Post Thanks / Like

Question The ever-popular hip drops

Hello ladies! I'm wondering if I could have your insight While hip drops are classified as a basic move that we do without really having to think about it, lately I've discovered that I might be performing them "wrong."

I've noticed that I can do hip drops either from my obliques, butt, or legs and all look pretty different from each other. I tried to find some videos on youtube to illustrate that but I wasn't successful. So, I'll try to illustrate what I've discovered: When I use my obliques, my hips make a straight up and down line parallel to my body; when I use my butt, it goes slightly more to the side; and when I use my legs/knees, it looks more like a 3/4 shimmy. I don't know if this makes any sense or not. If I find any videos I'll post them here.

But what I'm wondering is what would be the "correct" way to do these? I know that the word "correct" in itself is a little too absolute, but I'm wondering.. are any of these techniques considered wrong? I haven't gotten too habitual about my hip drops so I feel like I could change technique if needed. I'd just hate knowing while I'm performing that other dancers are wondering what the heck I was trying to do with my hips

Thanks in advance!
    ~Eccaia

Post Thanks / Like

I'm way too new to say what's "right" or "wrong" but I've two thoughts. The first, maybe all three are "correct", just different from each other? It could be about which look you want to use when. Like the differences between a knee-shimmy and a glute-shimmy, you know?

And two - I am lucky enough to have a wonderful instructor who is very technique-driven in her teaching. Every move is defined by the way the body executes it. For hip drops (and hip ups), she teaches us first to use our obliques. So until you get clarification on which method is "correct", maybe you can just practice that one? Since at least one teacher subscribes to it?

Either way, good luck!

A.C.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no "wrong" way to do any of the movements -- unless it hurts you!

Correct-ness is a matter of style. For the most part, in Turkish style, hip drops are done more on the outside of your body. It's like you lift up and out, and then drop out and down. Egyptian style is more internal -- oblique driven, probably. You lift in and drop down, almost inside your own body.

Variations in bellydance movements -- it's like trading cards. Collect as many as you can, and then decide for yourself which ones you want to keep. Let the music tell you what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the subject of a DVD called Sizzling hips. The instructor actually discusses various basic moves and how using the skelton, the obliques, the glutes, etc change the look and drills you on these, including hip drops.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your responses!! Oh how embarassing that Ava's my teacher and yet I haven't even watched her very DVD that covers this.

Figures. Well I suppose now I'll need to put a few hints in to my fiance' for Christmas :cD