Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Costume smells

Post Thanks / Like

And Amonjure opens with a great suggestion! Welcome to the forum, and specifically to the threads of the costume obssessed!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! No problem!

Suppose I should saunter on over to the "Welcome...." forum and intro myself, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like

I found a deep red velvet blouse in a charity shop. It had a funny pong to it, but that's charity shops - so I washed it, Febrezed it, hung it out, left it in a sealed box with an open jar of febreze.... (repeat each step as necessary). Started making the costume, got bored (as you do) and put it away for a more enthusiastic moment... and the pong had come right back.

I'm uncovering the bra and binning the red, got a much nicer blouse in a sort of deep teal blue. And it doesn't smell

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you could put charcoal in a little cloth bag and hang it with your costumes? That's supposed to be a de-stinker. Get the kind used in aquariums at a pet store.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good idea too. It makes me remember that here in Denmark there's a pretty new company called "sort of coal" (wordplay, as sort means black in danish). They have loads of different coal-purifiers for water, air, odor etc. I have no idea if it works though, but their products are very pretty (and pricey). have a look Products | Sort of Coal | Hakutan, Binchotan, White Charcoal
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

I just read this on Egypt: Belly Dancing Costumes :
    "...clean them by putting the pieces of the costume in nylon bags, put them in a Drywell bag with the cleaning sheet (available at grocery stores), put in the dryer for 30 minutes and then hang them back in the closet. They stay looking new."

That's not bad for all the decorations on a costume?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the drier dry cleaning bags before and wasn't too happy with them. The brand I had, which I don't recall, depended heavily on perfume that I didn't care for (aah-CHU!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suhad View Post
    I just bought a bottle of this stuff called Fresh Again for uniforms and costumes; it's the same stuff they use in the costume rental shops to keep them from smelling. It says on the back of the bottle "Prevents the rotting damage caused by perspiration to all fabrics, stitching, foams, and leather...Dry cleaning does not remove perspiration odor, in fact sets it."

You can get it at www.bellydanceshoppe.com; if she doesn't have it listed on the website email her at naj@bellydanceshoppe.com and she'll make sure you get some.

i went to the fresh again web site FRESH AGAIN Deodorant Sprays and ordered it directly. a bit pricey. but hopefully it will work. thanks for the recommendation. i will let everyone know once i get it shipped how well it works.

other than this remedy, i have just been fabreezing or steaming my costumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Is'adZahira View Post
    A very good solution is apple vineger, it doesn't make the fabrics loose color and kills all kind of bad smells, you can pour some in a container and leave the costume for some hours and then wash it with soft soap. Belive it works, my mother (mother of a hyperactive girl) testifies it
    I would worry that the acid in the vinegar would either weaken the fiber of the fabric or damage the finish on the sparklies. Have you tried it on a belly dance costume?