Costume smells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azeeza

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to get rid of the perspiration smell from a costume?

I recently purchased a costume from another dancer and it has the smell of old perspiration on it.

The lining of the bra and belt need to be changed, but is that enough to get rid of the smell?

I did wash the skirt and veil, four times and there is still a slight smell, so I "Febreezed" it. It's slightly better, but I can get gentle whiffs of the old perspiration on it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Azeeza

Shanazel

Ugh! Poor Azeeza. You might try contacting the costume department of a university to see how they deal with the problem in their theatrical costumes.

Moon

I read this on http://www.saqra.net/tips.html, it might be helpful:

Pack an old sock full of baking soda and rice and tuck it into a bra cup when you put your costume away (assuming we EVER put our costumes away) -- especially if you have the bad habit of storing your costumes in plastic bags. The baking soda will absorb any smell while the rice absorbs moisture. If you wear your socks to death, make a bag out of calico or any tightly woven natural fabric instead.

Azeeza

Shanazel and Moon:

THANKS FOR THE GREAT IDEAS!!!

Never in a million years would I have thought of contacting the theatrical department of a university to ask for advice.

And the baking soda and rice makes so much sense!!!

I'll change the lining and give the rice and baking soda a go and if that doesn't work, it will be the theatrical department!

Azeeza

Azeeza

I just bought something called END BAC. I saw a posting for it on another dance site.

This formula is made for mascot costumes. The person who posted it said it was OK for fabrics. When it arrives and I get a chance to use it, I'll let you know how it works.

Some of the dancers have used LYSOL, but one dancer said the smell just didn't go away after using LYSOL.

Azeeza

Shanazel

Several years ago, I bought a home dry cleaning kit that was made to be used in the drier for freshening up dry cleanables in between trips to the dry cleaners. It worked okay, as well as I remember. I don't know how tumbling in a drier might affect a costume, though.

Suhad

I just bought a bottle of this stuff called Fresh Again for uniforms and costumes; it's the same stuff they use in the costume rental shops to keep them from smelling. It says on the back of the bottle "Prevents the rotting damage caused by perspiration to all fabrics, stitching, foams, and leather...Dry cleaning does not remove perspiration odor, in fact sets it."

You can get it at www.bellydanceshoppe.com; if she doesn't have it listed on the website email her at naj@bellydanceshoppe.com and she'll make sure you get some.

Azeeza

Does It Work?????

I just bought a bottle of this stuff called Fresh Again for uniforms and costumes; it's the same stuff they use in the costume rental shops to keep them from smelling. It says on the back of the bottle "Prevents the rotting damage caused by perspiration to all fabrics, stitching, foams, and leather...Dry cleaning does not remove perspiration odor, in fact sets it."

You can get it at www.bellydanceshoppe.com; if she doesn't have it listed on the website email her at naj@bellydanceshoppe.com and she'll make sure you get some.

I love Naj! She's always been super sweet to me. I do remember some stuff on there called Fresh Again, but there was never a mention as to how it worked or what was in it, so I never bought any.

Does it work on smells that have already been set in, or is just for "fresh" smells???

I'm so tempted to buy some right now, but I really should wait until the End Bac arrives. That could be two weeks though :( .

The stinky costume is hanging in a room right now, but every time I walk into the room there is this sickening waft of B.O. in there. It makes me want to cry. It's even on the skirt that I washed three times. UGH.

Azeeza

Azeeza

Something interesting I noted yesterday.

Since there was no way that I was going to wear a stinky costume and there was no way that I could sell a stinky costume, I decided to douse it with my pet stain and odor remover.

The smell came out of the lining of the bra and belt, but it still smelled funny. So, I ran my hand across the beaded front and sniffed my hand and that was where the smell was coming from!

Is it possible that the previous owner wore the costume in a kitchen setting where she was going to perform and the smell is from the food and not B.O.???

I sprayed the beaded part with the pet stain/odor remover and it's gotten better, but still not 100% smell free. The back of the bottle reads it is safe for fabrics (leather included) and acrylic, so I figured the beads were probably OK.

Has anyone ever had food smells on their costumes, if so how do you get rid of them?

Azeeza

PS Still waiting for the End Bac to come.

Azeeza

I gave up. The costume is now soaking in laundry detergent in a bucket. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It was so putrid and I wasn't going to wear it when it smelled like that, so I thought what the heck?

I'll keep you updated.

Azeeza

Well, it definitely smells much better AND the crystals have shined up enormously. I wonder if there was a coating on it from something that was making it smell bad.

The question is, should I soak it a second time, this time longer?

I did note gold sparklies coming off in the water. The smell isn't completely gone though.

Azeeza

Last edited:

Suhad

Wow, you are dedicated....can we have pictures of this costume that is demanding all of this attention? You definitely have my curiosity aroused! :)

Azeeza

Well, the costume defintely smells much better, although the smell isn't completely gone.

The crystals have shine up quite a bit too. I wonder if there was an awful smelly coating on the beads and sequins and crystals that made it stinky.

Should I soak it a second time to get more smell and coating off? I did notice some tiny sparkles in the rinse water before I hung the set up to dry.

Any suggestions?

Azeeza

Is'adZahira

A very good solution is apple vineger, it doesn't make the fabrics loose color and kills all kind of bad smells, you can pour some in a container and leave the costume for some hours and then wash it with soft soap. Belive it works, my mother (mother of a hyperactive girl) testifies it :D

Azeeza

Oooh, THANK YOU!

A very good solution is apple vineger, it doesn't make the fabrics loose color and kills all kind of bad smells, you can pour some in a container and leave the costume for some hours and then wash it with soft soap. Belive it works, my mother (mother of a hyperactive girl) testifies it :D

Thank you so much for the idea. I may have to see if I can find apple vinegar at my local grocery store.

The smell is still on the costume, only not nearly as bad. I might be able to wear it now, where as before there was no way I was getting anywhere near it.

If I do the apple vinegar, I'll post how it turned out. But, for now, I'm going to see if I can live with it.

Thanks again,

Azeeza

Azeeza

Got the END BAC a few days ago. Sprayed the costume four times, used half the can and I just used it again to "wipe" the costume down.

It doesn't smell when you walk past it now, THANKFULLY! But, it still has this queer "fragrance" to it when you touch it.

I wonder if it is coming from the metallic beads that are interlaced with the glass beads?

At least now it's 100% better than it was. Not perfect, but acceptable!

Azeeza

Azeeza

I noticed last night that the sequins have lost their luster from the END BAC. The glass beads are fine as are the crystals.

Luckily for me, I only saw the worst damage along the edges of the bra, belt and skirt, so I won't have to replace all of them, just the straps and under the arms and possibly along the top and bottom edges of the bra, belt, and cut outs along the sides of the skirt.

More work for me, but at least now I can wear it where as before there was no "stinking" way I could.

Azeeza

Shanazel

Did the End Bac actually destroy the surface of the sequins, or is the the kind of thing where perhaps you can shine them up? You might have success shining up sequins with clear fingernail polish or clear acylic paint, but I'd try either substance first on a single sequin to make sure it doesn't eat them up.

Azeeza

Did the End Bac actually destroy the surface of the sequins, or is the the kind of thing where perhaps you can shine them up? You might have success shining up sequins with clear fingernail polish or clear acylic paint, but I'd try either substance first on a single sequin to make sure it doesn't eat them up.

I checked the sequins and found that the decorated surface is lifting from the plastic. I guess I destroyed the sequins that are around the edges with END BAC:( .

Azeeza

Status
Not open for further replies.