Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A show? With all of us?

Hi everyone,

Just was thinking that with all the talent on this board maybe we could all somehow arrange a show (like Ozzfest) somewhere and do some kind of a three day concert type thing? I don't know if or how it would work but it would be great, especially the male bellydancers, to have all this talent showcased at one event. Maybe it could even become an annual thing or something, I don't know. What does everyone think?

-Brea

Post Thanks / Like

Default Show

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just was thinking that with all the talent on this board maybe we could all somehow arrange a show (like Ozzfest) somewhere and do some kind of a three day concert type thing? I don't know if or how it would work but it would be great, especially the male bellydancers, to have all this talent showcased at one event. Maybe it could even become an annual thing or something, I don't know. What does everyone think?

-Brea
    Dear Brea,
    And why would the male dancers be any more special than the rest of us? ( Although I do notice some propensity to treat male dancers as if they ARE more special, among dancers in general, whether or not they can even dance in some cases!!)
    Regards,
    A'isha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi A'isha-

Oh, I didn't mean it like that! I meant it more along the lines of 'they are rare so it is difficult to find more than one at a time, usually' whereas there are usually a higher number of female dancers. Everyone is spectacular, I think.
    Last edited by Brea; 03-26-2008 at 04:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default males, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Hi A'isha-

Oh, I didn't mean it like that! I meant it more along the lines of 'they are rare so it is difficult to find more than one at a time, usually' whereas there are usually a higher number of female dancers. Everyone is spectacular, I think.

-Brea Morgiane

Dear Brea,
    I have noticed among Middle Eastern dancers that there is a propensity for us to treat male dancers differently than we do female dancers. I have noticed over the years that many female dancers will defer to males, just as they would in a workplace or other situation, sort of automatically. It is rather a reverse sort of prejudice, and it is something that I have meant to address, but just never saw a really good opening until now. Often male dancers get special attention merely because they ARE male,rather than on dance merit. This is not to say that there are no really wonderful male dancers. I coached one of the best male dancers ever, so I know that some of do have something special, just as some female dancers do. But to get special attention merely on the novelty of being male is not enough. I just get a little sick of them being singled out on their male status alone.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

It's something I've found really interesting too. Whenever I am at belly dancing event which tend to be female-dominated, any male (not just dancer, other capacities too) seem to be treated as if they are special. There's always lots of whooping for the male dancer; and I was once in a workshop where the male drummer's mobile phone went off, while he was meant to be drumming for us, and he went to answer it, much to the tittering and giddiness of the participants. I don't believe such tolerance would have been shown the the female instructor. My take is that perhaps due to the female role in society as a carer, attention-giver, encourager of children and men (not saying it's right, or natural, but it exists), when faced with a lack of men, they then put all that caring, attention-giving, encouraging on the few men there are. My mum on the other hand saw it as a sexual thing, with the females whooping the male sexy moves. Find it very interesting.

(And I'm not getting at you Brea, I don't think it's a crime, just interesting)

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Eh...I didn't mean it that way. I am really just interested in thoughts on a show with everyone, maybe. Any opinions on that?
    Last edited by Brea; 03-26-2008 at 04:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

a show with everybody ,for everybody,nobody is a star,and we are all stars!!if those are rules i am in!! i think its a nice idea,but how where we all live aound the world in all corners how can we do it??but to meet everybody from the forum and have a ball YES!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

What about combining that with World Bellydance Day?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Often male dancers get special attention merely because they ARE male,rather than on dance merit.
    I don't want to create a flamefest, nor derail this thread, but...

Thank you for saying this - I agree wholeheartedly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I don't want to create a flamefest, nor derail this thread, but...

Thank you for saying this - I agree wholeheartedly.

Dear Zorba,
    I thought it was very relevant to the thread because of the way in which special attention was given to males in the introductory post. It is something that happens almost unconsciously for some people and I thought it deserved mentioning.This is not a slam against Brea, but a pointing out of the fact that female and male belly dancers are even treated differently by dancers themselves! If WE do this, how can we expect our audiences to be egalitarian in their treatment of dancers of both genders?
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast