Costume smells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanazel

And Amonjure opens with a great suggestion! Welcome to the forum, and specifically to the threads of the costume obssessed!

Aniseteph

I found a deep red velvet blouse in a charity shop. It had a funny pong to it, but that's charity shops - so I washed it, Febrezed it, hung it out, left it in a sealed box with an open jar of febreze.... (repeat each step as necessary). Started making the costume, got bored (as you do) and put it away for a more enthusiastic moment... and the pong had come right back. :mad:

I'm uncovering the bra and binning the red, got a much nicer blouse in a sort of deep teal blue. And it doesn't smell :dance:

Darbla

I wonder if you could put charcoal in a little cloth bag and hang it with your costumes? That's supposed to be a de-stinker. Get the kind used in aquariums at a pet store.

gisela

Super Moderator
That's a good idea too. It makes me remember that here in Denmark there's a pretty new company called "sort of coal" (wordplay, as sort means black in danish). They have loads of different coal-purifiers for water, air, odor etc. I have no idea if it works though, but their products are very pretty (and pricey). have a look Products | Sort of Coal | Hakutan, Binchotan, White Charcoal

Darbla

I just read this on Egypt: Belly Dancing Costumes :
"...clean them by putting the pieces of the costume in nylon bags, put them in a Drywell bag with the cleaning sheet (available at grocery stores), put in the dryer for 30 minutes and then hang them back in the closet. They stay looking new."

That's not bad for all the decorations on a costume?

Shanazel

I've used the drier dry cleaning bags before and wasn't too happy with them. The brand I had, which I don't recall, depended heavily on perfume that I didn't care for (aah-CHU!!)

carmendances

I just bought a bottle of this stuff called Fresh Again for uniforms and costumes; it's the same stuff they use in the costume rental shops to keep them from smelling. It says on the back of the bottle "Prevents the rotting damage caused by perspiration to all fabrics, stitching, foams, and leather...Dry cleaning does not remove perspiration odor, in fact sets it."

You can get it at www.bellydanceshoppe.com; if she doesn't have it listed on the website email her at naj@bellydanceshoppe.com and she'll make sure you get some.

i went to the fresh again web site FRESH AGAIN Deodorant Sprays and ordered it directly. a bit pricey. but hopefully it will work. thanks for the recommendation. i will let everyone know once i get it shipped how well it works.
:)
other than this remedy, i have just been fabreezing or steaming my costumes.

shiradotnet

A very good solution is apple vineger, it doesn't make the fabrics loose color and kills all kind of bad smells, you can pour some in a container and leave the costume for some hours and then wash it with soft soap. Belive it works, my mother (mother of a hyperactive girl) testifies it :D

I would worry that the acid in the vinegar would either weaken the fiber of the fabric or damage the finish on the sparklies. Have you tried it on a belly dance costume?

carmendances

i went to the fresh again web site FRESH AGAIN Deodorant Sprays and ordered it directly. a bit pricey. but hopefully it will work. thanks for the recommendation. i will let everyone know once i get it shipped how well it works.
other than this remedy, i have just been fabreezing or steaming my costumes.

it has been a while since i've been on this forum, but i wanted to make a follow up on this Fresh Again spray.

it's a bit pricey, compared to say fabreeze, but it seems to do the job. i dance three nights a week in restaurants, so my costumes wreek of restaurant smells and cigarettes. i evenly and generously sprayed my costumes with this stuff and the smells seemed to be neutralized. they dont smell like the combination of sweat and restaurant.

one downside to Fresh Again is that the solution itself has a strong, potent smell. i am not sure the ingredients of this solution, but it is strong and i would advise to spray your costume outdoors and let them hang to air out. the overpowering smell with go away after a while when it dries.

if anyone else has used this spray, i would be interested to see how it worked for them.

shiradotnet

Does the strong chemical smell come back when the garment gets damp from dancing in it again, or is it truly gone after the garment dries?

carmendances

hmmmm...i have yet to wear the costume that i sprayed this stuff on, i was testing it on one costume just in case. but so far the chemical smell has gone away. i dont think it will come back. i will post an update, hopefully with an answer to your question, later after i've worn the costume again.

Seshat

I have removed stubborn perspiration smells/marks with ammonia diluted 50/50 with water. I haven't used it on dance costumes yet though.

carmendances

it has been a while since i've been on this forum, but i wanted to make a follow up on this Fresh Again spray.

it's a bit pricey, compared to say fabreeze, but it seems to do the job. i dance three nights a week in restaurants, so my costumes wreek of restaurant smells and cigarettes. i evenly and generously sprayed my costumes with this stuff and the smells seemed to be neutralized. they dont smell like the combination of sweat and restaurant.

one downside to Fresh Again is that the solution itself has a strong, potent smell. i am not sure the ingredients of this solution, but it is strong and i would advise to spray your costume outdoors and let them hang to air out. the overpowering smell with go away after a while when it dries.

if anyone else has used this spray, i would be interested to see how it worked for them.

I have tried most remedies for odor removal, and some work better than others. The Fresh Again spray works great for my costumes. After a show, I spray my costume and hang it to dry outside. But you have to let it dry completely or it doesnt work to it's full potential. If I dont have time to do this, then fabreze is my next option. Here is some more info I found on the Fresh Again spray and how it works.

Qamarain

Steam cleaning

I've been steaming my costumes for years using a domestic steam cleaner and it works great. Some of my costumes are very old but have no slightest track of smell.

After a sweaty gig, I let the costume dry in an open space for overnight, then steam it thoroughly the next day and let dry again for a couple of days. NEVER put the costumes in plastic bags - the smell will be guaranteed!

Steam is probably not enough for old odours, though... :confused:
But steaming the costumes regularly will prevent them from smelling and you will be able to wear them much longer and still feel fresh.

I also use steam cleaner to polish crystals, it makes them shine.

You might try to rub the inside of the costume with deodorant. It's just a temporary fix, even if it's washed and will smell when it's dry, the deodorant should cover the smell and you won't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.