hand.

Hope this gives you a better window on my situation.

Regards,
A'isha

sedoniaraqs

I once taught a 6 week beginner's class that met twice per week for an hour. I was amazed at how fast the students progressed in that 6 weeks as compared to the once per week classes I usually teach.

Unfortunately, it was not economically feasible for the gym owner to continue it because the class size was too small.

Sedonia

Midoria

Hi Sedonia,

It’s nice to get perspective of a teacher who has taught both one/bi weekly classes. Yes, that’s my feeling that I’d progress faster. Even amongst the beginner drop-in crowd, you can already tell the difference between the ladies who have done all/many of the drop-ins and the one’s who haven’t.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll probably do the 2 per week session and I’ll certainly let you know how it goes.

Safran

I agree with two classes a week for starters. A week between classes is enough to forget or to practice something wrongly on your own. And if you did more a week, it might be not as efficient - it is indeed more important to practicing at home on your own pace and to think things through for yourself.

Midoria

The dance studio has the winter schedule out already. I work two jobs, so my schedule is limited in the evenings. I’m thinking back to back classes (ex. Tues/Wed) are too much?

da Sage

The dance studio has the winter schedule out already. I work two jobs, so my schedule is limited in the evenings. I’m thinking back to back classes (ex. Tues/Wed) are too much?

I take my two weekly classes "back to back", and it's fine for me. Are you super-sore or mentally exhausted the day after class? If not, then Tues/Wed is probably fine.

I know a couple of dancers who take lots of classes, but don't practice much at home. They are very good dancers. Although I agree that it's better to be able to focus at home to perfect the technique learned in one weekly class...and lots cheaper, too.;)

Midoria

Hey De Sage,

Thanks for your reply!

I'm a little sore after class, but when I took Western dance (ballet, modern, tap) I was just as sore, and sometimes I took classes back. I'm also back on my pilates, and that should help with keeping my muscles stretched so I don't get as sore when dancing.

Yes, I'm aware how important practice is, but realistically, it probably won't happen much. I have only have 2 - 3 evenings off a week depending on the schedule. And come January, I'll be dancing on those nights.

I'm off every Saturday (my only day off), but I'm usually in a coma for most of the day. I rarely get off the couch, so I'm not sure how much dancing will get done then. I tried to watch a movie last Saturday and I slept through most of it...sad because it was a loud action flick! :lol:

Not my ideal situation, but I have to be honest with myself.

da Sage

Yes, I'm aware how important practice is, but realistically, it probably won't happen much. I have only have 2 - 3 evenings off a week depending on the schedule. And come January, I'll be dancing on those nights.
<snip>
Not my ideal situation, but I have to be honest with myself.

I think most dance students are in the same position. It's a constant struggle to find the time to fit in a class, much less practice at home.

If I had the self-discipline for extended practices at home, I'm sure I would progress faster. As it is, I almost always make it to my two classes, and I try not to resist those "dance time" impulses when they strike.:dance: Even though I don't always work on my weakest points at home:naghty:, I can keep my stronger skills brushed up.

Last edited: