Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, in that clip it looks like she's trying to abuse the veil.

Maybe this is a little bit off-topic question, but the "feeling the music" thing reminded me of it: Did you ever had the experience that you almost had to cry during bellydance, just because you like the music and the dance so much? It almost happened to me once in class. Fortunately no-one noticed it I wander if a crying dancer would look very strange during a performance

Post Thanks / Like

Actually a crying dancer might not look as strange as you think. As any one of our experts might tell you, a lot of the older or 'classical' bellydance music had very sad, very emotional subject matter and it was not uncommon to see a dancer interpreting the music with her facial expressions as well as her movements (I think we had a thread pertaining to this before, didn't we?). If you go back to clips of Mona el Said, you'll see her sometimes dance with a sorrowful expression.... maybe even close to tears...

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that thread, but I thought it was only about sad facial expressions (maybe on perpose) and not because you suddenly feel like crying?

Do they only use these facial expressions together with music with lyrics, or also with only instrumental music?

Post Thanks / Like

:o well, to be honest, I haven't the slightest idea if it's only with music with lyrics or not.... I can't seem to remember a specific example right now....
    I do know that the facial expressions, in some cases, are on purpose and it looks a bit exaggerated... I think we mentioned someone specifically.... but as a musician before a dancer, it is my personal experience that a person could actually be brought to tears in the middle of performance just from the sheer emotion of it... when the connection between sound and soul (and in the case of dance, movement also) is so great that it overwhelms.... does that make any sense?

Post Thanks / Like

It does. Thanks Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

re: the clip. I didn't notice the see-through skirt. I was too busy noticing that you didn't see her face except in brief flashes during a turn for the first minute and forty seconds... and then there was the making a bed style of veil work and the endless repetition and the heaving on the floor... I realize I am being very negative, and I am sorry being such a BOB, but really, one should have a little more grace and style before performing in public. I saw a number on her costume, so maybe it was student night?

(Oh, dear, someone get me a dish for my milk)

re: what catches my eye: skill, elan, and passion (and by passion, I do not mean anything that looks like it ought to be done in the privacy of one's own bedroom). I also like a nice costume that suits the dancer and doesn't overwhelm her (the old problem of the costume wearing the dancer instead of the other way around- some of us were simply not made for shoulder to knee beaded fringe.)
    Last edited by Shanazel; 07-12-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

(Oh, dear, someone get me a dish for my milk)
    Shanazel, a favorite line of ours out here when we're being, less than kind shall we say , is "Would you like that milk in a bowl or from the source?" LOL

So what "catch" are eye in a performance?
    Let's see, for me what catches my eye above and beyond anything else is probably if the dancer is enjoying themselves. I've seen beautiful dancers, with perfect costumes, incredible tecnique and boring as all get out to watch because they just aren't having fun and enjoying themselves. On the other hand I've seen dancers with half as much skill, not so perfect costume, but completely thrilled to be doing what their doing and they are totally engrossing to watch. I do agree, good tecnique, costumeing, and polish create a beautiful performance but if the joy in what they are doing isn't there it just doesn't have the "it" factor for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it catches my eye when the dancer has good technique, but is also graceful and has passion for the dance.

Another question: what catches your eye as "irritation factor"?
    For me it is that "look how sexy I am and don't mind if I'm a good dancer or not"-attitude (like the video-clips of that turkish dancer Zumre), and high heels (It might be normal for Lebanese dancers but I still think it looks sooo weird)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I saw a number on her costume, so maybe it was student night?

I believe this is from a Russian contest, but I'm not too sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    and then there was the making a bed style of veil work and the endless repetition and the heaving on the floor...

LOL!!!! Making the bed style veil work! I have never heard that so accurately described! That phrase should be institutionalized as the official description of the overzealous, attack-veil that many people so fondly adopt. As for the heaving, she looked vaguely like she might be going into convulsions....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast