Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineT View Post
    Don't know if this will help Karena but I'm one of those who rolls eyes and everyone knows when I've made a mistake. I now tell my students - and myself - to smile harder when they/I make a mistake.

It's helped me mask the eye roll a bit!
    what kind of advice is that!

All say 'CHEESE' when you make a mistake??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    I, too, find it impossible to teach him how to hear the beat because it seems so natural to me.
    When I get immersed in the dance, I lose my rythm easily. When I tried ballroom dancing (not as a hobby), the dance instructors always asked me to listen to the rythm. I'm very sure I'm also that way in belly dancing, that is why I need to always count the steps, otherwise I get lost! How do you not lose the rythm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    when she goes wrong her face has "oops" written all over it! When we got told NOT to telegraph when we went wrong you could see "oops I went wrong" followed closely by
    Oooopss and scared rabbits

I unconsciously smile and stick my tongue out so rapidly like a frog when I make a mistake and was told to please avoid it and just continue as if nothing went wrong. It's difficult to kick that habit but gotta do it!

Post Thanks / Like

not say cheese!

But the effort in trying to smile stops me from grimacing automatically it just stops the lip from curling and the look heaven ward I do when I've messed up - but then I've always been a bit strange!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post

If you rehearse in front of a mirror, or at half-stretch, or with your eyes downcast, then when you get on stage you'll feel uncomfortable because something is different. Result - strained and unnatural facial expression!
    See, this is my problem...I feel my facial expressions are usually OK, but I really want to improve my eye direction and head angle. I actively work on those, especially the head now that I am working on balancing skills more. But of course eye direction and head angle are part of your facial expressions! So the line is blurry - I can't just throw it over and say "I'll just do what I feel!", when I am preparing for performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Dear Oz,
    One thing though, is that belly dance is a completely different form of art than ballet and the same "rules" do not apply. Belly dance is meant to be a very natural and not a supernatural process. It deals in humanness and not in story lines in the way that ballet generally does. There is less acting involved in the process of belly dance and more pulling from inside ourselves the feelings and responses that the music calls forth. A rehearsed face is not an asset in this case, because the music and one's personal response to it is in the moment.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    I feel there is nothing wrong with learning to move your face in a way that helps others understand your feelings. That is what language is, after all - and most people consciously choose to use "local lingo" as they deal with different groups, and people in different parts of the country/world. Why should emoting during dance be any different? I disagree with the idea that "practiced" is always equivalent to fake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaJP View Post
    How do you not lose the rythm?
    you see for me, how do you ever lose it?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    I feel there is nothing wrong with learning to move your face in a way that helps others understand your feelings. That is what language is, after all - and most people consciously choose to use "local lingo" as they deal with different groups, and people in different parts of the country/world. Why should emoting during dance be any different? I disagree with the idea that "practiced" is always equivalent to fake.
    The way I see it, people who say you shouldn't need to work on it are people who it is easy for. But I'm not someone who does say that, so what do I know really about the people who do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineT View Post
    Don't know if this will help Karena but I'm one of those who rolls eyes and everyone knows when I've made a mistake. I now tell my students - and myself - to smile harder when they/I make a mistake.

It's helped me mask the eye roll a bit!
    It's food for thought. You see maybe smiling when you do will actually end up neutral as you have a bit of smile and a bit of grimace. s+g=n (where s = smile, g = grimace)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Facial expressions

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    The way I see it, people who say you shouldn't need to work on it are people who it is easy for. But I'm not someone who does say that, so what do I know really about the people who do.

It is not a matter of knowing or not knowing "how" to have a certain facial expression. If you look at the videos of the dancers from Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey, you will see everything from outright grimaces to angelic smiles. they allow themselves to respond naturally because they fully accept that it is not about looking pretty or having a pleasant expression, This is much more difficult for westerners for the most part because they have a different expectation of how they should "look" while they are dancing. The natives very seldom worry about how their face looks, so you get a gamut of expressions. There is no such thing as the "right" expression.
    I know dancers who have spent so much time worrying about how their face their hair and their fingernails and toe nails and their costumes look, which angle to turn so they "look" just right etc, that they completely forget to dance! It is good to try to look nice, but there is such a thing as worrying too much about that instead of dancing. Now, if you are like the person who stuck her tongue out without knowing it, this is a little different. But, I would advise all dancers to look at some videos of the native dancers to see just how important it is to let your face respond naturally, as your body should, to the music.
    I have been and still am that person who's face is never perfect. Just go to my website and look at the photos to verify that. I guess I could stress myself out over it, but after I have seen the natives in action, I realize that it a non-issue.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast