Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Call in the belly dance police...

I've been thinking long and hard about whether to post this and whether I'm being a total condescending and unsupportive BOB here, but.... sorry ladies (& gents) but I GOTTA VENT!!!!!!!

I was handed a flyer at a MED event. A troupe, "the ****** (insert region)'s premier fusion belly dance troupe", are holding an open evening for potential new members. Great, I think. We don't have many troupes hereabouts as far as I know, up the profile of belly dance, good for them for inviting new dancers and not being a clique, and generally YAY!

But read on.... "Basic belly dance experience required but not essential, although experience an advantage." Slight WTF!? moment. Premier belly dance fusion troupe... belly dance experience not essential. How can this be? How can anyone describe their troupe as premier XYZ then say you don't need XYZ experience to do it?

It gets worse. I'm pretty sure it was the same group who performed on the open stage - if it was and they feel they are flying the flag for belly dance fusion anywhere, I am appalled. I don't want ANYONE, dance scene or general public, to think that is what belly dance, fused or not, is about.

If a group of dancers of whatever ability want to get together and have a fun troupe, do the odd amateur performance where everyone knows that is what they are, that is great, but premier??? . Who, to quote the Spice Girls*, do you think you are? Where's the respect for the dance that, if you asked, I'm sure they would all say they loved? Surely any students serious enough to form a troupe should know a bit about what they are doing and realise that they are, er, not premier just yet. Or they should be advised by a responsible teacher. (OK, I think I know the answer to that one... ).

And we wonder why some people think belly dance is a joke . There's bad stuff happening and IMHO the supportive sisterhood can sometimes shoot itself right in the foot. Sometimes don't you just wish the belly dance police would smash the door down and tell people You're Busted.......

Eurgh, rant over. And I don't feel any better. Do I earn my BOB badge yet?

* actually the performance and another Spice Girls hit tells me pretty accurately who they think they are, ha ha ha. That's quite funny... I AM a BOB

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    And we wonder why some people think belly dance is a joke . There's bad stuff happening and IMHO the supportive sisterhood can sometimes shoot itself right in the foot. Sometimes don't you just wish the belly dance police would smash the door down and tell people You're Busted.......
    GAH! This just makes me fume. I see cr*ppy teachers writing all sorts of ludicrous hyperbole into their publicity and it seems that their students just follow suit. If this particular troupe think they're "premier", what does that say about the rest?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default No experience needed!!

Dear BOB.. er.. Aniseteph,
    I truly hope that people will see your point on this. I certainly do. I am proud of you and think you deserve to pat yourself on the back for daring to point this out.... no matter who is going to shove themselves down your throat for not towing the politically correct line. If anyone gives you an trouble, let me know and I will put on my big shiny glitzy belly dance police badge and break down that door right beside you!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I always wanted to be a trapeze artist. Perhaps the way to start is a good advertising campaign and fliers to be handed out at the next circus that comes to town: "Premier trapeze artists troupe forming: basic aerial experience welcome, but not required. Bring your own rope."

The first performance should be a smashing success. I am perfectly qualified to start this troupe- I once had a tree swing, you know.

Post Thanks / Like

That is really bad!!! You did well Aniseteph!!!

On this note, I think we should start recruiting for the bellydance police academy. How about I nominate A'isha to head the BPA. I am recuriting myself as BD detective sargent. LOL.

Hugs
    Janaki

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Detective Sargeant Janaki,
    YOU ARE SO DARN ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs back,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

OMG... ALL I CAN SEE IN MY HEAD IS THOSE BRA'S... from the James Bond film.... no tassels... just guns.... eeeek cannot believe I am saying this... but can that be part of the uniform????
    (at least if we get to go "undercover"!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omg

Dear Belly Dancer,
    You can be the official BDPD ( Belly Dance Police Department) uniform designer.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Belly Dancer,
    You can be the official BDPD ( Belly Dance Police Department) uniform designer.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    whhheeeee....we could have "convertible" capes (in case we feel the need to break into a spontaneous veil entrance (or whole dance for us am cabbies)
    AND of course we will keep our various "weapons" (swords, canes, etc.)...balanced on our heads... & we would run better with them than "charlie's angels" did in high heels (oooohhhh when do we get our own TV series.....)

Post Thanks / Like

And I will be chief torturer - playing my zills very, very, very badly indeed.
    You gals make me laugh so hard I nearly wet myself!!

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast