A show? With all of us?

charity

Great idea Brea !!!
We could also have workshops, so here we are organizing the first OrientalDancer Festival????? Love the idea !!!
I'm in, in any case, even to travel for this.
Sharing our knowledge for all, with all the love we have for the dance.

Maria Aya ;)

yes workshops will give structure to this little get-together. and then at the end of workshop we can do a drum circle. and maybe have part of a day for yoga or stretching.

i will travel for this but i will need notice to request off from work. if this happens we will have to send out invites so everyone will have time to make arrangements.

i'm definitely in. it sounds like fun.

Brea

Hi everyone,

Oh, this is DEFINITELY happening! It is OK that Salome doesn't want to use the name of the forum or anything, because as was said, I really wanted it to be a chance for us to have a celebration and meet...but way more than that. I really want to do a real festival, a pretty big one, with workshops, vendors, performances, etc. Just let me know who wants to participate and in what fashion. I am already discussing this event with my editor in Honolulu and she is very excited about it. People in Hawai'i love to watch dancing anyway. If I do it on worldbellydance day that is in May but many people have told me June is better. I am still working things out...I am hoping to provide free accomodation and to pay the dancers with the proceeds from the show, as well as any dancer who wants to offer a workshop can make money that way. Plane tickets I don't know about yet, but my first degree was in travel and tourism and I specialize in budget travel so anyone needing help with tickets please contact me. Also I am a bus driver and have been a tour guide for years so my plan is to include free tours to nice spots only 'locals' really know about as part of the compensation.

So...c'mon everybody! Hawaiian vacation, free lodging, free tours, meeting people from here and other dancers from elsewhere? All you're out is a ticket and your food budget, souvenirs and any other little extras...but I guarantee you an amazing time. The bellydance community in Hawai'i is very friendly and supportive of all efforts of this nature. I am really hoping this becomes an annual event, hosted in a different place each year, and that it helps those of us who are still relatively unknown make more of a name for themselves in the community.

So..who's in? Leave a message on the website below and let me know, also what you'd like to help with or need help with.

(There is a possibility the show will be in Hilo instead of Honolulu but I haven't worked that part out yet...it shouldn't be long, less than a week, before I know for sure)

Moon

AAAAGH! This all sounds so GOOD!!!!

I don't even know if I have time in June to come, probably not because then I'm usually studying... But even with the cheapest tickets possible I'm affraid it will still cost me a lot of money :(
But it would be sooo cool if I could... and my bf already said in that case he wants to go with me :lol:
How many days is this event anyway?

Last edited:

TribalDancer

Free lodging?? How does that work?

And what about people coming with significant others? Will the lodging be available for couples?

Brea

Well, I know a lot of people on island...as well as here if it doesn't work out for me to move back at this juncture. I will try and make it possible for couples (I thought of that too!). We will just have to see!

Moon: the event will be three days. If it does take place in Hawai'i I would say five days total because the jet lag can be horrible. I really hope we can do it in either Honolulu or Hilo! My editor says Honolulu since there are so many more people out there.

Brea

Hi Salome,

Yes, I have. I produced a dance show in Cape Breton when I taught there. I used to own a bellydance supply store so I am familiar with vendors and such. I have produced other events as well, mainly Burns Suppers and ceilidhs. I still feel like I will be able to pull an event like this off, but any recommendations or advice are always welcome!

Last edited:

charity

yea may would not work for those in college. but june would be much easier. but how would the free lodging work?

i could make arrangements to stay with friends but i doubt i could extend that courtesy to others. i could just see it, oh btw i'm bringing 30 guests with me. hmm...we could all camp on the beach...get arrested, spend the night in jail. free lodging and free meal.

Lydia

HI Brea, the world bellydanceday last year took a lot of time to organise and in this country it is not easy to do a dance event.You need a lot of aprovals and paperwork to get permission to do it
And i have ofcourse my full time jobs aswell so it is a lot of work for me to do it
I know if i do that in May ,it is diffecult to go to another one in may or even June ...A lot of things in may that i suppose to do hade to wayt and i have to catch up after the event so its impossible for me to do another one so close to it
It,s a pitty that you dont make it like the worldbellydanceday you can do still the same things that you plan to do now it will be great and you can still have people coming from all over the globe ...So for me in the future it will be also more easy,because i can not organise the worldbellydanceday and than a orientaldanceday after that it is just not possible for me....I just dont like to commit to things that i am not sure ,that i can realy do and make it a succes......have a nice day Lydia

Salome

Administrator
I like the world belly dance day idea and it would be a shame to create a conflict betwixt the two...

Mya

i wouldn't be able to attend an event on the weekend of WBD - i'd be busy trying to organise one here! that might be a problem for others as well. Perhaps the event doesn't have to take place at the same date each year? Brea's may be in June next year but maybe Lydia's can coincide with WBD when she's organising it. Just a suggestion though.

Lydia

Hi Mya do you know how and what we do on the wbdday? are you aware how it all is working everybody can do it ...just in your own place...i am just wondering if you know how it works en because i believe you are still new to the forum so perhaps you dont know yet?? have a nice day Lydia

Mya

not at all still new lydia :)
i know what it's all about and luckily Anna's been helping me with some of my other stuff so if i need any advice i'm sure she'll help.
thanks for asking!

Brea

I was perfectly fine with the idea of doing it on world bellydance day. The only reason I wasn't going to was because I thought Lydia was asking me to do it at another time so she might attend...

However, the mention of people being in school and unable to come, as well as unable to come because they are organizing their own personal world bellydance days...these are issues.

Lastly, as it turns out, I will be in Minneapolis for the forseeable future so it appears that if I do this it will be taking place in Minnesota...which makes me feel that it should be during the summer months. I hope everyone is still interested in being involved; I realize that Minnesota isn't as exotic as Hawai'i but it is definitely easier and cheaper to get to.

Regarding lodging: I am going to research whether or not I am able to acquire free lodging as sponsorship. I have been able to get a great deal of things just by *asking* when I have planned my events. I am hoping this still rings true. It's amazing what you can get if you just ask for it.

Lydia

I was perfectly fine with the idea of doing it on world bellydance day. The only reason I wasn't going to was because I thought Lydia was asking me to do it at another time so she might attend... [/QUOTE=Brea;57954]

Hi Brea so sorry sweety......Sometimes i am to quick in saying okokok yes i can yes i do and then later on i think how i am i gonna do that me and my big mouth!! You was so enthousiastic and i just wanted to be with you in that ....But i know in is not possible for me around that time...i hope it is gonna work out ok for you ...have nice day Lydia

Last edited by a moderator:

Brea

I am still very excited about the festival...now I am only worried because perhaps having it in Minneapolis people will not want to come?

TribalDancer

Honolulu sure sounded more enticing, but Minneapolis is probably more affordable.

Do you have a list of people truly committed to coming, based on where it might be? Seems a lot of assumptions are being made about location and dates based on a very few people actually responding and partiicpating in this conversation...

Miranda Phoenix

I would love to come! I can also mention this to my classmates and see if any of them would be interested, although they won't get as much fun out of it since they won't be meeting cyberfriends. *grin*

About half of them, however, would only be able to do a weekend trip, due to work commitments.

Free or reduced lodging is a huge plus and will definitely help (broke) folks (like me) who wish to attend. When details get firmed up, Brea, I welcome your help on getting the best airfare, too.

Also, I'm an organizer by trade, as well as a sometimes webmaster - if you need any help that can be done long distance, give me a shout out.

A.C.

Brea

I know for certain Mya is planning to come, but that's the only person I have who is sure. I think the reason is that the dates and locations hadn't been decided. I have to change the website, too, and I have been busy with work so I will have to fix it this weekend.

Auntie Crazy- I'd love to have a webmaster, and a proper website if possible. I am working on the lodging possibilities as well. I will let everyone know when I have more information, which should be quite soon.